I am about to remove crash bars for painting - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2016, 08:50 AM (577) Thread Starter
'05 R 1200 Gs

I am about to remove crash bars for painting

Dilemma with the fasteners. On the bottom side there are 2 large bolts that seem to tie into the frame and possibly fasten to the crankcase. Is it catastrophic if I pull these bolts? Will the engine drop?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2016, 11:04 AM (669) Thread Starter
'05 R 1200 Gs

Just went ahead and in the process answered my own question. My "crash cage is 3 pieces. Left, right and center. Took one side off at a time and reinserted the hanger bolt that attaches lower crankcase housing to the frame. Then did the other side and reinserted bolt. Now to refurb the finish on the cage since they have a few battle scars and surface rust. Making up my mind whether to finish them in metalflake grey/silver (leftover base coat/clear coat) or black matte with topcoat clear.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2016, 12:04 PM (711)

Are you going to post some before and after pics?

2015 R1200GS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2016, 07:59 AM (541)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Just went ahead and in the process answered my own question. My "crash cage is 3 pieces. Left, right and center. Took one side off at a time and reinserted the hanger bolt that attaches lower crankcase housing to the frame. Then did the other side and reinserted bolt. Now to refurb the finish on the cage since they have a few battle scars and surface rust. Making up my mind whether to finish them in metalflake grey/silver (leftover base coat/clear coat) or black matte with topcoat clear.
Just curious...why not powder coat for durability?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-Jun-2016, 02:47 AM (324)

I unbolted both sides of my hepco and becker crash bars at once, Didn`t realise until assembly time that yes the engine had dropped a few mm! Just jacked up the motor until it all lined up again and all seems ok.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-Jun-2016, 02:45 PM (823) Thread Starter
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBob View Post
Are you going to post some before and after pics?
Too late for the before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
Just curious...why not powder coat for durability?
Cost is a factor along with the enjoyment of the project. I do my own paint work and have been for many years. Been restoring classic and muscle cars for about 30 years, and painted them all myself. Painting bikes and parts is fun. If it was for durability only I would use POR 15 paint, but this is a cosmetic upgrade. My bike and accessories are circa 2005 - 06. The bars were bland grey/white. After finishing the stripping and weld filling the dents and large nicks I primed with 2K Polyurethane primer. Today I picked up single stage black matte paint @ Finishmasters. I want to match the current BMW color scheme that is used on the frames. Painted the 3 pieces and am extremely disappointed. The custom blend matte finish set up glossy. Definitely not the look I want and qasked for. Back to the supplier tomorrow for a replacement batch ( free ) and this time I will have flattening agent mixed in.

Thanks for the interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode