• 1 Post By GrayBeard
  • 1 Post By rsmith
  • 2 Post By GrayBeard
  • 2 Post By Dr. Strangelove
  • 1 Post By Revilok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Mar-2019, 11:21 AM (681) Thread Starter

Adventure Rider Wanna Be from NE FL

Hey guys, I decided to join the forum to do some research and ask questions about going the Adventure route. I've been around motorcycles since I was 4 years old. Started out on dirt bikes but have been on Harley touring bikes mostly for the last several years. Currently ride a 2018 Road Glide and I actually just want to add another horse to the barn and not get rid of the Harley. I might if it gets too neglected though.

I started out looking at K1600's and R1200RT's a few years ago and came real close to getting one of those a couple of times. As time has passed and I keep looking outside HD world and talking to people I have been getting more and more interested in the adventure scene. I guess my problem is that I feel there are too many motorcycles and too little time.

Looking forward to following along and getting educated as I want to buy a used bike and want to know what the issues are that I may need to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2019, 03:45 AM (365)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revilok View Post
Hey guys, I decided to join the forum to do some research and ask questions about going the Adventure route. I've been around motorcycles since I was 4 years old. Started out on dirt bikes but have been on Harley touring bikes mostly for the last several years. Currently ride a 2018 Road Glide and I actually just want to add another horse to the barn and not get rid of the Harley. I might if it gets too neglected though.

I started out looking at K1600's and R1200RT's a few years ago and came real close to getting one of those a couple of times. As time has passed and I keep looking outside HD world and talking to people I have been getting more and more interested in the adventure scene. I guess my problem is that I feel there are too many motorcycles and too little time.

Looking forward to following along and getting educated as I want to buy a used bike and want to know what the issues are that I may need to look for.
Welcome! I totally share your sentiment about "too many bikes, too little time." The proper number of bikes in my garage has settled out on 3: a 1200GS for adv and road trips, a KTM Super Duke for sporty rides, and a Yamaha WR250R for the trails and more challenging multi-day adv rides. I've been doing a pretty significant (for me) adv ride every year since 2015 and haven't looked back yet. I'm enjoying it so much that I keep knobby tires on my 1200GS. So, not too many years ago I was just where you are now looking to figure out what all this fuss is about on taking long multi-day trips that are significantly off the pavement.

I learned a couple years ago that you live in a pretty fun place to get off in the woods. We did an adventure ride called the SEAT (SouthEast Adventure Trail) which is a mostly dirt ride that does a big loop around Georgia. In the south, it passes through the Apalachicola and Tate's Hell on the forests roads before rambling back up toward N. Georgia.

If you haven't been there already, check out advrider.com. It's a massive resource for all things adv related.

Dive on in!
Revilok likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2019, 06:24 AM (475)

Garage
Welcome to the group...

@GrayBeard......always thought the correct number of bikes was 1 more.....
Revilok likes this.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2019, 11:35 AM (691)

Garage
I've been riding BMW's since the 90's but have had several HD bikes in between. Once I got tired of the lack of technology and lack of performance with HD, I finally bailed and bought a K1200GT which was leaps and bounds better than what HD offered. Then I upgraded to a K1600GT which is still the best touring bike I've ever owned hands down. Now I have a R1200GSA that sits in the stall with the K16. I love them both for different reasons.
I wouldn't steer anyone away from either bike, it just depends on what the end game is.

2013 R1200GSA
2014 K1600GT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2019, 01:23 PM (766) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnybow View Post
I've been riding BMW's since the 90's but have had several HD bikes in between. Once I got tired of the lack of technology and lack of performance with HD, I finally bailed and bought a K1200GT which was leaps and bounds better than what HD offered. Then I upgraded to a K1600GT which is still the best touring bike I've ever owned hands down. Now I have a R1200GSA that sits in the stall with the K16. I love them both for different reasons.
I wouldn't steer anyone away from either bike, it just depends on what the end game is.
I want the Adv bike to be able to explore off road and really get into some places that a street bike just won't do. I've ridden many cruiser's and touring bikes and have settled into something that fits my needs well for right now in that department. In fact, I did over 250mi on a friends K1600GT today and loved it but I would rather keep my Shark and add the GS or GSA. Getting an Adv bike is a direction that I hadn't considered going before and the more I research the more I like it. That's why I'm here and can't wait till the day I put one in my garage. Maybe down the road I can decide if I want to swap the Shark out for something different or just ride the GS full time. Who knows....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2019, 06:58 PM (998)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
Welcome to the group...

@GrayBeard......always thought the correct number of bikes was 1 more.....
Come to think of it, I have been thinking about adding a dedicated track bike to the garage. So many bikes, so little time (and garage space - and money).
rsmith and Revilok like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Mar-2019, 05:31 AM (438)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
welcome and good luck with your decision. We are rarely short on facts and never short on opinion
rsmith and Revilok like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Mar-2019, 05:35 AM (441) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
welcome and good luck with your decision. We are rarely short on facts and never short on opinion
Thanks and I would expect nothing less!
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode