Watch the wind blow my bike over - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-Nov-2017, 03:31 PM (897) Thread Starter

Watch the wind blow my bike over

I live in Vancouver B.C. I decided to drive my 2016 BMW R1200GSA through the United States to St Johns Newfoundland and back to Vancouver. In August 2016 I was in South Dakota driving to the entrance of Badlands National Park. I passed the sign and thought, man, that would make a nice picture. It was 105 F. and very windy. I drove back to the sign and put my bike on the side stand right nest to the sign. As I was focusing the camera, the wind blew my bike over and the bike crashed against the sign! I was horrified at what I saw because from where I was standing it looked like the gas tank crashed against the sign. I ran over to the bike and tried to lift it upright but it was too heavy so I started tearing all of the luggage off the bike. When I got the luggage off, I could only lift the bike a little so I panicked and lunged at the bike with all of my strength. I felt something twing in my left arm and watched my left bicep slowly move up to my shoulder!! I snapped the tendon holding my bicep to my elbow. I gave up lifting the bike. Eventually two guys on Harleys stopped and helped me get the back back upright. I went into the park that night and set up my tent. The next day, I headed back to Vancouver to get my arm fixed. The good news is I tried doing the trip again in May 2017 and I made it from Vancouver to St. Johns Newfoundland and back in 6 weeks and 17,500 kilometers.
Attached Images

Ryno23, Vatu, sjadvrider and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-Nov-2017, 02:36 PM (858)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Thumbs down Wrong . Wrong.wrong

There are plenty of videos on here on how to lift a bike off the ground safely.
I suggest you google it, if you haven't already, just in case you have to do that again.
I have to pick mine up of the ground at least once a month, so i have got it down pat now.

Good to hear you have healed ok, and completed the ride.
happyjoe likes this.

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 83000 km and going as good as new.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-Nov-2017, 02:57 PM (872)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Was the gas tank (or other part of the bike) damaged? Sorry to hear about your arm - how's the recovery going?

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-Nov-2017, 05:23 PM (974)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Holly hell

You are the 2nd person in as many weeks that this happens to. My friend was taking off a boat cover full of rain water and bam, he looked like Popeye.

Hope you PT is helping you regain your strength and motion.

Have you installed a kickstand foot on it since the event?

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-sid...id/1543/cid/46
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-Nov-2017, 10:37 PM (192)

No Slopes

I got burned a couple time where there was a slight downward slope and the sidestand retracted.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2017, 07:24 AM (558)

I have a GSA and it's the lower version to boot. I have to pay very close attention to how I park it as well, always trying as much as it is possible to park at a slight decline towards the kickstand side. I also have a Wunderlich foot pad and with the 3 little spikes on the bottom of those that actually raise it ever so slightly so even a flat surface it is sometimes sketchy.
Southpaw likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2017, 08:48 AM (616)

Garage
Talking

Sorry to hear about your accident. But the positive side to this is that you can learn a lot.

1. Never panic. Do not attempt to lift bike or do anything quickly once an accident happened. It is human nature to try to rectify the error, but believe me, if you take some minutes to calm down, you can save yourself and your bike from more damage.

The only exception to this is if you or the fallen bike is in danger of making more accidents or damage, then try to remove the bike quickly.

2. Learn to lift the heavy bike in a proper way. As someone said here, google / youtube search it.

3. You can always wait for help. Usually bikers who see a fallen comrade will stop and assist. (some are laughing their ass off, because they scored a good campfire story)

4. Always park the bike in a good way, especially if there are huge winds around. Also get the side-stand extensions (eg: Touratech, Wunderlich all kinds of brands have this) for only say 30-50usd. Some innovative people even build their own (I call them cheapos)

5. Stay safe and ride safe. If needed, visit the gym sometimes for building some arm and torso muscles.

~Happy Joe
LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ... if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2017, 07:54 AM (579)

Riding down the west coast of Newfoundland and stopped along the cliffs to take a pic and as I stepped off the wind nearly sent it over. That was the strongest steady wind I have experienced, brutal day of riding.

Even fully loaded I don't have a problem lifting the bike with the correct technique. It doesn't hurt to build up some leg strength by doing squats, don't need weights, just do them several times a day.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2017, 09:13 AM (634)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
South Dakota = Wind apparently

My friend and I left Georgia and road west south west to SanFrancisco then up to Vancouver in mid may and visited Vancouver while near by . We then went to Masoula Montana for a service on the bike and on his HD as well and then went across South Dakota and visited the bad lands similar to your trip . I asked a local if the winds blew this hard and constant always and he said it did pretty much all the time. How the heck I wondered do you enjoy a motorbike in that and of wind. It was hard to even stay in a lane and passing trucks was very sketchy at best. When the wind was in front of us we really used a LOT more fuel as well. Next time I willl probably avoid SD altogether. LOL
Ditto on the how to pick up a bike video. There are lots of opinions but I have learned to do the lifting with my legs when possible if alone . Hernias are not worth it. l

cheers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2019, 09:34 AM (607)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I got burned a couple time where there was a slight downward slope and the sidestand retracted.
Yes that happened to me with my 06 wing...Now if I'm in doubt I shut if off in gear.
Rick92040 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode