AFib caused crash - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2018, 11:48 AM (700)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
But now, based on what happened to Ryno, I'm wondering if the big sugar/caffeine change in his diet triggered an afib attack or if it was blood sugar related. In hindsight, hearing what happened to you Ryno, I feel we all took these event too lightly.
You can't say or assume that without a cardiac workup, re coffee or blood sugar or electrolytes ( potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium etc). It very dangerous to self treat or assume. AFib can be a life-threatening condition esp when new onset. It may "progress" into V-Fib, and THAT WILL kill you.
Everyone should know how to take their pulse--do it in the wrist, not the neck in cases of arrhythmia (pressure on the carotid baroreceptors affect heart rhythm). In retrospect yes, taken too lightly, but you had no way of discerning between wuss and AFib or any other in the pantheon of heart rhythm disturbances. I am actually surprised that when the first episode happened, June 29???, no appointment was made with cardiology then? In fact, this, if this was the first episode, it is by definition new onset AFib...when we encounter this we get people seen that day. In a big USA ER cardiology will be called in to run the show. Finally, anti coags on board. They need to be monitored with blood work.

Quote:
The crazy thing is that of the four of us, he's by far in the best shape and youngest of the group. The rest of us are 60 years old, carrying a few extra lbs in our abdomen, and probably don't exercise as much as we should.
totally irrelevant in this case. Assuming is a dangerous proposition. If you're talking coronary artery disease, ok, maybe, not arrhythmias though--different animal. Can happen in the fit and the unfit.

Quote:
There's probably a moral to this story but I'm not sure what it is other than listen to your body and no harm ever came from just stopping under a shade tree with a bottle of water until you feel solid to ride.
that's probably true.

the most dangerous thing about these intermittent bouts of anything, is that they are easy to deny, to ignore. Simply because they go away doesn't mean they did not happen and will not again, maybe with different outcomes. That is seen that a lot in people suffering angina, complete denial. Obviously that is not the case here.

If there is a takeaway other than get it worked up asap, it is this: I have found that when a patient tells you they "just don't feel right," that should be a red flag to investigate further, at least with a set of vital signs. It may be nothing, but it may be something. Never ever blow it off. Sometimes they cannot put it into words as the sensations are/can be quite vague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2018, 04:34 PM (899) Thread Starter

Garage
Last night I had an Ablation to my heart due to the AFib/SVT I had.
Doctor says they were able to get the area that was causing problems and the procedure has a 95% success rate.
The heart will take a few days to settle down, but I already feel better and have a lower and steady heart beat.
Little sore at the entry points they used, but that will pass.
I won't be riding the rest of this week, but I expect to be back on the road next weekend. It will be great riding not wondering all the time if I will have another AFib episode.
Thanks to all of you that replied to my original post and offered kind words and knowledge (Dr. Strangelove).

Mark.
Crowbar, rsmith, Advart and 1 others like this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2018, 05:32 PM (939)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
Last night I had an Ablation to my heart due to the AFib/SVT I had.
Doctor says they were able to get the area that was causing problems and the procedure has a 95% success rate.
The heart will take a few days to settle down, but I already feel better and have a lower and steady heart beat.
Little sore at the entry points they used, but that will pass.
I won't be riding the rest of this week, but I expect to be back on the road next weekend. It will be great riding not wondering all the time if I will have another AFib episode.
Thanks to all of you that replied to my original post and offered kind words and knowledge (Dr. Strangelove).

Mark.
Good news indeed!!!
Ryno23 likes this.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2018, 07:58 PM (040)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
You can't say or assume that without a cardiac workup, re coffee or blood sugar or electrolytes ( potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium etc). It very dangerous to self treat or assume. AFib can be a life-threatening condition esp when new onset. It may "progress" into V-Fib, and THAT WILL kill you.
Everyone should know how to take their pulse--do it in the wrist, not the neck in cases of arrhythmia (pressure on the carotid baroreceptors affect heart rhythm). In retrospect yes, taken too lightly, but you had no way of discerning between wuss and AFib or any other in the pantheon of heart rhythm disturbances. I am actually surprised that when the first episode happened, June 29???, no appointment was made with cardiology then? In fact, this, if this was the first episode, it is by definition new onset AFib...when we encounter this we get people seen that day. In a big USA ER cardiology will be called in to run the show. Finally, anti coags on board. They need to be monitored with blood work.

totally irrelevant in this case. Assuming is a dangerous proposition. If you're talking coronary artery disease, ok, maybe, not arrhythmias though--different animal. Can happen in the fit and the unfit.

that's probably true.

the most dangerous thing about these intermittent bouts of anything, is that they are easy to deny, to ignore. Simply because they go away doesn't mean they did not happen and will not again, maybe with different outcomes. That is seen that a lot in people suffering angina, complete denial. Obviously that is not the case here.

If there is a takeaway other than get it worked up asap, it is this: I have found that when a patient tells you they "just don't feel right," that should be a red flag to investigate further, at least with a set of vital signs. It may be nothing, but it may be something. Never ever blow it off. Sometimes they cannot put it into words as the sensations are/can be quite vague.

Said like a true sleep Doc....awesome!!
Glad ur ok body after the ablation
Ryno23 likes this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2018, 06:15 AM (469)

Garage
Thumbs up

Good to hear your news Mark! Thanks for sharing, as many of us reach the age for things to start happening, your experience helps us.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2018, 09:52 AM (619)

Garage
Great to hear.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2018, 04:40 PM (902)

Ablation

Mark, good news for sure. I had the procedure in 1995 and had to have an additional procedure a month later, no problems since that time. Doctor indicated they did not want to ablate any more than was needed since adding a pacemaker may be necessary if over done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode