Trying to learn more about ADV Riding - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ExHarley Rider
  • 2 Post By GrayBeard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 05:53 PM (953) Thread Starter

Trying to learn more about ADV Riding

Grew up on 3wheelers (yes i survived), quads, and dirt bikes...in my mid 40's got a Harley, and now the dirt is calling me again. I am looking into getting a used 1200 to see if I still like it!!! Any recommendations? Will test drive a 2014 1200GS with 48k miles.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 05:47 AM (449)

Get some training. Most off road courses offer rental bikes. Cheaper than getting your own bike and you'll see if you like this size bike in the dirt. I like mine, but maybe you would be more comfortable on a F750GS or even something smaller. I have been toying with the idea of adding a250-450cc bike that is more dirt oriented.

The 1200GS is THE Swiss Army Knifes of bikes, Does most everything OK, but only a few things great.
TrojanAlx likes this.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 06:40 AM (486)

When people refer to ADV riding, and the bikes that fall into that category, "the dirt calling me again" isn't the first thing that comes to mind and maybe something for you to think about. Think of ADV bikes as on-road motorcycles that can also go off the pavement. That's going to necessarily make them generally heavier, more powerful, more capable of carrying a load of gear, and maybe more comfortable for spending all day in the saddle, day after day. All of that compromises the dirt ability where weight is everything. The ADV bikes fall on a spectrum from the little Yamaha WR250R to the BMW R1200GSA. The WR250R is a dirt bike that can be very effectively put to ADV ride use. The R1200GS(A) are really big bikes that are capable of taking you around the world but if dirt bike fun is what you're looking for, probably not the bike for you. These bikes really do require a different style of riding them in off the pavement and if you develop those skills can be taken in all kinds of gnarly places.

If you really want to see what these bikes are capable of, go to the BMW off-road school (or RawHyde, etc) and they'll get you confident in the techniques you need to not bust your ass when you're off the pavement and you would have a lot better idea if this is what you're looking for.

I have both a WR250R that's set up for more serious off-road use but with pannier racks, GPS mount, etc. and I also have a R1200GS. I think the GS is a real ADV bike and I've taken it on trips of thousands of miles that involved more than 50% off the pavement. The 250 is more of a dirt bike that will take me off in the woods camping for a few days and allow me to cover some more technical single tracks that would be too much work on the GS. They're more different than alike but you could say both are ADV bikes.

Hope that all helps in your search for getting some dirt under your tires again.
Revilok and TrojanAlx like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by GrayBeard; 20-Apr-2019 at 07:43 AM (530).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 10:34 PM (148) Thread Starter

Much appreciated advice

Thank you for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode