Need a road suit - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-Sep-2018, 12:41 PM (737)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond View Post
What do you recommend?
Klim Latitude suit is likely up your alley. Goretex, but not as heavy as the higher end Klim suits. It is targeted at everyday / all round riders. That's what I have been wearing since 2014. I can't speak to its track performance, but it does most stuff well. You'll roast in any goretex on the hot & muggy days, if you have those. I ended up getting a mesh jacket & pants from Klim as well.

- Mark

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-Oct-2018, 03:54 PM (870)
Livin' the Dream

Garage
Gonna Wait until February...

I was told by my nearest crack, err, Klim dealer that a bunch of new stuff is coming out, including a one-piece, over-suit, well ventilated, life-time warranted riding suit similar to the Aerostitch product in February... So I'm waiting until February... Impatiently.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-Oct-2018, 07:55 PM (038)

+1 for Aerostich.

1) Made in America.
2) Customizable. I was just at an Aerostich Pop-Up event and was able to try on a few sizes only to find out the best option for me is to have one tailored to my size.
3) Of the most comfortable riding gear, I've ever worn.
4) Amazingly easy to get into/out of
5) Depending on the suit, if you go down they're repairable. Within reason of course.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-Oct-2018, 06:53 AM (495)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotShots View Post
I was told by my nearest crack, err, Klim dealer that a bunch of new stuff is coming out, including a one-piece, over-suit, well ventilated, life-time warranted riding suit similar to the Aerostitch product in February... So I'm waiting until February... Impatiently.
An acquaintance that is really into one piece suits, said he saw the Klim one piece suit yesterday as was impressed. He did not get to try it on as it was too small for him. The rep said $1200 a copy-----wow! However, it is waterproof (if there is such a thing) with not liner required, well built, and etc. If it truly is lifetime warranted and it may be worth the cost of admission. At age 62, don't know how much life is left.
PlotShots likes this.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2019, 04:09 PM (881)
Livin' the Dream

Garage
I actually bought the Hardanger suit in mid-March and I usually fit in an XL size or Euro 56 (I think), but this suit fit best as a Large. I use it to commute as I have to wear a uniform to work, so itís nice to just set into the suit & go. I do feel protected with the feel of the suit.

BUT....

It is most definitely NOT waterproof. It does a good job as a light rain protector, but if you go through and hard rain where a possibility of some puddling of rain around your crotch and top of thighs, that area are gonna be wet. Itíll look like you pissed yourself. Like really bad.

Now hereís where is starts to get me upset... Klim warranty requires you to ship the suit to the factory. On YOUR dime. This is a performance issue, not a breakage of any one component. So I gave the suit back to my dealer, who is in turn giving it to their sales rep, who is sending it back to Klim for inspection. I have no idea how this will turn out, when or even IF Iíll get my suit back. In the meantime, Iím using a 2 piece suit - Sedici Adventura jacket with Olympia overpants. I have waterproof covers for both the jacket and pants and they are truly waterproof. So no performance loss in my view.

In hindsight, I probably wouldnít have bought the suit in the first place knowing the issues with Klim warranty considering the cost of admission. Just my $0.02

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CHEERS!

-Frosty
2013 Ducati 1199R
2018 BMW R1200GSA
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 12:28 AM (228)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Aerostich used to be the go to and I have one, but seems Klim Badlands is the go to now.
Not even close. Aero is the most versatile, easiest to get into and out of, and offers the best protection of any non leather dedicated track racing gear. Klim makes quality gear, for sure, but it isnít in the same league as Aero. I commute 50 miles each way, some highway, some NYC traffic, in a business suit, every day, rain or shine, except when there is ice on the major roads. I park, jump out of my suit and go to work. Iím dry in the rain and have loads of vents to keep me cool on the hottest of days. In winter, heated gear fits under the suit and has kept me toasty warm down to -4F. When itís time for fun, my Aero gives me ultimate freedom. The protection from a crash or the elements is great. I couldnít ask for more freedom of motion whether riding the twisties oron dirt trails. When I get where Iím going- a restaurant, a ball game, a friendís, shopping, wherever, I m out of the suit in 10 seconds. I lock it to the bike and am in whatever attire I felt was appropriate for where I am. No walking around in motorcycle gear pants in restaurants, particularly in the heat of summer. My suit has been touring with me all over the world. In the mountains, through deserts. Iíve been on rides that start at 95F, drop to the teens and go back into the 90s. Iím as comfortable as one could expect in any gear, regardless of brand or type.
I recently had a highway speed crash courtesy of a cager who rear ended me. My injuries were relatively minor thanks to my gear. The Aero took a beating, but for $300 and change, Aero fixed it like new. It was ready to ride weeks before I was.
Canít say enough good about my Aero.
I have several pieces of Klim gear, all pre Aero. I bought the Aero figuring it would be good for commuting, and I would wear my Klim or Rukka gear for everywhere else. A it has turned out,my Klim hasnít made it out of my closet since the Aero arrived and the Rukka Air sees minimal duty only on the hottest days and only when the only thing Iíll be doing is riding, stopping for gas and riding some more AND there is no chance of rain.
mikec and PlotShots like this.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 05:35 AM (441)
Kam

I, like LAS, previous poster, ride my bike to work, 40 miles each way. Every day. Rain or shine. I also have a Aerostich suit. Actually, I have 2 sets. I have my preferred one piece, and a jacket + pants.

I've been in 25f ~ 115f with zero comfort issues. Yes, you wear the appropriate under clothes.

For my daily 1 piece suit, I get to work, unzip out (seconds) and I'm in my jacket and tie suit. I've gone to big meetings with clients, wearing very posh (ok, sometimes we need to dress the part!) suit jacket tie outfit, unzip out of Aerostich, change shoes, comb hair, and Noone is the wiser.

3 weeks ago, my main zipper jammed after 3+ years. I sent to Aerostich for repair. They replaced the whole main zipper, replaced my left wrest zipper, washed, rechecked weatherization. Cost? Nothing.

These suits are not cheap. But the support of the company is stellar.

Also, these suits don't come in small, medium, large, but actual sizes!

I give them top marks.

Kam

Last edited by Kam; 21-Apr-2019 at 05:49 AM (451).
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 07:13 AM (509)

Frosty

I think you will find these 1 piece suits are designed for touring bikes. K1200 K1600

Itís a common problem on Aerostich 1 piece as well.

This leaking you speak of happens on unfaired bikes in heavy rain especially if puddling occurs.

I also own the Hardanger but use it on the K1600 and in heavy rain no leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotShots View Post
I actually bought the Hardanger suit in mid-March and I usually fit in an XL size or Euro 56 (I think), but this suit fit best as a Large. I use it to commute as I have to wear a uniform to work, so itís nice to just set into the suit & go. I do feel protected with the feel of the suit.

BUT....

It is most definitely NOT waterproof. It does a good job as a light rain protector, but if you go through and hard rain where a possibility of some puddling of rain around your crotch and top of thighs, that area are gonna be wet. Itíll look like you pissed yourself. Like really bad.

Now hereís where is starts to get me upset... Klim warranty requires you to ship the suit to the factory. On YOUR dime. This is a performance issue, not a breakage of any one component. So I gave the suit back to my dealer, who is in turn giving it to their sales rep, who is sending it back to Klim for inspection. I have no idea how this will turn out, when or even IF Iíll get my suit back. In the meantime, Iím using a 2 piece suit - Sedici Adventura jacket with Olympia overpants. I have waterproof covers for both the jacket and pants and they are truly waterproof. So no performance loss in my view.

In hindsight, I probably wouldnít have bought the suit in the first place knowing the issues with Klim warranty considering the cost of admission. Just my $0.02

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 11:05 AM (670)

Garage
Extreme heat and suits: Not having a lot of + 100F experience I did some research before a trip that would see plenty of that. In dry desert heat too much venting is your enemy. Air at a temp greater than 93 degrees circulating around your "trunk" makes it difficult to keep your core temperature down. This is the short track to a heat stroke.

Close the vents, drink water on a schedule, not when you become thirsty and all is good. I rode deserts for nearly a month, from 116F in Bakersfield California down the gut to Calexico, Yuma and more with not a day less than 108 degrees.

High temperature/high humidity? I guess some of those soaker under garments are ok but you're going to be miserable if you stop, suited up.

I wear Aerostich.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 11:28 AM (686)
Kam

I learnt my lesson regarding really hot weather riding...nearly passed out.

I now wear one of this vests that you submerge in water to keep my core temperature from spiking. I keep it in a 1 gallon zip lock bag that I fill with water and then remove vest once it sucks up the water.

Kam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode