Adventure Boots - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 06:46 AM (532)

And did you do any adjustments to the shifter to make it easier? I had an issue with that on my last bike, so I've not tried my Forma's on this bike yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 10:24 AM (683)

Garage
I use Rev'it Discovery Outdry. They are hybrids. Very comfortable, waterproof, protected, and the BOA closure tightens the boot with a turn of one knob, unfastens with one click. I hike a lot off bike and simply carry running shoes and tuck these in my cans when I am off bike. I've fitted myself into and prefer Crossfire 3 SRS but their soles are unusable on wet road surfaces, otherwise cannot be beat for comfort, protection, durability. Crossfire SRS 2's sole can be swapped for MX soles (via simple unscrew n rescrew) and then are usable on road but the 2s do not offer the same ankle limiter as the 3s.

The only time I want waterproofing is winter. So the crossfires would be fine in any 3 season application in Colorado. If all I were doing is offload, Crossfire 3 SRS would be the undoubted choice. (As Jet says however, very thin.)
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 10:52 AM (703)

Garage
Long had my eye on those Forma boots. Even the low looks appealing, I'd be reprimanded at StarBucks's for not having higher boots.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 11:35 AM (732)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaprhys View Post
And did you do any adjustments to the shifter to make it easier? I had an issue with that on my last bike, so I've not tried my Forma's on this bike yet.
Shifting was an adventure, no pun, the first couple rides. Eventually works out.
The toe area is much larger on the Terra and other adventure boots, then touring boots and you have to really flex your ankle down to get it under the shifter.
I guess you could move the shifter to accommodate, but then when you revert back to touring boots you would have to compensate in the other direction. I chose not too move the shift lever.

I found the Forma Terra very comfortable right off the bat, lots of support for the ankle and shin, they were extremely stiff though compared to touring boots.
A little time around the house before riding helped immensely. It took two to three rides to get used to them.
Hope to eventually shift to the Terra for all my rides.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 12:05 PM (754)

Thanks! I did walk around in them a bit and found them to be comfortable enough for that, but the stiffness of the shifting was enough that I didn't want to try it (especially seeing as this was my first ride in the mountains and I was going solo with my fiance following me with the truck and trailer).

Now that I'm a bit more used to the GSA, I'll have to try those out on my next ride.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 01:38 PM (818) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepp View Post
I use Rev'it Discovery Outdry. They are hybrids. Very comfortable, waterproof, protected, and the BOA closure tightens the boot with a turn of one knob, unfastens with one click. I hike a lot off bike and simply carry running shoes and tuck these in my cans when I am off bike. I've fitted myself into and prefer Crossfire 3 SRS but their soles are unusable on wet road surfaces, otherwise cannot be beat for comfort, protection, durability. Crossfire SRS 2's sole can be swapped for MX soles (via simple unscrew n rescrew) and then are usable on road but the 2s do not offer the same ankle limiter as the 3s.

The only time I want waterproofing is winter. So the crossfires would be fine in any 3 season application in Colorado. If all I were doing is offload, Crossfire 3 SRS would be the undoubted choice. (As Jet says however, very thin.)
I agree with you their on the soles that's why I like the TA's VS the SRS. The TAs are a sewn on soul that seems to be in my opinion the better choice with more traction and grooves on the bottom to help pick up the bike off the ground in case of a spill without loosing your footing on loose gravel or sand like I recently did just this past weekend.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 04:14 PM (926)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve339 View Post
How long did it take for the boots to break-in?
I just put them on and walked around in them for half a Saturday. Then took them on a 2,300 mile trip to Key West and Back. Never felt any pressure points or discomfort. I was wearing them over 12 hours a day for almost 4 days. Made many stops to sight-see and walk around.
Steve339 likes this.

North Carolina based
2017 R1200 GS Adventure
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2018, 10:57 PM (206)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve339 View Post
How long did it take for the boots to break-in?
My wife and I both chose the Forma Adventure High. They were broken in by the end of the first day. Very comfortable. Absolutely happy with the decision. Good traction on dry and wet.

'17 GSA - RED - Mine / '17 GSA - White - Hers
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2018, 11:20 PM (222)

Just picked up the Forma Adventure Low after reading thread upon thread, reviews, etc.

Wore them pretty much all day today. I wear a 43 EU in Nike, Merrill and other style shoes, and I consider my shoe size to be a 9 1/2. I took a chance and ordered a 43 in the Forma and it's a perfect fit. And, everyone was right, the fit right out of the box is comfortable! I ride a 2016 GSA and the shifting is not an issue. I did note that the aggressive sole sticks to the pegs quite nice, so don't forget that you can't just slide your foot off the pegs.

If they are this comfortable right out of the box, I can't wait until I break them in.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-Mar-2018, 04:56 AM (455)

A week or so ago I did a long riding day with my Forma boots on. As others said, they feel fairly broken in and are very comfortable to wear when walking. I do experience some fun when shifting - I've had to adjust my style a bit. With my other boots (can't remember the style), it's an easy reach over. With the Formas, I have to actively push my toe down to get under the shifter. Now that I'm a bit more used to it, it's not a big deal, but I will occasionally miss.

Still pleased with them. It'll just take more riding to make it second nature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode