How do the touring Vario panniers handle a tipover? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 10:59 AM (666) Thread Starter

How do the touring Vario panniers handle a tipover?

My 2016 GS came with the stock BMW panniers and top case. They are the touring models that don't have the reinforcing frame like the Adventure model.

Since I'm going to be doing some offroad and I would expect some tipovers, are these cases the wrong ones to have? They don't seem to be trail-worthy.

What has been your experience during a tipover or light crash?
What damage occurred?
Cost to fix?
Can they take any tipover at all or do they fail completely when off-road?

Any insights or guidance welcomed. Wondering if I should sell these and put on the adventure-style panniers.

Thanks.

--Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 11:28 AM (686)
Bike&Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by advjasonp View Post
My 2016 GS came with the stock BMW panniers and top case. They are the touring models that don't have the reinforcing frame like the Adventure model.

Since I'm going to be doing some offroad and I would expect some tipovers, are these cases the wrong ones to have? They don't seem to be trail-worthy.

What has been your experience during a tipover or light crash?
What damage occurred?
Cost to fix?
Can they take any tipover at all or do they fail completely when off-road?

Any insights or guidance welcomed. Wondering if I should sell these and put on the adventure-style panniers.

Thanks.

--Jason
I have had several tipovers and they haven't failed, but they are banged up a bit. I did have one come off going fast on a rocky road. In reviewing that, it is possible I didn't have the lower clip properly engaged but I think I did. The adv panniers are definitely better constructed and in my opinion the top loading is much better than the side loading Vario's. If my Vario's fail I'll switch over, probably to the Brooks panniers. If you are interested in the soft panniers (BMW Atacama made by Mosko Moto) I have a set I'm about to put up for sale. Basically brand new. PM me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 11:57 AM (706)
GS (and DR)

Many feel that soft panniers are best for off road for several reasons. Having banged up aluminum panniers many times I now tend to agree. You can mostly unbend and re weld/braze aluminum panniers. They will not be waterproof (if they ever were) when you are finished. Field repairs are sometimes a pain.

If the BMW vario plastic panniers hit something (or if something hits them) hard enough they will shatter. BTDT when one fell off of my bike and got hit by traffic.

If I were looking to add panniers to my bike today I'd probably be looking at the Mosko Moto/BMW Atacama bags. The down side compared to the metal panniers I now have is that it would be harder to overload the bike by strapping things on top of the bags. That may be a good thing.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 11:57 AM (706)
Super Awesom Person

If your going off road take them off and put the soft bags on.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 12:39 PM (736) Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCyr View Post
If you are interested in the soft panniers (BMW Atacama made by Mosko Moto) I have a set I'm about to put up for sale. Basically brand new. PM me.
I guess I'm too noob to be allowed to PM anyone yet on the forum. I'll see if I can overcome that quickly.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 06:56 AM (497)
Bike&Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by advjasonp View Post
I guess I'm too noob to be allowed to PM anyone yet on the forum. I'll see if I can overcome that quickly.
I tried to PM you but there is an issue. Email pcyr at charter dot net.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode