Owner less than 24 hours & already problems - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 05:46 AM (449) Thread Starter

Owner less than 24 hours & already problems

Hi folks, always wanted the R1200GS so went out & bought one yesterday, son was out on it last night & the windscreen nearly ended up on his lap. We didn't notice it when we bought it but there was a tie wrap under the front of the screen, looks like it was trying to hold it in place. So today I started to strip it down, there is an aluminium bracket out front which looks like you push some pegs in to hold the front of the screen, one of these has broke, searching the web finds nothing.

I have taken some images to explain more but need 5 posts by the looks of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 05:49 AM (451) Thread Starter

Just to add if I need to go to a main dealer I'm based on the North Notts, South Yorks border
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 06:46 AM (490)

Garage
Is the bike new or used? Did you purchase it from a BMW dealer, independent shop or private party? In any case, contacting the selling party over this would be the best course of action. Hope you get it sorted out....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 06:51 AM (494)
Survivor

Garage
Maybe looking at a parts fiche will help you figure out what the problem and solution are.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/partsfiche.aspx

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 07:34 AM (523)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I have taken some images to explain more but need 5 posts by the looks of it
You can post the photos online someplace like imgur.com and post a link here.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 07:43 AM (529)

I'm so jaded anymore when looking at used bikes. I've been out several times looking at a craigslist bike only to find that it was completely misrepresented. I ask very specific questions now before I go to see a bike. You listed it "like new" so when I come out to see it there is absolutely nothing wrong with it (whether it makes a difference to you or not), right? Send me more photos taken today. Do you have the service history available? That last question weeds out a lot of liars about how the bike was maintained. I like to believe the best in people but most recently I went to buy a 2 year old bike for my daughter - her first bike - and it was listed as "like new & excellent showroom condition." When I got there it wouldn't start, was covered in dirt and grim, the chain had about 6 inches of slack in it, and when I asked who maintains the bike they replied "Oh, this thing is so reliable we've never had to put a wrench on it." Uh huh. When I told then they lied about the condition of the bike in the ad and on the phone their response was "We'll drop a few hundred dollars off the price." My reply to that was that the only way this bike is leaving here with me is if you pay me $100 to haul it to the dump for you. That pretty much ended the negotiation and I got to have a very good conversation with my daughter about not getting your heart set on something so much that you can't walk away from it. The next day I bought her a 10 year old bike that was like new and had been properly maintained and it's been flawless.

Buyer beware.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 07:50 AM (534)
'05 R 1200 Gs

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 08:24 AM (558) Thread Starter

To answer the questions, it was a private sale, in the UK it's Buyer Beware, once paid that's it you're on your own, but anyway it was cheap enough & we did expect to have to do a few things, it's just annoying to have to do them so soon. I tried to load the images up to imggbb but they are blocked as well & told to remove them

I found a guy in the UK who has a kit, www . motorworks . co . uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=35&Ct=TA&SbCt=BA_15_35_TA_40 &spPage=2 their FFA77670 which is the BMW part number 46637677670 Not cheapfor a few bolts but at least it will sort it.

We may have a rear ABS issue as well but more of that once we get out on the road.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 08:29 AM (562) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Maybe you need this

Had to take link out or I couldn't post
Yep they are part of what we need, but there are also some little ones that fit right at the front of the mount.
Southpaw likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 12:52 PM (744)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
We may have a rear ABS issue as well but more of that once we get out on the road.
Rear ABS Sensor may only need of clearing. Usually is full with filings. I ask dealer - this is a normal, bike is heavy.

R 1200 GS '06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode