phone holder - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 07:08 PM (005)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
I use Waze with the Sena to get audible alerts. I don't need to do secretarial tasks while riding a bike. Honestly I wouldn't answer the Pope's phone call while riding. I'm 55, I don't need to take calls and view notifications while I'm riding. I spend most of my adult life without a smartphone. All that stuff isn't important to me. So it has no real benefit.

Think of it this way, a teenage girl in a car doing the same thing you're doing on a bike. Is her fixation on her phone more important than your life? Why would I do it? I need to be focused on that type of cage driver, not a damn phone.

You don't interact with a passive display device. Name one rider education course that covers cell phone RAM mounts as a part of the curriculum.
- I use Waze / OSMAND / GMaps etc. with my Sena too, and sometimes my NAV V. Viva technology!
- I'm not sure what "secretarial tasks" has to do with GPS nav or listening to music.
- I don't typically answer the phone either but I explicitly tell my loved ones that if it is an emergency they should call me b/c I can easily take phone calls on the bike, where text messages require me to pull over.
- I'm 47. La-tee-da.
- "All that stuff not being important to you" doesn't mean it is not important to others, which is probably why OP asked for input in the first place.
- I'm not going to comment on what a teenage girl may be doing in a car but I am fairly certain it is not the same thing I am doing on my bike.
- Name one driver education course that covers [insert any of 100s of things in here] as part of the curriculum. What, it's not on a moto course therefore it is verboten?
- I thought these were the R1200GS forums, not the Jaxon forums.

Dishonest question: Do you remove the console from your motorcycles after buying them? All that display gadgetry must be very distracting.

If the above sounded a bit snotty, that's what it was meant to sound like.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Last edited by fdbm17; 05-Sep-2019 at 08:15 PM (052).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-Sep-2019, 11:17 AM (678)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbm17 View Post
- I use Waze / OSMAND / GMaps etc. with my Sena too, and sometimes my NAV V. Viva technology!
- I'm not sure what "secretarial tasks" has to do with GPS nav or listening to music.
- I don't typically answer the phone either but I explicitly tell my loved ones that if it is an emergency they should call me b/c I can easily take phone calls on the bike, where text messages require me to pull over.
- I'm 47. La-tee-da.
- "All that stuff not being important to you" doesn't mean it is not important to others, which is probably why OP asked for input in the first place.
- I'm not going to comment on what a teenage girl may be doing in a car but I am fairly certain it is not the same thing I am doing on my bike.
- Name one driver education course that covers [insert any of 100s of things in here] as part of the curriculum. What, it's not on a moto course therefore it is verboten?
- I thought these were the R1200GS forums, not the Jaxon forums.

Dishonest question: Do you remove the console from your motorcycles after buying them? All that display gadgetry must be very distracting.

If the above sounded a bit snotty, that's what it was meant to sound like.
You read way too far into that. There was no condemnation of people using a RAM mount. Nowhere did I state "You're a stupid mother fucker if you use a mount." Somehow, you elected to make it an issue when other people ignored it. If it works for you GREAT. Those were simply reasons I don't find it necessary for me and the reasons why. I'd bet other's feel the same way. Count it as an observation. Did you miss the part where I said I own them? "unless I want to mount my BMW Navigator on the wife's G650GS." My opinion is not a condemnation of yours. Okay, so you disagree, I don't get your response over the subject. I've added a smiley face so others know that the benefit was meant to be a lighthearted joke. Obviously some people do see a benefit. I don't.

Safe riding.
fdbm17 and Sed8r like this.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-Sep-2019, 11:53 AM (703)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
You read way too far into that. There was no condemnation of people using a RAM mount. Nowhere did I state "You're a stupid mother fucker if you use a mount." Somehow, you elected to make it an issue when other people ignored it. If it works for you GREAT. Those were simply reasons I don't find it necessary for me and the reasons why. I'd bet other's feel the same way. Count it as an observation. Did you miss the part where I said I own them? "unless I want to mount my BMW Navigator on the wife's G650GS." My opinion is not a condemnation of yours. Okay, so you disagree, I don't get your response over the subject. I've added a smiley face so others know that the benefit was meant to be a lighthearted joke. Obviously some people do see a benefit. I don't.

Safe riding.
I can only read what someone writes, and you made some pretty definitive statements. I disagree with the definitive statements. I don't disagree with your experience or personal opinions. All good.
jaxon likes this.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2019, 09:59 AM (624)
New to the Enduro Game

Garage
Send a message via AIM to brucechristy
Do you have the navigation assembly installed on your bike?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2019, 07:24 PM (017) Thread Starter

Thanks for your input gentlemen.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2019, 07:25 PM (017) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucechristy View Post
Do you have the navigation assembly installed on your bike?
Yes I have a Nav VI
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2019, 09:35 AM (607)

If you go with the RAM X-grip mount (swear by them for motorcycling & flying) this is a nice setup to keep things clean around the handlebars. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...with-hole-base

2018 R1200 GS Rallye
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2019, 10:20 AM (639)

RAM Mounts
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2019, 03:47 PM (866)

I had RAM mount for a couple of years and switched to QuadLock which I use on my bicycle as well. Much more secure mount.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2019, 04:09 PM (881)
BMe

Garage
I use RokForm on motorcycle, bike & car windshield mounts. IMO there is nothing as easy to use and secure. You need to buy the a RokForm case, but I think their cases are as good as any. Since the mounts fit into a special cut out in the back of the case, the whole apparatus is simple & small but very secure. (No, I’m not getting any compensation from RokForm.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode