Tim Burke Accident - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tykebe
  • 1 Post By Southpaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2018, 05:08 PM (964) Thread Starter

Tim Burke Accident

Hey guys,

For those of us who know and follow Tim on his incredible journey - you know heís recently been in an accident in Lima.

Please help a fellow adv rider and friend if you can! Thank you and please share!

The GoFundMe is called Tim Burke Recovery

Mods: if this isnít allowed please just delete. Advrider banned me for posting this
Ivabign and Mr. Adventure like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2018, 08:53 AM (620)
'05 R 1200 Gs

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2018, 01:55 PM (829)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Tim takes beautiful pictures, many on the various R1200GS facebook pages. Anyway - so you don't have to hunt all over - he has a facebook page called tim burke photography. This is a copied post from him from Jan 31 that details the accident, if you're terminally curious (like me).

"Well, shit happens and it happens quick. In the blink of an eye, this journey has come to an end. And itís beyond crushing to admit to it.

First, before getting too far into this, Iíll say that Iím OK. Iím uninjuredÖ And I have absolutely no clue how or why.

Today at about noon, on top of a 14000 foot mountain pass in the Andes, I got into a head on collision with a Toyota Hilux pickup truck. Despite us both smashing on the brakes, we impacted at a decent speed. It crushed in the front of the truck, and of course, it crushed the front end of my motorcycle. The front suspension is twisted, rim dented, and both radiators busted wide open. I bounced into the hood of the truck, before sliding off and walking away without a scratch.

Itís not self pity that Iím feeling, but overwhelming disappointment that Iím letting my supporters down. Itís humbling to know that I had so many people rooting me on. EVERY day, TOTAL strangers, offered me words of encouragement, offered a couch to sleep on, or just an offer for a cold beer in their hometown - on whichever continent they were on.

This journey has changed me, who I am, and how I perceive the world. And Iím so grateful to have people like you all, that helped make this happen.

Half the joy of this journey was sharing pictures - Sharing my photography. Trying to gets others into the moment with me. So, if over the past 9 months, you were part of my life, or who hit the ďlikeĒ button on a pictureÖjust once, Thank you.

Anyways, líll try to provide updates as they happen.

For now, Iím in a pretty isolated town in the Andes, working out logistics for getting the bike to the capital city of Lima, 10 hours away.. There, hopefully I can sell it for parts, or ship it back to the USA, where I can do the same.

At this point, itís a salvage effort. I donít have much planned beyond tomorrow.

This part is the worst, as I hate asking for help. If anybody has contacts in Lima or Chimbote (Peru) that might be able to offer assistance in shipping, Iíd greatly appreciate it. Of course, I will reimburse you for your assistance.

Iím not going to post pictures of the crash right now. Instead, Iíll post a picture that I took that makes me happy.

Thatís all I have for now, friends. Thank you so much."

ďThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2018, 09:32 PM (147)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
he also posts on instagram...sometimes a couple of times a day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode