A noobs greeting from Annapolis - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2019, 08:53 AM (620) Thread Starter

Garage
A noobs greeting from Annapolis

2019 was a year of "firsts":

04.19 - Riding a big bike. (3 day ADV training class) Mastered the low speed "get-off" and "pick-up".
06.19 - Owning a bike (2018, R1200GSA).

Practice, Practice, Practice

08.19 - 09.19 - Solo ride around the country (24 states, 7K miles). Countless memories, conversations. A life changing experience.
09.19 - Started planning my next adventure before I even took off my helmet.

Practice, Practice, Practice

11.12.19 - First time posting on any forum.
GrayBeard and julit0 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2019, 12:54 PM (787)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Another first

Well, this is your first response!

Welcome.
Crabtown likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2019, 01:28 PM (811)

Garage
And your first forum "Like". Keep riding!
Crabtown likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2019, 02:13 PM (842)

I'm also in Annapolis but with all those types of "firsts" in my distant past but I'd love to hear about your ADV training class. I did the BMW school in Greer SC a few years ago and I've been threatening to go again with a few friends here that were looking to do it.

Also love to hear more about your big ride around the country. We also do something like that just about every year and I'm always open to learning about a new route to ride.

Welcome.
Crabtown likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2019, 08:30 PM (104) Thread Starter

Garage
Step 1: Training

Grey Beard, thank you for your note. In the spirit of time, I’ll reply in two parts.

Not having prior experience riding motorcycles, proper instruction seemed like a good idea. ADV riding in some capacity has long been my goal, BMW seemed to be at the epicenter and BMW tends to do things pretty well. Also, as a noob, I knew I needed “real” instruction that would focus on truly developing my skills. Sifting through the data, it came down to RawHyde (CA or CO) or the BMW Training Center in SC. Both are BMW Training Centers and seemed to be outstanding but Jim Hyde owns RawHyde and puts his soul into assuring that everything is perfect. Not good but perfect. As a small example, coffee mugs are always heated.

In April, I flew to CA and attended their Intro to Adventure class. Jim and his entire team are immensely proud of being part of RawHyde. After stowing our gear, making introductions and brief class instruction, it was game on. We suited up and were assigned our bikes. (New 2019 R1250GS)

There we 10 in our group (with 3 instructors). Two had originally signed up for the Next Step class but opted to take Intro. Not counting me, the skill level in Intro ranged from skilled to highly skilled. All the lessons focused on balance, weighting, body position, clutch/throttle control. Skills were built doing a whole range of exercises on different terrains. Yes, the instructors were exceptional riders but more importantly they “instructed” and were committed to making everyone’s RawHyde experience fantastic.

It would be unfair for me to claim that other training centers or instructors aren’t as good as RawHyde. I can only say that my experience at RawHyde far exceeded my expectations.

By the way, I’m planning on taking the Intro course again this spring.
GrayBeard likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2019, 08:50 PM (118) Thread Starter

Garage
My 1st Big Ride

Grey Beard,

Without providing too much commentary, my route was:

Westbound: Annapolis -> Bridgeport, WV -> Auburn, IN -> Charlevoix, MI -> Grand Marias, MI ->
Ashland, WI -> East Grand Forks, MN -> Wolf Point, MT -> Shelby, MT -> Kalispell, MT -> (brief stop in Eastport, ID) -> Sandpoint, ID -> Seattle, WA

Shipped bike to LA

Eastbound: LA -> Las Vegas -> Kanab, UT -> Torrey, UT -> Dove Point, CO -> Montrose, CO -> Canon City, CO -> Dodge City, KS -> Fredonia, KS -> Poplar Bluff, KS -> Kingston, TN -> Blowing Rock, NC -> Snowshoe, WV -> Annapolis
GrayBeard likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2019, 07:55 AM (580)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabtown View Post
Grey Beard,

Without providing too much commentary, my route was:

Westbound: Annapolis -> Bridgeport, WV -> Auburn, IN -> Charlevoix, MI -> Grand Marias, MI ->
Ashland, WI -> East Grand Forks, MN -> Wolf Point, MT -> Shelby, MT -> Kalispell, MT -> (brief stop in Eastport, ID) -> Sandpoint, ID -> Seattle, WA

Shipped bike to LA

Eastbound: LA -> Las Vegas -> Kanab, UT -> Torrey, UT -> Dove Point, CO -> Montrose, CO -> Canon City, CO -> Dodge City, KS -> Fredonia, KS -> Poplar Bluff, KS -> Kingston, TN -> Blowing Rock, NC -> Snowshoe, WV -> Annapolis
Wow, what an awesome ride especially for someone new to motorcycles. I've always believed that you learn more about your bike, yourself, and trip planning when you take the plunge to do a ride where after the first or second night you're still headed farther from home. There's this long ride groove that only happens after 3 - 4 days on the road where the only thing on your mind is the ride and all your stress about anything else is gone. I try to seek out that groove at least twice a year and dream about it the rest of the time.

I've heard nothing but good things about RawHyde and can report that the SC BMW school is also top notch. Either would be money well spent for anyone thinking of taking their bike off the pavement. And really, isn't that what everyone should be thinking?
Crabtown likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2019, 08:58 AM (623) Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you. It was an amazing trip. I could have gone for years - some day, maybe I will.

A small example of the benefits of ADV bikes and ADV training. I picked up US-2 in MI and rode it to the Pacific. Weather is hard on the roads and construction crews work diligently through the summer to fix them. I was in Montana heading toward Shelby, not a vehicle for miles, having one of those zen like moments connecting with nature, my bike and all of a sudden — a construction stop light. Gradually vehicles started cuing behind me and after a 35 minute wait we were to follow the road construction pilot vehicle. They had completely removed 3 to 4 miles of the road leaving only sand and loose gravel. I remembered my RawHyde training, stood on the pegs and made my way through without incident or embarrassment.

The following morning as I was getting gas, I talked to a fellow who worked on the crew. Seeing my bike he told me that there were close to a dozen Harley’s that went down (he used the word “carnage”) trying to ride through the same unpaved sections I went through only hours earlier.

Did I feel like a rock star? Yes I did.
GrayBeard likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2019, 09:16 AM (636)

You are doing want lots of folks spend a lifetime sitting on their couch dreaming about doing. Way to go and keep it up.
Crabtown likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2019, 10:47 AM (699)

Love this thread.

My 2019 firsts:
July: Bought 2007 R1200GSA. (first bike in 20 years)
August: Completed 36,000 mile service and swingarm boot replacements. (first time ever)
Aug/Sept: 1700 mile trip through IA, MN, WI and MI to Lake Superior Upper Peninsula of MI and back. (first overnight bike trip and all the gear to do it).

Agree with the comment on getting off couch and just doing it.

Some videos from my trip (first time with GoPro and on YouTube 😀 ) https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCVIPYTW_MxZNRiCm5wBVxbg
Crabtown likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode