Cold Weather Gloves - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2008, 07:47 PM (074) Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ReverendNB
Cold Weather Gloves

Hello all,

Since I'm not a fan of P.M.S. (parked motorcycle syndrome) I'm looking to expand my cold weather gear. Since I traded up to the R1200GS with its heated grips I'm not in the mood to bother with all the wires and hassle of my Gerbing heated gloves, and am looking for advice on cold weather riding gloves.

The only requirements I have are that they be waterproof, insulated, and have hard armor at least on the knuckles. So far I've found Alpinestars Vega Drystar Gloves and Tourmaster Winter Elite Gloves, although not liking the Tourmaster's due to the lack of hard armor.

Price is not a factor, warmth and protection is. I figure I can always work more and make more money... unless I destroy my hands that is!!!

Thank you in advance,
-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2008, 11:32 AM (731)
Free Genie

Send a message via MSN to Schtum Send a message via Skype™ to Schtum
BMG (Belstaff as was) Thermosport.....:thumb

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com...ort-gloves.asp

Great gear and great customer service from Paul Brooks at BMG.

"A map is not the territory it represents, but if correct, it has a similar structure to the territory, which accounts for its usefulness".
Alfred Korzybski
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2008, 04:29 PM (937)
GS (and DR)

Rev'It Farenheit H20 have a Phase Change material that seems to work well with heated grips. The have, so far, been completely waterproof. Don't know how well they'll hold up to wear and tear.

// marc

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2008, 06:51 PM (035)
Reverend Noob

Held "Ice Breakers" are great; warm without being bulky, Gore-Tex, heavy padding with kevlar. These do not have hard armor however but great protection and feel as though they'll last forever. Held is hard to beat IMHO.

Jim
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-Jun-2009, 04:34 PM (898)

Cold Weather Gloves

When it gets that cold the only oil I use is the heating oil for the house. I dont ride in really cold weather, but you can use a lighter oil for the winter time. You can probably go to 10-30, this would make easier kick starting.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Oct-2009, 09:13 AM (592)

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a set of Hippo Hands combined with summer gloves and heated grips for warmth, comfort, and control in cold temps.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2009, 03:55 PM (872)

Thumbs up oem is good

I picked up a pair of bmw cold weather gloves,they appear unique in the sense that they have purposly left the palms uninsulated to help grip heat to come through.The padding or insulation on the outside of the back of your hand seems a little thicker than normal.I used these gloves last winter in newengland as low as 25 deg.far. without heated grips!That was on my G650xc,now that I got on a gsa w/heated grips they might be even better.AS far as water proof I could not say?They are leather and textile combo.Nice gloves!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2009, 12:08 PM (714)

Victory Gloves sucks!

We were recently traveling through WVA and my cold weather gloves needed replacing. We stopped at a Victory dealer and I purchased some new gloves. The problems is they are slick! I had to stop and get some tennis racquet tape to cover my throttle because I couldn't grip it with the new gloves. I should have tested before we got so far away. If we weren't traveling I would have returned them. So my point is don't buy their gloves! By the way there is no BMW dealers in West Virginia.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2010, 11:44 PM (239)

Cold Weather Gloves

On cool days i use silk liners under my normal everyday riding gloves. If im riding in colder or wet weather, I have a pair of tourmaster cold weather gloves, they work great.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 21-Nov-2010, 11:52 PM (245)

BMW Prowinter 2

I just picked up a pair of BMW Prowinter 2 gloves. So far, in the rain, snow, and cold, they have been excellent. They're comfortable and fit well and do not hinder my dexterity and ability to use the levers and controls. I paid about $150 CAD for them.

2010 R1200 GS Adventure
2006 F650GS Dakar
2006 Yamaha V-Star 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode