AFib caused crash - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-Jul-2018, 08:27 PM (060) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
Yep. Only once while I was riding. I can tell when it starts and I pulled over on the side of the road for 20 minutes until it passed and I felt better. My brother and I were on a long trip and he didn't see that I stopped. It took awhile to re-connect with him. That was before we used the Sena units. While I still have an occasional bout it hasn't happened again while riding. I'm not on medication.
Thanks for sharing Rick.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-Jul-2018, 08:29 PM (062) Thread Starter

Garage
Rode the bike home today. No strange vibes or wobbles on the bike or me.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-Jul-2018, 08:31 PM (063) Thread Starter

Garage
Supposed to go to Rawhide next week? Tough decision to make.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Jul-2018, 02:02 AM (293)

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Jul-2018, 06:49 AM (492) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Great article. Thanks Clay.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-Jul-2018, 08:31 PM (063) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
Rode the bike home today. No strange vibes or wobbles on the bike or me.
Took the wheels in to get some knobbies put on for Rawhyde and found the rim bent badly with lose spokes. Had to replace it. Called woody's rim repair, would have been about the same and would take longer.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2018, 05:31 AM (438)

I have a 52 year old friend with whom I do a couple of long rides with every year. This guy is in extremely good shape. He's a Crossfit competitor with a lean (six pack) kind of athletic build. Over the past year he's gone to a vegetarian diet and is about the most health conscious and knowledgeable person I know. On our ride in April, he announced on the intercom that he wanted to stop for a few minutes. One of the guys chastised him saying we're going to stop for lunch in about 10 miles. A few minutes later he said he wasn't feeling good and was stopping so we all rounded up in the shade off the road where we heard that his heart was racing and that he "just didn't feel right." It passed after about 20 - 30 minutes and we rode on to lunch.

After lunch it happened again, and again after about 20 minutes he felt he was good to go. We stopped early that day and just relaxed for the afternoon speculating that it might be food related. He normally doesn't have much caffeine or sugar in his diet and that morning, boys being boys, we all went out for a big pancake breakfast. So his first thought was that it was triggered by the coffee.

He skipped the coffee and pancake the next day and was fine. On the next day, he had another big pancake but still skipped the coffee and had another episode later in the morning. At the time he was just happy that he felt he could drink coffee and skip the pancake - which he did for the rest of the trip and had no further problems - well, at least that he admitted to.

But now, based on what happened to Ryno, I'm wondering if the big sugar/caffeine change in his diet triggered an afib attack or if it was blood sugar related. In hindsight, hearing what happened to you Ryno, I feel we all took these event too lightly.

The crazy thing is that of the four of us, he's by far in the best shape and youngest of the group. The rest of us are 60 years old, carrying a few extra lbs in our abdomen, and probably don't exercise as much as we should.

There's probably a moral to this story but I'm not sure what it is other than listen to your body and no harm ever came from just stopping under a shade tree with a bottle of water until you feel solid to ride.
Ryno23 likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2018, 06:05 AM (462)

Much more common than most think..low magnesium levels due to dehydration..

Magnesium for Atrial Fibrillation, Myth or Magic? | Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 22-Jul-2018, 07:36 PM (025) Thread Starter

Garage
Had another AFib episode on Friday. Fortunately I was not driving this time. Ended up in ER with a heart rate that topped out at 212. Scared the @#$% out of me! ER Doc changed my meds and this time included a anti-coagulant. Seeing a Cardiologist in early August, that's the earliest i can get in around here. Been on a few local short rides, just dont feel comfy enough for a long ride. Canceled my Rawhyde trip too.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2018, 04:02 AM (376)

I'm so sorry. I'm glad they were able to stabilize you. Praying they find the right meds for you to get it under control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
Had another AFib episode on Friday. Fortunately I was not driving this time. Ended up in ER with a heart rate that topped out at 212. Scared the @#$% out of me! ER Doc changed my meds and this time included a anti-coagulant. Seeing a Cardiologist in early August, that's the earliest i can get in around here. Been on a few local short rides, just dont feel comfy enough for a long ride. Canceled my Rawhyde trip too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode