LED Install using ezCan - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2017, 06:35 PM (024) Thread Starter

Garage
LED Install using ezCan

Anyone out there install auxilary lights using the HEX ezCan?

I have a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro LED's. Got an ezCan on the way. Everything on YouTube says plug and play. What I don't see is how the lights plug into the ezCan. Maybe you plug the lights into some connector in the wiring harness??? Maybe you need a cable between the lights and ezCan. Don't see anything that describes how this connection is made. r1200gs lc 2016

Thanks for any assistance.

Rod

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.

Last edited by OldButNotDead; 12-Feb-2017 at 07:16 PM (053).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2017, 07:19 PM (055)

Garage
I'm not the expert and I'm only speaking from how the Clearwater lights are connected. The control for the Clearwater lights plugs into the Canbus at the tyre pressure monitor. I am under the impression that there are multiple Canbus access points. Your access will be dependant on the type of plug on the ezCan.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 13-Feb-2017, 05:14 AM (468)

Garage
Maintenance and Modifications

OBND, it looks to me like you're going to have to run wires from your auxiliary lights to the ezCan. They supply the connectors to splice into the lights:

Looks pretty straightforward.

Mike
OldButNotDead likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 13-Feb-2017, 05:20 AM (472)

The EzCan will come with 4 color coded wiring leads with bare wire ends on one end and a water tight connector on the other. The bare wire ends will attach to the +/- of your lights. Look again at the diagrams / pictures in this link: Home - www.hexezcan.com You'll see the leads here.

It really is plug and play. No wires to cut, or splice at all. Simply connect the your light's +/- leads to the appropriate bare wire color coded ones on the supplied EzCan wiring leads, then plug the associated water tight connector into the same color coded water tight connector from the EzCan.

Once you get the EzCan I think you'll get a better picture of what needs to be done. If you need help once you have everything ready to install, PM me.
mikec and OldButNotDead like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 13-Feb-2017, 05:34 AM (482) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys.
That is what I thought you had to do. That pic was great, one look and I had it totally figured out. Just wanted to make sure I had not overlooked something.
Rod

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-Feb-2017, 04:02 AM (418) Thread Starter

Garage
It's in. Be careful, don't be stupid like I was. There is another box where they show the RDC in videos. On mine it is pushed further to the rear.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 12:36 PM (733)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Ez can can

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
It's in. Be careful, don't be stupid like I was. There is another box where they show the RDC in videos. On mine it is pushed further to the rear.
I removed my Clearwater lights and flashing brake assy off of the RS when I traded it in on the new GS Exclusive and decided that rather than use the system Clearwater supplied which does in fact require some splicing, that I would purchase the HEX EZ CAN bus unit to install my lighting on the new bike. I like it because there is ZERO splicing required of the existing wiring on the bike itself. Yes you splice the light wires to the new connectors but not to any wiring on the bike so when it comes time to trade next time you don't have any issues to leave on the bike that might give problems for the next guy.

That said. I have watched all the videos and my 17+ model has a slightly different placement of the components in the aft section . I plan to remove the entire assembly to make it easier to run all the wires cleaner to the EZ can then tuck them all as neat as possible out of the way . I was shocked to learn the entire tail assembly with grab handles seat mechanism etc is all resin and not cast aluminum , No wonder these new babies are lighter weight. LOL

cheers
Houdini likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2017, 02:09 PM (839)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
I removed my Clearwater lights and flashing brake assy off of the RS when I traded it in on the new GS Exclusive and decided that rather than use the system Clearwater supplied which does in fact require some splicing, that I would purchase the HEX EZ CAN bus unit to install my lighting on the new bike. I like it because there is ZERO splicing required of the existing wiring on the bike itself. Yes you splice the light wires to the new connectors but not to any wiring on the bike so when it comes time to trade next time you don't have any issues to leave on the bike that might give problems for the next guy.

That said. I have watched all the videos and my 17+ model has a slightly different placement of the components in the aft section . I plan to remove the entire assembly to make it easier to run all the wires cleaner to the EZ can then tuck them all as neat as possible out of the way . I was shocked to learn the entire tail assembly with grab handles seat mechanism etc is all resin and not cast aluminum , No wonder these new babies are lighter weight. LOL

cheers
What light switch are you guys using with the EZCan setup? I've seen that you can control them through the wheel or high-beam switch. I was wondering if I could install the factory aux light switch and control them through EzCan using the factory switch. Possible?

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2017, 04:07 PM (921)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcruzr View Post
What light switch are you guys using with the EZCan setup? I've seen that you can control them through the wheel or high-beam switch. I was wondering if I could install the factory aux light switch and control them through EzCan using the factory switch. Possible?
I decided not to use the EZ Can and just installed the Clearwater complete. Figured why add another 160 bucks to an already expensive set up and not be able to dim the lights using the wheel. Once I decided that I just went with the pre programmed set up the comes with the Darlas and the Billy brake kit.

That said the on off switch is all done utilizing the already on switch gear. To turn off you use the turn signal neutral switch position with the sequence prescribed by the text in the instructions as well as use that switch and hold for 20 seconds then rotate the wheel in 10% intervals until the desired brightness is set for both dim and bright lights which of course is controlled by the existing dim/bright switch on the bike.

All in it is a simple system and the only thing it lacks is an extra power source for additional programmable accessories. I can live with that .... If I were starting from scratch I might consider the EZCan method and perhaps a less expensive light product. As it is I absolutely love the Clearwaters and spreading the cost over two new bikes in one year I feel pretty good about retaining them . Their performance has been flawless in the five K miles I have put on the GS already and at night I no longer have ANY difficulty seeing. I should mention , though I do have the LED light package that comes with the bike. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Bear in mind there is a third Can bus switch assembly that works with BMW and is sold to use with the SW Motech products and PIAA lighting systems so the tech is becoming competitive and can only help bring the cost of these expensive lights down going forwards.
mikec and Lowcruzr like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2017, 11:29 AM (728)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
I decided not to use the EZ Can and just installed the Clearwater complete. Figured why add another 160 bucks to an already expensive set up and not be able to dim the lights using the wheel. Once I decided that I just went with the pre programmed set up the comes with the Darlas and the Billy brake kit.

That said the on off switch is all done utilizing the already on switch gear. To turn off you use the turn signal neutral switch position with the sequence prescribed by the text in the instructions as well as use that switch and hold for 20 seconds then rotate the wheel in 10% intervals until the desired brightness is set for both dim and bright lights which of course is controlled by the existing dim/bright switch on the bike.

All in it is a simple system and the only thing it lacks is an extra power source for additional programmable accessories. I can live with that .... If I were starting from scratch I might consider the EZCan method and perhaps a less expensive light product. As it is I absolutely love the Clearwaters and spreading the cost over two new bikes in one year I feel pretty good about retaining them . Their performance has been flawless in the five K miles I have put on the GS already and at night I no longer have ANY difficulty seeing. I should mention , though I do have the LED light package that comes with the bike. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Bear in mind there is a third Can bus switch assembly that works with BMW and is sold to use with the SW Motech products and PIAA lighting systems so the tech is becoming competitive and can only help bring the cost of these expensive lights down going forwards.
Thanks for the info, Stixx!

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode