Need a road suit - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 02:01 PM (792)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
This leaking you speak of happens on unfaired bikes in heavy rain especially if puddling occurs..
It's not so much the fairing or lack thereof as it is your seating position on the bike.

Put your one piece suit on and sit on the bike. Look down. How does the material around your crotch fold? If the folds create a pocket with the zipper at the bottom of the pocket the suit will leak. So called waterproof zippers only delay the amount of time before that happens. You can often re-arrange the folds such that the zipper is not on the bottom of a pocket. If you do that you are much more likely to get to your destination dry.

However, beware moving around on the bike. The folds can rearrange, leading back to zipper on the bottom.

When I owned an RT the seating position naturally led to no leaking. On my GS I have to consciously move the folds around and remember to check once in a while when moving around in the saddle. Or wear my Darien/AD1 combo. If it starts leaking it's time for repair or replacement. My last Darien lasted about a dozen years before that happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 02:51 PM (827)
Livin' the Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
Frosty

I think you will find these 1 piece suits are designed for touring bikes. K1200 K1600

Itís a common problem on Aerostich 1 piece as well.

This leaking you speak of happens on unfaired bikes in heavy rain especially if puddling occurs.

I also own the Hardanger but use it on the K1600 and in heavy rain no leaks.

I know that the Aerostitch leaks under heavy rain at the crotch. We all know it does. Thatís he one complaint across the board amongst the many users. My beef is with Klimís claim that itís ďwaterproofĒ. Itís not. But they say it is. But itís not. So I sent it back to them for inspection and testing. The one positive that Klim has over Aerostitch is that itís less expensive than the Aerostitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHEERS!

-Frosty
2013 Ducati 1199R
2018 BMW R1200GSA
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 03:08 PM (839)
Kam

As an owner of the one piece Aerostich, and 2 piece Aerostich durian, I have had my 1 piece leak only at the crotch under heavy rain when the water pools there in the saddle.

Regarding the 2 piece. Never. I swear I could jump in the ocean and come up dry. I have been in absolute downpours in the 2 Piece, I mean biblical rain(!) and not a drop.

Kam

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 03:09 PM (839)

Garage
Need a road suit Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotShots View Post
I know that the Aerostitch leaks under heavy rain at the crotch. We all know it does. Thatís he one complaint across the board amongst the many users. My beef is with Klimís claim that itís ďwaterproofĒ. Itís not. But they say it is. But itís not. So I sent it back to them for inspection and testing. The one positive that Klim has over Aerostitch is that itís less expensive than the Aerostitch.

I heard about the Aeorstitch leaking in the crotch when I bought my first suit back in '96 but I didn't have that issue. My newest Darien jacket with Aerostitch's AD-1 pants haven't leaked yet either. I had a Klim Latitude and it leaked after about a year. I did the Tech Wash thing and it didn't help so sent my Latitude back, too. It passed their inspection and, after paying $150 in shipping charges, I sold it.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 22-Apr-2019, 04:16 AM (386)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
It's not so much the fairing or lack thereof as it is your seating position on the bike.

Put your one piece suit on and sit on the bike. Look down. How does the material around your crotch fold? If the folds create a pocket with the zipper at the bottom of the pocket the suit will leak. So called waterproof zippers only delay the amount of time before that happens. You can often re-arrange the folds such that the zipper is not on the bottom of a pocket. If you do that you are much more likely to get to your destination dry.

However, beware moving around on the bike. The folds can rearrange, leading back to zipper on the bottom.

When I owned an RT the seating position naturally led to no leaking. On my GS I have to consciously move the folds around and remember to check once in a while when moving around in the saddle. Or wear my Darien/AD1 combo. If it starts leaking it's time for repair or replacement. My last Darien lasted about a dozen years before that happened.
Marc, as usual, you have it exactly right again. If you allow rain to pool in your crotchety, any suit short of a diving dry suit will leak. When I ride in the rain, , I make sure every so often depending on how heavy itís coming down, to empty the pool. No leaks.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 22-Apr-2019, 04:26 AM (393)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotShots View Post
I know that the Aerostitch leaks under heavy rain at the crotch. We all know it does. That’s he one complaint across the board amongst the many users. My beef is with Klim’s claim that it’s “waterproof”. It’s not. But they say it is. But it’s not. So I sent it back to them for inspection and testing. The one positive that Klim has over Aerostitch is that it’s less expensive than the Aerostitch.

The Hardanger is priced about the same as the Aero on sale. The Aero is custom made to fit the way you want it. Klim comes in S,M,L, XL, XXL. Try figuring out which one you are! Not everyone fits these sizes and they are different than most other clothing manufacturers’ sizes by similar designations. Aero has several versions. With or without lining, lighter fabric, several colors- you choose. I have a classic Roadcrafter for the colder months and an R3 light for the warmer months. Black in winter, light grey in summer. The R3 was cut to fit less loosely than the Roadcrafter as I don’t need to wear the same layers under it as I do in cold climate.
PlotShots likes this.

Last edited by LAS; 22-Apr-2019 at 11:43 AM (696).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode