Base/mid layer clothing - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2018, 12:16 PM (761)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
Ive used northface and under armor!
Both moisture wicking work well
On a ride to Leh (India) temperatures range from 110F to 25-30F
That trip to Leh (Ladakh) is harry but very rewarding. The lake near the China border is gorgeous. I had tea w the Indian army not too far from there! What road is that please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2018, 06:15 PM (010)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepp View Post
That trip to Leh (Ladakh) is harry but very rewarding. The lake near the China border is gorgeous. I had tea w the Indian army not too far from there! What road is that please?
So there are a couple of lakes we go to....the most popular is called pangong tso, from there we head out to visit hanle which is an observatory and then onwards to the other 2 lakes Tso Moriri and Tso Kiagar

It is rewarding and a very dangerous ride......but so much fun
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-Feb-2018, 04:11 AM (424)

Garage
Have done the trip multiple times on the Tiger 800! Would love to do it on the beemer....Dont know how she will handle that terrain

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-Feb-2018, 04:31 PM (938)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
Have done the trip multiple times on the Tiger 800! Would love to do it on the beemer....Dont know how she will handle that terrain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangong_Tso

Yes that's the one. We drove in a SE direction on NH1D from Leh and then NW along smaller dirt roads and never were off road for the entire trip to Pangong lake where we stopped to skip rocks and have sandwiches. We were told that if we kept driving along the Northwesterly road we would soon be in China, but we had no visas. So we turned around and headed for the town where we had tea in the guard house with Indian army. Some really majestic views and very friendly people. Town of Leh reminds me to some extent of Lake Tahoe, though it closes to the outside world in the winter time. (We arrived late November and the towns hot water had already been shut.)

[Truly sorry to hijack this posting. Let me know if I should start another.]
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-Feb-2018, 05:02 PM (960) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepp View Post
[Truly sorry to hijack this posting. Let me know if I should start another.]
Totally hijacked! I'm more than ok with it but some forums I've been on don't like it.

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-Jan-2019, 06:47 PM (033)

Mid layer clothing

I have switched to Peak Performance gear for mid layer clothing. This stuff comes from Europe and if expensive, but it usually goes on sale in the ski shops in the spring for 50% off. The gear is very light, warm, and last forever.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-Jan-2019, 08:33 AM (606)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
I've put 60,000 miles on my Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants including a 2017 trip up the Dempster to Inuvik which was the End-of-the-road at that time.

It is all in what you wear underneath.

My basic outfit is LDComfort Long sleeve shirt and LD Comfort Long Underwear as my base layer.
This works for me from 55-90F with adjustment of vents as the temperature rises.
As the temp goes above 90F I close all the jacket vents, wet the sleeves of the LDComfort shirt, open the collar to the jacket and regulate the air conditioning by varying the air I allow to flow through the sleeves. Cooling effect lasts for 2-3 hours depending upon air flow. I've used this up to 110F in the desert and in the Deep South 100% Humidity/100F.

When it is cooler than 60 I put on my Gerbing Electric Jacket on and adjust the thermostat as needed. If I'm going to ride all day at 50F or below I'll shift from LD Comfort Long Underwear bottoms to a heavyweight Merino Wool set of Long Underwear bottoms and wool sox. I've ridden in 30-36F rain and snow for an entire day with this setup and have not been too cold.

My Latitude gear is looking pretty ratty, but still watertight, I think I'll replace it with another set of Latitude gear before I set out for Alaska in June. As always I'll check with Alex at Black Hills Moto for the best deal. Call them as KLIM has a Minimum Advertised Price, which Alex often beats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode