R1200GS Forum banner

presentation

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  advgunner 
#1 ·
Hello!
I am Portuguese and new in these wanderings, so I would like to help in what I can and to be helped.
I would like to buy the BMW GS 1200 bike but I would like your opinion, what is the best year and model.Thank you all for your help.

#3 ·
Bem vindo senhor,

My Portuguese language is not very good, so I'll continue in english.

Your question if difficult, it depends of a lot of factor.

Your budget ? newer bikes are more expensive but, they can have a warranty and have lower mileage, older models cost less... but might need parts/repairs.

Can you work on it yourself (parts are not that expensive) ?

What do you want to do with it (long trips, commuting, asphalt, dirt, etc...)

Tell us more and we will help.

#4 ·
what's important to you in the GS you seek? Price? Warranty? something else?

I have a 2016, no problems in over 50k miles, love it. People say the 1250 is really nice and an improvement over the 1200, but I am totally satisfied with my 16 and I am not tempted by the newer version at all.

#5 ·
Jealous of The doctors 50k miles! Even if money is a bit scarce I’d go for a new bike if it’s not the first year of a new generation. So I wouldn’t buy the first year of larger engine size or first year of water cooled. So that statement about water cooled applies to used bikes too. If you can find a new 1200 still on a dealers lot that would be good because price would be reduced. If you can wait until the 2nd year of the 1250 that would be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.