Made my own radiator guards - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2018, 09:46 AM (615) Thread Starter

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Looks great!! But how well will it stand up to a serious rock strike?
I don't do a lot of off road, but I do find myself there sometimes, eg Meat Cove, Mt Washington, and if something is seriously rocky, two things: I am not there, and if there, I am not going fast enough for a significantly ballistic strike, any more so than gravelly paved backroads.

But, to answer your question...I thought about that before install, and I thought that no matter how rock proof any grill may be, God will always find a way to make a sharp rock better than any grill. In the meantime, just an extra layer helps by the quarter inch holes in the grill, and because it is a bit away from the fins, it will "give" a smidge when struck, diverting and lessening the angle of attack, dissipating the impact force of any stone by spreading it out over a much wider area thus allowing the radiator itself protection. As I said, there is over 10k miles now on the grills and they seem to have worked perfectly thusfar--no dents in them, no rocks of pebbles embedded, no affect whatsoever on engine cooling.

Living in the deep south, I was very concerned about engine heat management and many of the grills really cover a LOT of the business end of the radiator. They have to inhibit airflow and thus cooling, it's physics: no airflow, no cooling, IOW no radiator. That was as important to me as the rocks thing. And there was the cost thing. The site linked has many styles of grill material, some much more occlusive than others, but all relatively cheap.

Admittedly, some people just feel more comfy with "Alt-Rider" or "Touratech" or "EBAY" written on farkles and mods, and some just don't trust themselves to fab something. And that's fine--we're all in the same club, but for me, and many other BMW riders, esp the GS flavor, I like to tinker and really like to save $$$$. Many like to dig in to the guts of the bike, and many don't.

In truth, I think my design is better than those cut out sheets of aluminum with fancy laser guided cuts, displaying someone's logo. What it may lack in strength compared to sheet metal, it makes up for in allowing cooling, and by design, it appears to be strong enough.

Obs, ymmv. IN a way seeing these mods makes me think about their importance, and how to make one myself, if I choose. As Richard Powers has twisted the phrase: Invention is the mother of necessity.

John
dkgruv123 and Banzairf like this.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 16-Jun-2018 at 03:04 PM (836).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2018, 10:10 AM (632)

A note to Virkdoc: I have read that the radiator guards on the GS are not interchangeable with the GSA. Just sayin'...
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2018, 11:24 AM (683)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
A note to Virkdoc: I have read that the radiator guards on the GS are not interchangeable with the GSA. Just sayin'...
Judgedelta I saw a post here how someone has modified em to fit GSA......so thats why was asking....they are cheap, plastic and should be a good investment

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2018, 11:26 AM (684)

Garage
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2018, 01:48 PM (783)

Garage
Double it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Looks great!! But how well will it stand up to a serious rock strike?
Each section of octogonal cell of the grill from custom car (the distributor) is not made from a round wire mesh: the material is a 1mm X 1mm square flat. You can compare this to a solid beam. For this reason, the octogonal assembly of each cell make the whole thing a more rigid structure.

Another thing to consider is at the moment of the impact, because the structure is a grid, you will have an instant reaction much more the way de D3O react: the structure bend a lot with slow pressure, but is rigid when the force is applied instantly.

One thing you can do is to double the grill. Both directly aligned, or with a little offset one from each other: this way you will have a very good protection (but less airflow with offset ... ).

Renald, Montreal, Canada / current 2016 R1200GS Triple Black +Upgrade=Pivot pegs; Denali minisoundbomb; OEM light protection; OEM 2 level brake; Homemade radiator protection.
Past: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650, 1999 Honda VFR750, 19?? Honda Highthawk 650, 1982 Kawasaki KZ440, 1988 Yamaha Virago 535, 1977 Yamaha Chappy 49cc (lol)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2018, 03:59 AM (374)

Grill guards..imho..should not be using the radiator as back support but should be spaced away from the front face of the radiator far enough that any impact will not damage or deform the rather fragil cooling surface area and especially the circulatory piping within.. ‘Ideally’ the grill guard should take the full brunt of an impact with no disturbance to the radiator behind it...

Again these homemade grill guards look great and well thought out but I’d like to add just my humble thoughts..

Last edited by Clay; 11-Apr-2018 at 04:18 AM (387).
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2018, 05:00 PM (916) Thread Starter

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Clay, what you are saying is true, but...

In order to get a snugger fit, I cut an inch or so of aquarium tubing and slipped it on the bottom edges of the grill material. This, along with the way they naturally seat, does give a space between the grill and the fins, so force will not be immediately transferred from grill to fin, it is dissipated radially outward. I didn't think about the hexagon being a naturally strong design, but it's found in nature a lot, a form that gives structure to lightweight things. I just liked the way it looked, understated and functional, it looks OEM, I think.

It take significant "finger" pressure to push the grill fin-ward at all--much more than a little--and even with that it does not touch the fins. I didn't think it would be so resistant to pressure. I measured the distance and it is about 3mm from ext grill to fin, but with the finger pressure I used I did not get the grill to touch the fins. I was satisfied I was pushing hard enough.

It would not be immune to a metal rod being jammed at speed into the radiator, but for rocks I think it will work fine as it has for thousands of miles.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2018, 06:29 PM (978)

Garage
I found this at my local Home Depot, it's a gutter guard that's galvanized and coated black, pretty sure it will work great with little customizing, I will post pictures of the final results ...
Attached Images

Seca 750 = Gone
VMax = gone
2008 R1200rt
2017 R1200gs
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2018, 06:40 PM (986)

Garage
Cut to size 6" x 8 1/4" ( it comes 6" x 36" )
Attached Images

Seca 750 = Gone
VMax = gone
2008 R1200rt
2017 R1200gs
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2018, 08:28 AM (561)

Garage
The end results, they look good, will serve their purpose, I don't think it will cause an issue with air flow what so ever and it only cost $ 2.98 ( the tubing I had laying around ) and I have enough gutter guard to make another set if needed ...thanks to Dr.Strangelove for getting the thought progress going ..
Attached Images

Last edited by Rapala50; 17-Apr-2018 at 08:37 AM (567).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode