• 5 Post By capngeo
  • 4 Post By Pterodactyl
  • 1 Post By GrayBeard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2019, 05:56 PM (955) Thread Starter
Old Man on a Bike

Garage
Is a Small Crash Still a Crash?

Today, 100 miles from home I took a rock into the left radiator. With great wonder at the blue gunk splattering up on my face shield and left leg, I pulled over to a shady spot. Nearly lost it when my foot slipped out in the coolant puddle (man that stuff is like oil).

Took a while to source the leak because although I could see the ding in the radiator, the coolant was coming from somewhere above. I took off all the left side tupperware (quite the project with the OEM "tool kit"). Checked the hoses and all over the top of the radiator and couldn't find the leak. went back around front to the ding, and the slightest little, barely visible, piss stream was shooting straight up from the ding causing the illusion of a leak from above.

It was my good fortune a NAPA store was within walking distance. I bought some brake cleaner, some JB weld, and a few tools. Pulled the bottom hose to dump the coolant, sprayed the ding area liberally with brake cleaner, reamed the hole and scraped the surrounding aluminum with a newly-bought knife, kneaded the JB and pressed it into the hole. Spent the next hour reassembling the tupperware, only to come up with one extra fastener...DAMNIT! Disassembled said tupperware looking for the screwless hole to no avail! Put the recalcitrant screw into the top box for later attention.

Added a liter (well most of a liter, as some spilled) of drinking water to the right radiator, and fired her up. Waited for the cooling fan to come on (which takes for freaking ever... like watching a pot boil) 214°F on the panel, fan blowing heat, no leak! Rode about 5 miles to a favorite lunch spot, shut'er down and had a fairly decent Cuban and a couple beers.

The bike was cool enough to top off the coolant.... water from the table.... and rode 100 miles down the super-slab without being gentle. Watched the temp and she hovered around 184° for most of the ride, climbing to 220° in heavy stop and go traffic. JB Weld is some good sheeit, as it was drip free!
Attached Images

2017 R1200GSA Low Suspension
2012 K1600GTL
2005 Harley VRod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2019, 08:31 PM (063)
Survivor

Garage
Very resourceful, well done.

Unattended fasteners will copulate like rabbits and reproduce. Extras are like manna from heaven.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2019, 07:48 AM (533)

Garage
JB is the cat's meow. It's so good there is no #2, either the two part or the putty. Well done with your cooler!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2019, 07:58 AM (540)

Very resourceful and neat repair. Kudos.

An my answer to your question is that it isn't a "crash" unless it involves a call to your insurance agent or someone gets a citation. Heck, your bike didn't even hit the ground. The ruling - you are still crash free.
Rick92040 likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2019, 05:56 PM (955)

Garage
Wow this is something I have been concerned about and your story has me ordering those Touratech radiator guards.

Great repair BTW I guess it really is an adventure bike.

Ian

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2019, 09:01 AM (584)

Garage
It ain't a crash if the engine doesn't die....................

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2019, 12:41 PM (736) Thread Starter
Old Man on a Bike

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
Very resourceful and neat repair. Kudos.

An my answer to your question is that it isn't a "crash" unless it involves a call to your insurance agent or someone gets a citation. Heck, your bike didn't even hit the ground. The ruling - you are still crash free.
The ground did hit the bike after all!

Once on my V-rod I hit a deer, cut her in two, and never went down... I did FUBAR the frame and forks though!

2012 K1600GTL
2005 Harley VRod
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2019, 12:45 PM (739) Thread Starter
Old Man on a Bike

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
Wow this is something I have been concerned about and your story has me ordering those Touratech radiator guards.

Great repair BTW I guess it really is an adventure bike.

Ian
Yes, I ordered at the same time as the new radiator. FWIW, rode the last couple days, probably 300 miles or so and the JB is still holding. Its Summer down here (well not according to the calendar, but it hit 90° here today), and I saw 220° engine temp in stop and go traffic... if she didn't let go then, I 'spect she won't. Nonetheless, the new radiator and guards will go on as soon as delivered. The JB radiator will go on the wall of shame to tell a tale over a beer to some young lad when I'm old(er)

2012 K1600GTL
2005 Harley VRod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode