MABDR Mishap - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By ExHarley Rider
  • 1 Post By Standupnfall
  • 2 Post By JetSpeed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 08:01 AM (584) Thread Starter

MABDR Mishap

Here are some observations from my October 4, 2018 mishap. I will not provide many details unless they pertain to these observations.
First off, I would like to thank the members of the Pendleton County Emergency Services for getting me off the mountain, a couple of which drove their personal pickup trucks to get to me where the ambulance couldn't go.
I am told that where I lay in the middle of a national forest road at about 5pm, I was about 30 minutes from any cell service. I have carried some sort of tracking device for several years. I always carry it in a jacket pocket. My current one is a Delorme (now Garmin) inReach Explorer. I like it because it allows me to send text messages, when linked to my cell phone, to anyone via satellite. The press of a single button notified an emergency response center of my location and we were able to communicate my status and possible injuries. They notified local ERS, my wife and my brother and kept them updated as to my status until handed off to emergency responders, about 6pm. I highly recommend carrying some similar device for anyone hiking, camping, biking anywhere cell service is not reliable.
My rescuers, in conjunction with the local hospital, determined that the possible extent of my injuries warranted transport by helicopter to a larger hospital that would have the required facilities to treat my injuries. After being move on a back board by pickup truck to an awaiting ambulance I was taken a short distance to a place where the helicopter could and about 8:30pm was delivered to a level 1 trauma center. Then bill for this 20 minute helicopter ride was about $45,000.00.
At the hospital, I was able to give them a document which contained ALL of my medical info. List of conditions and medications. The fact that I wear contacts and hearing aids. My current list of immunizations. History of past surgeries. I was able to communicate all of this to the ED staff personally, but they would have had it if I was not communitive. I carry this info ALL THE TIME.
My motorcycle was "towed" into the nearest town by a local tow truck and deposited at his automotive shop. The bike then had to be transported back to Motorcycles of Charlotte for evaluation. Prices I was quoted ranged from $1/mile to over $2/mile. The trip back to Charlotte was over 400 miles.
My wife had to board the dogs and drive the 750+ mill round trip to bring me home, I wasn't able to fly due to my injuries.
I had purchased a SkyMed policy prior to the trip. This covered transport of the bike back to Charlotte and my wife's expenses to get me back home. They would also cover the helicopter flight, But I am VERY fortunate in that my major medical covered the flight. Check your policy because the majority of insurances DO NOT cover helicopter transport.
I know this is long and will appear of several Facebook pages as well a several forums, but I hope this helps some people evaluate their position as a participant in an activity that involves risk to health (physical and financial) and property.
ARE YOU PREPARED FOR WHAT MAY LIE AROUND THE NEXT CURVE?
Twisty, Dnschmpn and Candubrain like this.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 09:21 AM (640)

Cliff, very sorry to hear of your mishap. Were you alone when it happened?

Your story brought me right back to my ugly biff a few years ago in the forests around State College PA. I didn't know it at the time but I ended up riding the bike out of the woods and 200 miles home with 3 shattered ribs, a cracked shin, and a partially collapsed lung. Yeah, I hurt like a $#^%$# and had some trouble breathing so I ponder in hindsight if I shouldn't have activated my Inreach Explorer. They wouldn't have reached me by anything bigger than a ATV and that would have been no fun to have been boarded out on the back of one. My doc tells me that I could have died from the injuries and it was stupid for me to ride the bike out and home - and then wait a week to seek medical help. I just thought I had some busted ribs and there was nothing could be done for them. That turned out to be right and the lung eventually re-inflated on its own.

Hope you heal up quickly and that your bike wasn't boogered up in the recovery.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 11:20 AM (722)

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We all scoff at insurances, but glad we have it when needed. I wish you a speedy recovery.
brian

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 03:05 PM (879)

I'm glad you made it out "okay".

I'm with you when it comes to being prepared. I also bought a air evacuation policy. Extremely cheap compared to the cost of the a helicopter flight. My brother in law is an EMT in the Rockies and says he has first hand experience with the people he rescues stuck with a 20k air flight bill. Regular insurance didn't deem it a necessity and won't pay OR only a very small percentage.

I also buy a fishing license every year during the riding season. Again, cheap insurance if I ever need SAR type services....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 06:31 PM (021) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
Cliff, very sorry to hear of your mishap. Were you alone when it happened?
Thanks, I was riding with 2 other guys. I'm smarter than trying those roads alone.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-Nov-2018, 12:23 PM (765)

Garage
Glad you made it out to share and hopefully ride again.

Perhaps a rethink on the nickname "Cliff"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHarley Rider View Post
Thanks, I was riding with 2 other guys. I'm smarter than trying those roads alone.

Ride to Work, Work to Ride
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-Nov-2018, 12:25 PM (767)

Garage
Let me try that again:
Good think you went with "Cliff" rather than "Extremely deep and treacherous ravine".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standupnfall View Post
Glad you made it out to share and hopefully ride again.

Perhaps a rethink on the nickname "Cliff"?
ExHarley Rider likes this.

Ride to Work, Work to Ride
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-Nov-2018, 01:42 PM (821)

Garage
Thanks for sharing Cliff. All the best for a full and speedy recovery. Great idea on carrying a document with medical history. I will make one for myself and carry it with me. Good that you had Sky Med too. I bought an annual Global Rescue policy about one year ago just prior to a motorcycle trip to Baja Mexico. (Already had an InReach Explorer+ satellite communicator.) The trip south of the order motivated me to buy the policy and with additional planned bike trips and off-road adventures to Death Valley and Alaska's Arctic Circle in 2018, it made sense to have the coverage. Fortunately I have not had to use the policy, but it has become an integral part of my overall insurance protection while providing peace of mind. Cheers!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Nov-2018, 09:32 AM (647)
Naviator

Garage
It sounds as though you were about as well prepared for this type of accident as a man could have been and I am happy to hear that your injuries are not life threatening and wish you good luck with a speedy recovery.

Had you been airlifted by the helicopter that I fly your bill would have been 0$, we transport civilians during emergencies more often than many would think, if we are in the area in a time of need have the fuel and can respond more quickly than the next nearest medical helicopter we offer our services, it keeps the crewmen in the back sharp as well.
ExHarley Rider and Crucian like this.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode