phone holder - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 09:23 AM (599) Thread Starter

phone holder

I customarily carry my phone in my side case or jacket, but am thinking of getting a handle bar mount for the i-phone. Any brands that seem to work best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 09:45 AM (614)

Garage
Ram ball mount with the X grip works pretty well.
fdbm17 likes this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 10:34 AM (648)

I agree. I use the X-grip ram mount below, and it works a treat!

Mine even came with an elastic mat that you can stretch over the corners of your phone to secure it to the mount, but honestly, you dont need it. Sits surprisingly well and still even at windy highway speeds.
Attached Images

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 10:54 AM (662)

Garage
My unsolicited advice.

Use your pocket.

1. You can walk away and forget your phone. Someone can take it.
2. The phone can get hot and shutdown. Really.
3. The glare of the sun can reflect back at you at the most inopportune time.
4. If you needed to use it you'll need to unlock it. That's a security risk, especially if you forget it.
5. Most phones don't work with a glove.
6. If you have an accident, your phone could fly anywhere and you might not be able to find it.
7. Never focus your attention on anything that's mounted that's no where near as important as paying attention.

Reasons to use a mount

1. It looks cool.

I have a ram mount. I never use it because in practice it has no real benefit. But it doesn't come in handy unless I want to mount my BMW Navigator on the wife's G650GS. The mounts for those are ridiculously in price.
Southpaw likes this.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS

Last edited by jaxon; 06-Sep-2019 at 10:52 AM (661).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 12:00 PM (708)

RAM Mounts Quick-Grip Universal Phone Holder With Ball. $23.00 make sure it comes with the ball mount. SOme sell the holder and ball mount separately.

Spring loaded (push the phone up against the top fingers and then push in. takes 1 second) so easy in/ou w/o folling with a rubber safety strap. Adjustable width/height so it usable with lots of different phones. I use an Iphone 7 with a Lifeproof waterproof case for all weather usage. I strung a charging cord up the handlebar so when the phone is in the holder I plug it in and it charges while I ride. Even in torrential downpours since the charge port is on the bottom of the phone there is no issues with water.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 12:03 PM (711)

I got an el cheapo phone mount from Amazon for about $15. ALWAYS use the rubber tether. I use my phone for music and don't have to unlock it to skip to the next tune, just a quick touch with a finger that wore it's way through the glove. If I get a phone call that I want to take, I pull over and call them back.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 12:41 PM (736)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
I never use it because in practice it has no real benefit.
I use my phone in my RAM mount all the time. It is my main GPS (Waze, OSMAND, Google Maps), my music player (Spotify), my visual incoming messages and phone calls notification (Android Auto, I can see who is calling). Plenty of real benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
Never focus your attention on anything that's mounted that's no where near as important as paying attention.
The speedo? My NAV V? Fuel gauge? Range-to-empty guessometer? Warning lights?
Ryno23 likes this.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Last edited by fdbm17; 05-Sep-2019 at 12:44 PM (739).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 01:03 PM (752)
Super Awesom Person

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 01:06 PM (754)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpenning View Post
I agree. I use the X-grip ram mount below, and it works a treat!

Mine even came with an elastic mat that you can stretch over the corners of your phone to secure it to the mount, but honestly, you dont need it. Sits surprisingly well and still even at windy highway speeds.
Agree, +1 on the retainer. I use a small bungee cord wrapped around it after I put it in the X Grip.
I used it during two High Rockies Adventure Rides with the people at RawHyde and my phone never came lose. It sure shook a lot though, but never came off.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 06:33 PM (981)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbm17 View Post
I use my phone in my RAM mount all the time. It is my main GPS (Waze, OSMAND, Google Maps), my music player (Spotify), my visual incoming messages and phone calls notification (Android Auto, I can see who is calling). Plenty of real benefit.

The speedo? My NAV V? Fuel gauge? Range-to-empty guessometer? Warning lights?
I use Waze with the Sena to get audible alerts. I don't need to do secretarial tasks while riding a bike. Honestly I wouldn't answer the Pope's phone call while riding. I'm 55, I don't need to take calls and view notifications while I'm riding. I spend most of my adult life without a smartphone. All that stuff isn't important to me. So it has no real benefit.

Think of it this way, a teenage girl in a car doing the same thing you're doing on a bike. Is her fixation on her phone more important than your life? Why would I do it? I need to be focused on that type of cage driver, not a damn phone.

You don't interact with a passive display device. Name one rider education course that covers cell phone RAM mounts as a part of the curriculum.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in