Upgrading from 310 GS - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By snorre.myrvik

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 02:00 PM (792) Thread Starter

Upgrading from 310 GS

Hi!

In 1987 at age 14 I got my first 50cc, a Honda Camino, a very small moped with pedal start. After a year of running it up and down our street with no license, I got to change it to a Suzuki ER 50. Had this until I took my car license at 18 years old. Me and my mates carved up every dirt road, quarry and forests around the area and it was my first feeling of freedom to go anywhere on my own. It was great.

In 1993 I got my big bike license, and bought a Suzuki GSX 750. The eighties one with the square headlight. It was cheap and didn't get much love, which means it ran pretty bad. But I loved it, that big wide engine and how it pulled when I gave it some gas.

After that I had japanese bikes, for the most part cheap ones, until I turned 40 in 2013 and bought a 2000 Harley Fatboy which I imported from Dallas.

I traded that in a 1965 HD Electra Glide and later I got a customized Softail which I eventually put into the belly of a moose bull. It was repaired under insurance, but I sold it and got a brand new Moto Guzzi V7, 2016 model.

The Guzzi was great, and I started exploring local gravel roads on it. Even put Anakee 3 tires on it, and was planning suspension upgrades when BMW released the G310 GS here in Norway. I tested it and made the trade. Did ride 5000 km on it last season, and put on a few upgrades to make it fit my 6 feet 3 inches body. Taller risers, larger windscreen, high seat, etc.

So far, so good. A few weeks ago I went by the BMW dealer and they had a 09 1200 GSA with complete service history, new service and 68000 km on the clock. I test rode it, and that was that. I had to have it. Probably the only bike I've ever had that fit my size, apart from the Fatboy. The GSA is even more comfortable, and I can flat foot it with the seat in the tallest position.

I love the tractable engine and the comfortable riding position, and the ESA. What a machine!

It's good to know that there's a lot of knowledgable people in this forum, I'll be lurching from time to time, and hopefully contribute at some point.

Cheers from mid-Norway.

Snorre

Sent fra min ONEPLUS A6000 via Tapatalk
drbuzzard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode