Base/mid layer clothing - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2018, 02:36 PM (858) Thread Starter

Garage
Base/mid layer clothing

I'm riding from Anchorage, Alaska to Tuktoyaktuk, NW Territories in the end of June and beginning of July. Average daily temps in Tuktoyaktuk are 35F-52F each day. I don't have anything for base or mid-layering yet. I want stuff that I can easily wash & dry without machines. All the big names make stuff but come with big price tags (Klim, REV'IT, RUKKA, etc.). What moisture-wicking, easily "dryable" layers are y'all using that work well?

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2018, 08:37 AM (609)
'05 R 1200 Gs

I just completed a month long buying spree at CycleGear.com for base layer and outerwear. Haven't even spent $250.00. The inventory includes;

1. Base layer torso underwear top
2. Base layer long john underwear bottom
3. Zippered Jacket /Gilet w/ zip out sleeves
4. Freeze out skull cap
5. Glove liners
6. Breathable windproof riding pants
7. Sedici weatherproof leather riding gloves

8. etc ; probably forgot something. Their sizing is quite accurate for me since I am 6'4" and used to problems with length.

It's a warehouse clearance event. Free shipping. up to 78 % off full price retail I am ready for years to come.

I am not affiliated in any way with them, but enjoy their products. Check for retail stores in your area. Their return policy ( although I have not needed it ) is quite friendly.

https://www.cyclegear.com/base-layer...0Active%202017
Lowcruzr likes this.

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 19-Feb-2018 at 09:30 AM (645).
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2018, 12:09 PM (756)

Any synthetic wicking base layer is fine. Under Armor, Columbia, LLBean, Nike, Champion, etc. just about everyone makes it these days. I carry an electric jacket liner for a mid-layer when required. Otherwise my Klim Badlands with just a base layer is fine down into the 50's F. But everyone's temperature sensitivity is different. I ride with a friend sometimes that has about 2% body fat and he rides with his Gerbing jack under his outer wear when it's below 75 degrees

I've been taking multi-week trips for the last several years from snow and ice in high elevations to 100+ degrees riding in terrain that required a lot of work - all within the same week - and I don't own a stitch of base layer stuff from Klim or Rukka or the other premium ADV gear brands.

I carry enough base layer stuff (shirts and leggings) for about 5 - 6 days and plan to do laundry about every week on the road. Heck with sink washing stuff - I find a laundry and throw it all in machines. I'll sit out in the parking lot or some nearby shady spot doing some light bike maintenance while the clothes are washing or drying. If you're still someone that packs cotton stuff like t-shirts and jeans, you'll be amazed at how small and light your week's worth of clothes can be with all synthetic stuff. For dressier moments, I carry hiking pants and a synthetic button up shirt or two. NO COTTON!
Lowcruzr likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2018, 12:56 PM (788)

Garage
OP

Can you share your expected route? I am very interested in this ride.

I had understood that ice highways were the only way there.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2018, 03:13 PM (884)

I've spent big money on the motorcycle-centric stuff and found it worked no better than the Under Armor stuff I buy from their Outlet Store. The under-armor stuff works great. Their winter base layers are amazingly warm and not bulky. Their Summer gear works great and breathes really well. I say "Outlet Store" as they put out new stuff every season/year so the previous season stuff just doesn't fit their "colors" for the year, but it all works the same and its cheaper than the motorcycle specific stuff...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2018, 03:30 PM (896) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advart View Post
I've spent big money on the motorcycle-centric stuff and found it worked no better than the Under Armor stuff I buy from their Outlet Store. The under-armor stuff works great. Their winter base layers are amazingly warm and not bulky. Their Summer gear works great and breathes really well. I say "Outlet Store" as they put out new stuff every season/year so the previous season stuff just doesn't fit their "colors" for the year, but it all works the same and its cheaper than the motorcycle specific stuff...
This was the route I was planning to go. Outlet stores for the win!. I knew someone had used Under Armour type base layers before and had good results. Good to hear that any wicking stuff works. I'll look at the Cyclegear site and then see what I can pick up at the local outlet mall. Thanks all for chiming in!
Southpaw likes this.

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR

Last edited by Lowcruzr; 19-Feb-2018 at 03:35 PM (899).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2018, 03:42 PM (904) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepp View Post
OP

They finished creating a permanent road from Inuvik, NW Territories all the way to Tuktoyaktuk, NW Territories. Google doesn't recognize the Top of the World highway so it will route you waaaay out of the way. Some mapping programs also don't recognize the ferries and will say the route cannot be mapped. Dawson to Tuktoyaktuk works in Google. Try it!
Attached Images

Southpaw likes this.

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2018, 03:03 AM (377)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcruzr View Post
Quote:
OP

They finished creating a permanent road from Inuvik, NW Territories all the way to Tuktoyaktuk, NW Territories. Google doesn't recognize the Top of the World highway so it will route you waaaay out of the way. Some mapping programs also don't recognize the ferries and will say the route cannot be mapped. Dawson to Tuktoyaktuk works in Google. Try it!

Thanks. Very helpful.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2018, 03:46 AM (406) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. Very helpful.
Sure thing! Obviously, I'll have a separate track for Anchorage to Dawson. Ferry at Dawson, then select the next section pre-loaded in the GPS. Funny that Google knows about the two ferries north of Inuvik but not the one in Dawson.

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2018, 06:27 AM (519)

Garage
Base Layer

Ive used northface and under armor!
Both moisture wicking work well
On a ride to Leh (India) temperatures range from 110F to 25-30F
Lowcruzr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode