Let's Talk Engine Oil - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2016, 12:49 PM (742)
GS (and DR)

As long as this subject has drifted from it's original topic let me add this story:

A friend has been riding beemers since the /2 days. The oil change interval for that bike was 1200 miles but most stretched it out to 1500. To this day he still changes oil every 1500 miles even though he now (mostly) rides an RT. When asked why he mentions that he's never had an oil related failure. He is deaf to comments that those who change at 6K miles also don't have oil related failures.

People do what they want to do. I'm sure I have some idiosyncrasies, too
Jay and JetSpeed like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2016, 02:02 PM (793)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
BMW-MOA oil offer

Guys,

If I may be allowed to digress, have any of you tried the "Buy 3 get 1 free liter" program offered to MOA mebers via the BMW dealerships?

The reason I ask is that not all dealers are participating.

Thanks,

Mark
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2016, 04:00 PM (875)
Naviator

Garage
The MOA "Buy 3 get 1 free liter" special is only a good deal for those that use the BMW Advantec oil, I think that most owners who do their own maintenance use other brands.
I use (I don't endorse its use though) Shell Rotella T6 that I buy for less than $20 per gallon shipped to my door, the BMW Advantec oil is $15-20 a liter at the dealer which is a bit pricey even after getting one for free.

2013 R1200GSW

post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2016, 04:25 PM (892)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
As long as this subject has drifted from it's original topic let me add this story:

A friend has been riding beemers since the /2 days. The oil change interval for that bike was 1200 miles but most stretched it out to 1500. To this day he still changes oil every 1500 miles even though he now (mostly) rides an RT. When asked why he mentions that he's never had an oil related failure. He is deaf to comments that those who change at 6K miles also don't have oil related failures.

People do what they want to do. I'm sure I have some idiosyncrasies, too
It is an interesting discussion and many people may not realize that old BMW /2 (slash 2) back in the 50's and 60's from the R50 to the R69 held about 2 quarts of engine oil, had no oil filter and required service every 1,000-1,500 miles, they did have kind of a quasi filter called a slinger that required cleaning every so often but it was a difficult job that typically required removing the engine and special tools.
Engine oil performance and quality back in those days was also abysmal.
I can certainly see why your friend is the way he is.
Jay and Sed8r like this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2016, 08:15 PM (052)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Every 5000 km for me

I am on my 4th GS, and i have always changed my oil at half of the recommended intervals. I do an oil filter and fresh oil every 5000 km.

I run a 15W50 semi synthetic, from Gulf Western in Sydney, and never have to top up between changes.

I do this simply because it cost me about AUS$35 all up. I buy my oil direct from the wholesaler at 20 litres for AUS$77 delivered.
Gotta be the cheapest preventative maintenance you can do for your engine.

That applies to all my engines. Half the manufactures recommendation.

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 83000 km and going as good as new.

Last edited by gdayjr; 16-Aug-2016 at 08:17 PM (054).
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2016, 11:19 PM (180)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayjr View Post
I am on my 4th GS, and i have always changed my oil at half of the recommended intervals. I do an oil filter and fresh oil every 5000 km.

I run a 15W50 semi synthetic, from Gulf Western in Sydney, and never have to top up between changes.

I do this simply because it cost me about AUS$35 all up. I buy my oil direct from the wholesaler at 20 litres for AUS$77 delivered.
Gotta be the cheapest preventative maintenance you can do for your engine.

That applies to all my engines. Half the manufactures recommendation.
Exactly, it's easy and cheap enough so I change at half the recommended interval too.
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 17-Aug-2016, 06:51 AM (494)
Naviator

Garage
I had not realized that there were many who preferred to change the oil at half intervals, me and most of the guys I ride with would much rather oil change interval were extended as it never fails that you need to stop for an oil change midway during the course of a long trip.

I can complete an oil change for about $30 ($20 for a gallon of Rotella T6 and $10 for a Hiflo HF160 filter) but the oil usually still looks very clean at around 3,000 miles, in fact I think I have about 2,900 on the oil in my bike now I'll post a photo when I'm able.
I'm not preaching against changing the oil sooner than recommended but I do wonder if it does any good or even more harm than good as new oil filters take a second or two to refill on initial start-up after being changed, I always cringe when hitting the start button after an oil change knowing that I have zero oil pressure until the filter fills.

2013 R1200GSW

Last edited by JetSpeed; 17-Aug-2016 at 09:41 AM (611).
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 17-Aug-2016, 07:18 AM (512)

Garage
Luv the T6 oil,I use it in my Zuk..just running Dino oil in my 07 dry clutch..been advised by many to stick with it it saying it works better and lasts the full cycle...I've changed it twice this summer at 5000 kms
With no top ups necesary..I was tempted to drop the T6 into the GS last change,but not clear if the wet clutch compatible oils would make any difference in my dry clutch 07.. It's only a couple bux more

Thoughts ?
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 17-Aug-2016, 07:40 AM (528)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
Luv the T6 oil,I use it in my Zuk..just running Dino oil in my 07 dry clutch..been advised by many to stick with it it saying it works better and lasts the full cycle...I've changed it twice this summer at 5000 kms
With no top ups necesary..I was tempted to drop the T6 into the GS last change,but not clear if the wet clutch compatible oils would make any difference in my dry clutch 07.. It's only a couple bux more

Thoughts ?
Oils that are suitable for wet-clutch motorcycles can be used in dry-clutch bikes without any problem.
BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 6,000 miles (10,000 km) to allow for proper engine break-in.
I ran Mobil-1 15W-50 in my hexhead with great results, I know people that run T6 in their hexheads as well with no complaints.

2013 R1200GSW
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 17-Aug-2016, 09:39 AM (610)

I am an irregular changer of my oil. Often I will start on a trip with fresh oil and will wait till I get home before changing it which can be 8 or even 10K miles. I hate paying $250 for a change as much as laying in a parking lot doing a change. Have always done it this way with my BMW bikes, (I'm on #5) and never had an engine issue, I also keep my bikes till they hit 100K miles. I can't say the same when I put synthetic into my then new "74 Volvo.
JetSpeed likes this.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode