AFib caused crash - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 09:04 AM (586) Thread Starter

Garage
AFib caused crash

Unknown to me I have had AFib for quite some time. Well, it reared its head in a big way Friday afternoon. I had just exited I-80 west and was cruising through Verdi at 35 mph on my way to get some lottery tickets. Got a racey heart and flushed feeling and blacked out while riding. Ended up riding bike into far side of a rocky ditch. Came to at the end and crawled off. I broke my nose and got admitted to Renown for a couple days where they diagnosed me with Atrial fibrillation. Haven't seen bike since the a accident, will check on it soon. I consider myself very fortunate. Ten minutes earlier and I'm still on I-80 and who knows what the end result would have been.

My main reason for posting this is to see if anyone else has AFib and still rides? I know its personal so please PM so I can talk to you about it. Thanks.

Mark

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 04:39 PM (902)

Really sorry to hear about your biff. Heal up and see what the doc says about remedies to keep you from taking a nap. Sounds like you were really lucky on the accident though.
Ryno23 likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 04:45 PM (906)
Naviator

Garage
Holy Smokes! Glad that this episode didn't go any worse for you, I've been reading your posts for what seems like years.
Keep us posted on yourself, the bike is probably a write-off.
Ryno23 likes this.

2013 R1200GSW

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 04:57 PM (914)

OMG! I'm glad you are okay.

Geez, what a way to learn you have AFib. I really wish you the best. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 06:43 PM (988) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advart View Post
OMG! I'm glad you are okay.

Geez, what a way to learn you have AFib. I really wish you the best. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Only 60. Been an ongoing issue since early 2000's, but was never able to capture an event. We have now.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 06:45 PM (989) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Holy Smokes! Glad that this episode didn't go any worse for you, I've been reading your posts for what seems like years.
Keep us posted on yourself, the bike is probably a write-off.
Saw the bike today, actually in really good shape. Guess I was fortunate there too.
JetSpeed likes this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 06:45 PM (990) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
Really sorry to hear about your biff. Heal up and see what the doc says about remedies to keep you from taking a nap. Sounds like you were really lucky on the accident though.
Yes, extremely lucky.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2018, 08:11 PM (049)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
some jumbled knee jerk thoughts...

drugs can control it, but it would theoretically always be a "worry." Procedures (Ablation) can be considered if the "bad area/nerves" can be discerned. The offending area is burned (ablated) so it doesn't fire anymore, thus knocking out the cause.
Most people respond to medical (drug) therapy and respond well. Some are candidates for ablation. IOW, there may be an electro-physiologist in your future

People with it controlled drive cars and otherwise have no limitations on their lives other than "being careful."
But, as we all know motorcycles are different. Still, driving a car and "syncope" could be fatal, and such patients DO drive.

One thing to consider is the anticoagulants you are on. Anticoagulation and motorcycle crashes are not a happy combo. Not all anticoagulants are equal. A baby aspirin is way more benign than warfarin.

Have you done the halter thing yet? There are devices that are implanted and connect to your smartphone which calls in to an MD on a daily basis for a read of the prev 24hrs ECG. Amazing tech

Just because afib does not always lead to passing out as you did, it still can be dangerous.

I would guess that at least until you are cleared by a cardiologist, your riding is on hiatus. There are no studies out there investigating afib and motorcyclists.

At least two major issues can be life-threatening, apart from riding a mc.
Clots are dangerous, forming in the heart and getting "thrown" to wherever they may land, like lungs (pulmonary embolism) or brain (stroke). Hence stop clots with anti-coags

the other is if the fibrillating atria get those fibrillating impulses down into the ventricles--the heart fails as a pump. There are check points in the way like the "AV Node." The AV Node is your friend.

I am thinking that anyone treating you, when asked if you can ride, would first respond with "Are you nuts?" But it would not be unreasonable to persist a bit and ask, once you are controlled can you revisit the question?

I will add that there are some patients out there who have one episode of it and then no more.

But, right now, you are lucky to have survived as well as you did.

one last thing and please keep us posted, but you do know how to feel your pulse, right? Do the wrist, not the neck. You do not want to be pressing on your neck.
Anyway, the pulse of afib is described as "irregularly irregular," meaning it is irregular in a random, irregular way. Sometimes pulses can be irregular, but the pattern repeats. Not so in Afib, irregularly irregular. You won't have to imagine it. That irreg irreg can be a bit harder to tell if your pulse is faster.

When you are controlled, your pulse will be pretty regular
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-Jul-2018, 11:19 AM (679)

Garage
Dang Mark!! I hate to hear your news. Like others, glad you survived. You're a tough guy and I wish you a positive recovery!
Ryno23 likes this.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-Jul-2018, 12:54 PM (746)
Super Awesom Person

Yep. Only once while I was riding. I can tell when it starts and I pulled over on the side of the road for 20 minutes until it passed and I felt better. My brother and I were on a long trip and he didn't see that I stopped. It took awhile to re-connect with him. That was before we used the Sena units. While I still have an occasional bout it hasn't happened again while riding. I'm not on medication.
Dr. Strangelove and Ryno23 like this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode