I use Waze with the Sena to get audible alerts. I don't need to do secretarial tasks while riding a bike. Honestly I wouldn't answer the Pope's phone call while riding. I'm 55, I don't need to take calls and view notifications while I'm riding. I spend most of my adult life without a smartphone. All that stuff isn't important to me. So it has no real benefit.
Think of it this way, a teenage girl in a car doing the same thing you're doing on a bike. Is her fixation on her phone more important than your life? Why would I do it? I need to be focused on that type of cage driver, not a damn phone.
You don't interact with a passive display device. Name one rider education course that covers cell phone RAM mounts as a part of the curriculum.
- I use Waze / OSMAND / GMaps etc. with my Sena too, and sometimes my NAV V. Viva technology!
- I'm not sure what "secretarial tasks" has to do with GPS nav or listening to music.
- I don't typically answer the phone either but I explicitly tell my loved ones that if it is an emergency they should call me b/c I can easily take phone calls on the bike, where text messages require me to pull over.
- I'm 47. La-tee-da.
- "All that stuff not being important to you" doesn't mean it is not important to others, which is probably why OP asked for input in the first place.
- I'm not going to comment on what a teenage girl may be doing in a car but I am fairly certain it is not the same thing I am doing on my bike.
- Name one driver education course that covers [insert any of 100s of things in here] as part of the curriculum. What, it's not on a moto course therefore it is verboten?
- I thought these were the R1200GS forums, not the Jaxon forums.
Dishonest question: Do you remove the console from your motorcycles after buying them? All that display gadgetry must be very distracting.
If the above sounded a bit snotty, that's what it was meant to sound like.