Here by Default - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stixx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 08:27 AM (560) Thread Starter
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Here by Default

Having memberships in a number of forums according to bikes owned past and present I find myself joining on here for help in a quandary which I find myself in.

A year ago I traded my Triumph Explorer for a BMW R 1200 RS due to a need for a more stable platform to tour on and found the bike wonderful in all the ways I liked R bikes but much lighter to the touch and far less top heavy. Alas after an 8000 mile tour of the US recently I found the RS to be lacking ergos for my particular shape, i.e.short in limb length and inseam it seemed fine at first with only the addition of Illium bar risers but on a 30 day trip the lack of legroom and bars and seat found it lacking in overall comfort for 300 mile days and was taking a bit of the joy away. Addition of lower pegs which were made for a GS helped the knees and a Sargent seat has recently been added to help the bukkass but I'm beginning to think I may have bought the wrong bike after all is said and done so I began looking at BMW R 1200 GS Low examples at my local dealer.

Last edited by Stixx; 31-Aug-2017 at 08:31 AM (563).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 11:17 AM (679)

Here's a very helpful website that allows you to see the ergonomics of particular bikes. You can put your height/inseam in and also see how bar risers affect the ride position.

Motorcycle Ergonomics
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 11:38 AM (693)

Hello,

I have a 2017 GSA lowered and I love it. I'm 5'6" 150lbs, I added the Wunderlich bar risers and they also come back towards you a little and love them. Ergonomically have not added anything else but I would like a different seat I do feel like the stock one has me angled towards the tank so it's not the best angle for my berries!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 11:40 AM (694)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Hello,

I have a 2017 GSA lowered and I love it. I'm 5'6" 150lbs, I added the Wunderlich bar risers and they also come back towards you a little and love them. Ergonomically have not added anything else but I would like a different seat I do feel like the stock one has me angled towards the tank so it's not the best angle for my berries!
Aren't the seats adjustable so you can raise the front and lower the back?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 11:41 AM (695)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddels View Post
Aren't the seats adjustable so you can raise the front and lower the back?
LOL YES!! o' wait more words
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-Sep-2017, 04:45 PM (906) Thread Starter
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Who'd a thunk it.

I thought my only option was going to be buying a factory "Low " GS to get a good platform but on my way to the third dealer and one of my favorite ones , also the dealer I purchased my RS from a year ago , I had somewhat of an epiphany.

Yep , something told me to just drop in knowing they only had one "Low " BMW GS in stock and it was the older 17 design on the tank plastics and was white and the deal breaker had the spoke wheels for which I was not wanting .

So I stumble on the warehouse selections and found an R 1200 GS "Exclusing" , very similar to the blue Rally that caught my fancy but without the taller off road suspending and with a less desirable color way . The thing was I sat on it and thought , this is wrong, This must be a "Low" model. Well not sure about all that but I talked with my guy and he said "ride it and see" Well the rest is history now as the numbers got even better and this baby had the Allow wheels which I really preferred since I do almost no off road save , forest roads to get to campgrounds I want etc.

So I ride the thing and find with the seat in the low position and the suspension settings on several different options it was fine for me. That was with no panniers and fuel so it can only get better in time I suppose. I really think my ergonomic challenges are pretty much over and the stock seat which was listed as a comfort seat worked really well for me. On some of the firmer settings it did seem a bit taller but I'm not going to race this bike Im going to tour with it and I do believe I have found the right one. Color ways are easily overcome with the new "Wrapping" that they do here in Atlanta so I wont have to sell my closet full of matching gear I bought for the blue and white RS. LOL
Kemo Sabe likes this.

Last edited by Stixx; 03-Sep-2017 at 04:46 PM (907). Reason: add a photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode