Klim Helmet feedback - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2020, 06:52 AM (536) Thread Starter

Klim Helmet feedback

I'm looking for some real world feedback on the newer Klim helmets:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...arsenal-helmet

I finally got to try one on and it fits me well. I may be going in to Bob's in the next few weeks to pick one up but would love to hear of anyone's experience that have put some miles on it.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2020, 10:25 AM (684)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
I've put about 35,000 miles on one, I love it.

Quiet, cool, love the Transition Lens, PinLock works, though when it got down to about 33F and it was really raining on the Dalton last June there was a bit of condensation around my nose.

On my GS Adv the helmet is very quiet, I ride with the Beak on all the time.

I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold installed and it was a simple install using the adhesive mount.

Just finished 5,000 miles in Australia on an FJR with my riding Mate Down Under, the helmet was a little noisier on the FJR and I generally rode without the Beak installed. More a function of the bikes windscreen than the helmet I think.

I got mine through Black Hills Moto, Alex Johnson is a straight shooter and if you CALL him you are likely to get a much better deal.

If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM.
GrayBeard likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2020, 05:10 AM (465) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
I've put about 35,000 miles on one, I love it.
Thanks for that feedback. The price at my local BMW dealer is the same as found on Revzilla but I like deals . I'll give your guy a call.

I think it's important to support my local dealer so if the price is close, I'll almost always buy from them.

How's the transitions shield? Any quirks or problems with it? I've yet to use on on any of my hats and I'm intrigued with it. I pretty much always keep a very dark shield on my helmets which is a problem at night. I either have to carry my clear shield and swap it or ride with it up and get bugs in my eyes. I usually carry my clear and this would hopefully eliminate that problem. Does it get really dark in direct sunlight?

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2020, 06:45 AM (531)

KLIM helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
I'm looking for some real world feedback on the newer Klim helmets:

I finally got to try one on and it fits me well. I may be going in to Bob's in the next few weeks to pick one up but would love to hear of anyone's experience that have put some miles on it.
I have used the helmet for about a year and enjoy it. Transition visor works great in most conditions. It does not get real dark, so in bright sunlight conditions sunglasses still needed.
GrayBeard likes this.

JCW
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2020, 09:00 AM (625)
Survivor

Garage
Second endorsement for Black Hills Moto.

Been wearing a Klim modular for about 14,000 miles. Initial fit seemed like the XL was very tight at the cheeks and the XXL was too loose everywhere. I did not check to see if I could swap cheek pads, but I imagine they can be purchased. The cheek pads loosened with a 1,000 miles of wear and the helmet is comfortable now. It is a tighter squeeze to get on an off, but that is an indication of a good fit I believe. It is a bit noisier than my previous NeoTech and about the same as my C3 Schuberth. The noise is not an issue. It is noticealy lighter than other modulars and quality of fit and finish is excellent. I am not sold on the transition lens. It works as advertised but has a slight tint even on cloudy days and during dawn and dusk periods. I also liked being able to ride with my faceshield up and only the flip down tinted half visor down on the Shoei and Schuberth. I am happy with the Klim and their price is good compared to other top line helmets, especially if you buy from Black Hills Moto, but were I buying a new helmet now it would probably be a Shoei.
GrayBeard likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2020, 09:07 AM (630)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Klim Helmet Feedback - Transition Lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
How's the transitions shield?

Quote:
Any quirks or problems with it?
Colder temperatures, as in 30's F - tend to make the Transition Shield slow to react to low light,
it stays darker than I cared for. My Transition lens glasses behave the same way.

Quote:
I pretty much always keep a very dark shield on my helmets which is a problem at night.
I usually carry my clear and this would hopefully eliminate that problem.
I have not had an issue with the Transition Lens being dark at night, I haven't done a lot of night riding either, the few times I have the temperature has been 50F+ so I have not suffered from cold-induced darkening issues.

Does it get really dark in direct sunlight? Yes, I have not had an occasion where I thought I needed Sun Glasses underneath the Transition Lens. It is one of the things I was concerned about having had a Shoei Neotec Helmet previously which has an Internal Sun Visor. The Transition Lens works great in the sun!
Hope this helps you
GrayBeard likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2020, 09:05 PM (128)

I have that exact helmet. I got it when it first came out, plus the expensive Sena built-in system. The helmet is extremely light, that's what I bought it. I always wear earplugs, otherwise I think it would be noisy. I don't like the Transitions lens as when I leave the helmet sitting in direct sunlight, the shadows shine through the beak and give it a picket fence look for a few minutes when I drive off. I ride 80/20 dirt, and it seems very breathable and well ventilated. The Sena system is kind of a PITA, as it comes with a separate handlebar mounted gizmo that I can never remember how to use. The sound quality is crappy, too. The helmet is high quality and expensive, like most Klim gear, but worth it if you value your head!
GrayBeard likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2020, 08:56 AM (622)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by busboya300 View Post
I have that exact helmet. I got it when it first came out, plus the expensive Sena built-in system. The helmet is extremely light, that's what I bought it. I always wear earplugs, otherwise, I think it would be noisy. I don't like the Transitions lens as when I leave the helmet sitting in direct sunlight, the shadows shine through the beak and give it a picket fence look for a few minutes when I drive off. I ride 80/20 dirt, and it seems very breathable and well ventilated. The Sena system is kind of a PITA, as it comes with a separate handlebar-mounted gizmo that I can never remember how to use. The sound quality is crappy, too. The helmet is high quality and expensive, like most Klim gear, but worth it if you value your head!
I concur on the leave it with the sun shining through the beak and the lens and you have a funky pattern for a few minutes. Hasn't been a major irritant for me, I try to remember to put the visor down if I'm leaving it in the sun which prevents the goofy pattern.

I too ride with earplugs though with this helmet on my GS ADV I am comfortable without them.

Riding in Australia in December on an FJR without the beak on the helmet I needed earplugs.

Most of the wind noise appears to come in around the neck roll, when I wear my neck gaiter the helmet is much quieter, earplugs in or out.
GrayBeard likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2020, 12:16 PM (761)
'05 R 1200 Gs

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ +

'05 1200 GS
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-Jan-2020, 04:08 PM (922)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ +
What is your head worth to you? Your wife?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in