New in CO, USA - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-Oct-2018, 07:44 PM (030) Thread Starter

Garage
New in CO, USA

Recently got a 2018 R1200GS Adventure, and of course looking to make it my own, and learn about the adv world. Hi everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2018, 04:40 AM (402)

Welcome to the Forum!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2018, 05:51 AM (452)

Welcome! I'm also in Colorado (Metro-Denver)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2018, 08:49 PM (076) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! Denver here too. Got my 600(really 850) mile service done, so the leash is off! Working on building good habits after changing over from an HD bike. Any tips on training? I'm planning for a Rawhyde trip at some point, but until then I want to ingrain good basics.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 27-Oct-2018, 05:41 AM (445)

This your first ADV bike, Dual Sport, or any type of "offroad" motorcycle?

Quite a bit of difference between the Harley and the BMW! I kept my Harleys. Love them too much for what they are and do to get rid of them...

Training is a great idea. I did a course when I had my Honda Africa Twin DCT to learn my limits on it. When I bought my GSA I took a course again to learn my limits on it. Anyways, I considered taking the Rawhyde course, but went with West 38 Moto (WEST 38 MOTO ? Ride and Discover). They came highly recommended and the main instructor and owner, Dusty, is a former Rawhyde instructor. I figured if I didn't learn enough or feel it gave me what I needed, it was cheap enough and I could then always do Rawhyde. I took the class both times from West 38 Moto. The first time it was great with Dusty leading the class. He is a great instructor. Lots of personal attention, very animated, very enthusiastic. I was exhausted after the second day. I learned alot and didn't feel the need to take the Rawhyde class.

The second time I took it, it wasn't so good. Dusty was doing some other training and had one of his other instructors lead the class. While they covered the same material, the lead instructor (who was also a former Rawhyde Instructor) was nowhere as enthusiastic as Dusty and I felt he was just going through the motions. I wouldn't say it wasn't worth it, but would only recommend it to someone on a budget.

If there is a negative to even the first class, it's the location of where they teach. The "Denver" classes are held at IMI Motorsports Park. The class is done outside next to where all the dirtbikes, ATVs, or whatever offroad vehicles are being ridden. A crapload of dust is kicked up, it can be noisy at times, people riding through the training area, kids whose parents cut them loose riding pretty recklessly. IMO, it can be dangerous. As a matter of fact, there was a near-collision when one of the students almost hit a kid on a small bike who rode right through where we were doing drills. They did mention they are looking for a different location, maybe somewhere up in the mountains near some trails/Fire-roads/Forest Service roads so students can ride real-world "obstacles" and away from the chaos.

Even though I pointed out some criticisms, I do think the class was worth it. Even knowing what I know now, I'd take the class again ONLY if Dusty was teaching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outaluck View Post
Thanks! Denver here too. Got my 600(really 850) mile service done, so the leash is off! Working on building good habits after changing over from an HD bike. Any tips on training? I'm planning for a Rawhyde trip at some point, but until then I want to ingrain good basics.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 27-Oct-2018, 08:55 PM (080)

Garage
Congratulations and welcome to the group

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-Oct-2018, 07:34 PM (023) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info for West 38 Moto. I am finding that October is just not the best month to start training. Unless I want to travel... I am new to ADV/off road riding. I've only been street/cruisers until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode