R1200GS Forum banner

How do the touring Vario panniers handle a tipover?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JMB711 
#1 ·
My 2016 GS came with the stock BMW panniers and top case. They are the touring models that don't have the reinforcing frame like the Adventure model.

Since I'm going to be doing some offroad and I would expect some tipovers, are these cases the wrong ones to have? They don't seem to be trail-worthy.

What has been your experience during a tipover or light crash?
What damage occurred?
Cost to fix?
Can they take any tipover at all or do they fail completely when off-road?

Any insights or guidance welcomed. Wondering if I should sell these and put on the adventure-style panniers.

Thanks.

--Jason

#2 ·
I have had several tipovers and they haven't failed, but they are banged up a bit. I did have one come off going fast on a rocky road. In reviewing that, it is possible I didn't have the lower clip properly engaged but I think I did. The adv panniers are definitely better constructed and in my opinion the top loading is much better than the side loading Vario's. If my Vario's fail I'll switch over, probably to the Brooks panniers. If you are interested in the soft panniers (BMW Atacama made by Mosko Moto) I have a set I'm about to put up for sale. Basically brand new. PM me.

#3 ·
Many feel that soft panniers are best for off road for several reasons. Having banged up aluminum panniers many times I now tend to agree. You can mostly unbend and re weld/braze aluminum panniers. They will not be waterproof (if they ever were) when you are finished. Field repairs are sometimes a pain.

If the BMW vario plastic panniers hit something (or if something hits them) hard enough they will shatter. BTDT when one fell off of my bike and got hit by traffic.

If I were looking to add panniers to my bike today I'd probably be looking at the Mosko Moto/BMW Atacama bags. The down side compared to the metal panniers I now have is that it would be harder to overload the bike by strapping things on top of the bags. That may be a good thing.

#7 ·
Performed an experiment with my GSA it had the heavy duty BMW cases awhile back. Laid the bike over twice, cases on and off. Very little difference in bike angle.
1st, If you dont have crash bars. Id get them. 2nd, machineartmoto has beautiful valve cover protectors. They cover a huge amount of the valve cover and mine have taken a beating and while scarred have not cracked. I highly recommend!!
The reinforced bags have also held up to my abuse. But do not open the case while the weight of the bike is on it. The lid helps keep its integrity.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.