Adventure Boots - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-Feb-2018, 06:48 PM (033) Thread Starter

Adventure Boots

What kind of Boots are you guys wearing??

I'm in the market for a new pair after todays tumble.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-Feb-2018, 07:26 PM (060)

I've had the Alpinestars Toucan for about 4 years now and they are very comfortable. I think it is an ADV boot that has sacrifices some of the protection for comfort and does a stellar job at this.
Mr. Adventure and Advart like this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-Feb-2018, 08:04 PM (086)

Garage
Forma Terra.
Mr. Adventure likes this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 01:48 AM (325)

I just purchased Sidi Adventure 2 Brown boots and I am very happy with it. It brakes in after 3rd time wearing it for an hour each time riding.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 05:21 AM (473)

I like the color combo of those boots!

A bit about me that might that might help understand my choice(s)...

I live at the base of the Colorado Rockies. I ride quite a bit of off-road. Just about every one of my rides takes me up into the mountains or offroad into the plains. I've ridden the COBDR and other great "trails" here in CO.

I have two different sets of boots and wear a different pair depending where I'm riding. I've got the Sidi Crossfire 2 and Alpinestar Toucans.

If my ride is a "serious ride" which takes me on long sections of off-road or sections that I know are challenging its the Sidi Crossfires. If its just some well maintained forest service roads/logging roads, more on-road, some walking, hanging out then the Toucans...

With that said, I wouldn't do the Toucans again. IMO its allows too much side-to-side ankle movement. It doesn't offer enough ankle protection and allows your ankle to "roll" too easily. From what I've seen its low-speed crashes that do the most damage to lower legs. Wearing Toucans (before I bought the Sidis) riding on a muddy section of trail I dropped my bike (at the time a Super Tenere), the engine case trapped my ankle as I rolled. It fractured my ankle. Another buddy of mine had something similar happen to him and he completely broke his ankle. His boots while not Toucans were of a similar build. Looking back I'd have gone with the Sidi Adventure Gore-tex or Rain as they have better ankle support.

After my ankle healed I bought the Sidi Crossfires. They've already paid for themselves. I was riding solo and dropped my bike on a steep rocky section. The same leg was trapped under the bike with a hard part sitting right on the ankle. No pain, no injury. I couldn't pull my leg out from under the bike. I had to use my other leg to push on the seat to lift the bike enough to pull my leg out.

The Toucans are super comfortable and I still wear them when doing what I consider "light" rides. I have no fit or comfort issues with them. I could walk in them all day or hang out in them all day.

The Sidis are a slightly different story. They fit and feel like a ski boot. You can feel it wrap around your lower leg. They allow very little movement at the ankle. One area that I had to get used to with these boots is shifting. When you first put them on and do a few upshifts you realize you need to use more effort to flex the boot to make it happen. But after a few upshifts, you get used to it. Walking, again, is very much like a ski boot. You can do it, but its not easy and after a little while they aren't very comfortable. Also if you have very large calfs, fit may be an issue so make sure you try them on first. I also found I had to go up almost a full size from what I normally wear to get a comfortable/proper fit. I have average width feet so that wasn't the issue. They just felt small in all dimensions. These are great boots and I'd buy them again.

Thats just my .02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
What kind of Boots are you guys wearing??

I'm in the market for a new pair after todays tumble.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 09:17 AM (636)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Forma Adventure low for touring and tarmac, Sidi Adventure rain for more off-road adventure trips, but dang do they squeak and they flex very little, so not good for walking - I'll usually pack an extra pair of shoes when I ride with those. Both are waterproof and I feel pretty protected when wearing them.
slowriding and Mr. Adventure like this.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 09:41 AM (653)

Garage
Forma Adventure Boots. Fit like hiking boots and comfortable to walk in.

North Carolina based
2017 R1200 GS Adventure
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 10:08 AM (672) Thread Starter

This kind of feedback from everyone is exactly why I like this site so much. You guys rock appreciate the input and I am pretty sure I will get these boots.
sjadvrider likes this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 01:49 AM (326)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadawada View Post
Forma Adventure Boots. Fit like hiking boots and comfortable to walk in.

How long did it take for the boots to break-in?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 06:25 AM (517)
Naviator

Garage
Sidi boots look great and are quality products it's too bad that they don't make them in wide sizes, my wide foot make it very hard to find boots I like that fit.
I also ride and hike a lot, and spend the whole day in the saddle often and am not ashamed to admit that I normally don't wear motorcycle specific boots, they are uncomfortable, too difficult to get on and off, to limiting and next to impossible to find a suitable pair in my size.
I have a pair of Asolo hiking boots that I wear and accept the risks.
Advart and Lowcruzr like this.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode