Need a road suit - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2018, 06:09 AM (464) Thread Starter

Need a road suit

Here is how I ride, and what I want:
  • I ride on the road. I'm not yet a serious off-road rider, but I do go on dirt roads.
  • Since I do track days, I lean a lot, so I push the bike to lower angles than most of my friends.
  • It's been drilled into me: suit up for the slide, not just the ride.
  • I don't want to start putting on a rain suit overall when it starts raining.
  • I don't want to bake when it is hot - vents would be awesome.

Budget: $1500 USD

I don't know jack about Enduro gear. I need your sage advice.

What do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2018, 06:20 AM (472)

Garage
Aerostitch?
gsa_guy, Bobvalrod, Viking and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2018, 12:00 PM (708)

In your price range you can own a Klim Badlands Pro suit. It's all dry (goretex) and has kept me completely dry in biblical weather. With the vents open on it, I used it to ride the entire Trans American trail from snow in the Rockies to 100+ F in the desert. It flows air pretty well with the vents open but you can feel like you're baking a bit when sitting still.

Klim has D3O armor and is incredibly durable. I've been down off-road in mine a few times in places that would have destroyed cheaper textile gear and you can't tell mine's not new after it's been washed.

There are others out there but I'm a fan of Klim.
Viking and Bumlinger like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2018, 06:43 PM (988)

Aerostich Roadcrafter!!
Have 25,000 miles on it and it’s most comfortable suit I’ve ever had. Ridden in heat up to 117° and in the rain and the cold never let me down!
Viking and LAS like this.

Last edited by Slow24; 18-Sep-2018 at 06:48 PM (992).
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2018, 07:21 PM (014)

Time change

Aerostich used to be the go to and I have one, but seems Klim Badlands is the go to now.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 19-Sep-2018, 11:24 AM (683)
GS (and DR)

Klim gear is very good. But... I'll stick with my Aerostich gear for now. Why? Because my 'stich gear is still in good shape so there is no reason to change! That, and I don't know if the Klim gear will last as long as Aerostich gear. Most likely by the time my current gear wears out I'll know the answer to that question. I typically get a dozen years of use out of my Aerostich gear (both Darien and Roadcrafter).
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 19-Sep-2018, 05:07 PM (922)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
where are you doing most of your riding? There'd be different answers for Orlando and Minneapolis.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-Sep-2018, 04:48 AM (408)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond View Post
Here is how I ride, and what I want:
  • I ride on the road. I'm not yet a serious off-road rider, but I do go on dirt roads.
  • Since I do track days, I lean a lot, so I push the bike to lower angles than most of my friends.
  • It's been drilled into me: suit up for the slide, not just the ride.
  • I don't want to start putting on a rain suit overall when it starts raining.
  • I don't want to bake when it is hot - vents would be awesome.

Budget: $1500 USD

I don't know jack about Enduro gear. I need your sage advice.

What do you recommend?
It's been my experience, if it keeps out rain it holds in heat. Some do a reasonable job but the best results seem to be separate components. Why wear rain liners 24/7. I didn't have anywhere near your budget but got a great deal on an Olympia X2 jacket and Olympia Dakar pants. There rain liner packs small and goes on in a minute. The X2 jacket has massive venting that turns it 1/2 mesh if you open all. The thermal liner is warm enough for single digit C weather. The rain jacket looks good. I used it as my walk around on a 25 day ride. There customer service was an A+. I contacted them about the elbow protection in the jacket not articulating properly for my Baboon arms. 24 hours later upgraded padding and some stickers showed up at my door. No charge. I've never looked at $1500 gear so maybe what you want is out there but I'm suited and booted for about half that and good to go. Spend half your budget on gear and the other on a trip. Just a thought. Cheers.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-Sep-2018, 05:56 AM (455)

Garage
Riding Gear and Equipment

When I started riding, either Belstaff or Barbour suits were the “go-to” for serious riding whether in competition or touring. After that, I heard about Andy Goldfine’s Darien suit. Many of the motorcycle magazines reviewed it and it obtained high marks. My wife had just started touring with me so I ordered one for her. When I saw the quality of the product, I hung up my Barbour suit and acquired a Darien for myself. I used the Darien from 1996 until 2015. In all of those years, I was never wet in that suit. In 2015, I hit black ice on the Blue Ridge Parkway and surfed down the road for about thirty feet. The jacket was messed up but repairable. The Darien pants were fine.

At that point, I decided to give BMW’s Rallye suit a try. I took it on one trip and, somewhere in Kansas, I decided it was too “fiddly” because of the rain liner and the external shell soaked up water like a sponge. Who wants to get up and put on a damp riding suit? I called my wife and she sent my wounded Darien out to me. Next, I tried Klim. I liked the venting and, for two years, it kept me dry. I even learned to put up with their pants that were as baggy as M.C. Hammer’s favorite trousers. After that, though, the suit started leaking. Yes, I did all the Tech Wash stuff but it still leaked. Finally, I bought a new Darien jacket and some AD-1 pants. They’ve been to Alaska three times and on at least that many trips across the continent. I’m done with trying the latest, greatest riding suits. I’m sticking with what I know will keep me dry.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-Sep-2018, 12:07 PM (713)

Garage
I have used a First Gear Kilimanjaro suit for the last 3 years. Waterproof (if such exists), pretty good venting. I comes with thermal lining. Pretty good suit for a medium price.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode