R1200GS LC Engine Tick Solved - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2017, 08:53 PM (078) Thread Starter

Smile R1200GS LC Engine Tick Solved

Hi There, Just back from my local dealer here in Australia and Oh Joy Joy Joy. My bike has had the dreaded decompressor tick in the RH cam cover since new. Ive complained many times about the issue and BMW response has always been a fix is on the way. Its now 2 1/2 years old and BMW finally has the fix... new design exhaust cams and decompressor. They are replacing my exhaust cams next week all covered under warranty even though the bike is 6 months out of warranty. If your bike has the dreaded tick best make some noise and join the queue for new cams.
Cheers
JetSpeed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2017, 10:43 PM (155)

Garage
Because the GS LC has inherently noisy valves, I have suspect that it is the cam profile that is to blame.
Perhaps the new cams will be ground with a wider profile and less lift, or perhaps a quietening ramp on the lift side.
Please report on the results.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2017, 12:36 AM (233) Thread Starter

Ahh yeah well the valves are I guess inherently noisy but I think no noisier than the R80 I used to own. I do like to run a slightly thicker oil to lessen the noises. The problem I had was with the centrifugal decompressor which forms part of the exhaust cam. If you take the cover off and play with it its quite easy to simulate the click. The whole assembly is very loose and when the idle dies the decompressor gives the inherent click heard in many of the early water cooled engines. Its an intermittent click at idle , engine hot , when the idle dies. These engines have a less than smooth idle which I would love to tune out.
Funny I hear some people say just wear ear plugs and ignore it. Well I sure as hell can't do that .... unusual noises drive me nuts.
Houdini and BMW like this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 23-Jun-2017, 03:49 AM (367)

My 2014 LC had that right hand tick from new. Quite loud and often commented on. The dealers couldn't solve it despite a thorough inspection. The right hand exhaust cam was replaced by BMW at their cost at its 40,000 km service and the problem is completely fixed. Nothing to do with cam profiles. It is the decompressor mechanism and this is what is modified on the new cam. It won't show if the bike has a smooth idle, but would do if the bike wasn't idling smoothly.

I had a look at the old cam and it was easy to reproduce the noise. A good result. Thanks BMW New Zealand.

Last edited by Kewwig; 23-Jun-2017 at 03:50 AM (368). Reason: Typo
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 23-Jun-2017, 09:51 AM (618)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
help me out here...

are y'all referring to the "they all do that" metallic sorta rattling noise that comes from the engine, I think on the right side, most noticeable at the end of a ride, esp in a closed space like a garage? A sound like a screwdriver tapping irregularly (sometimes with vigor) on the right side jug?

That can be made to disappear completely?

If so, This is something that BMW shops know about and can "fix" under warranty?

What are the "code words" to tell the service dept? And, wow, thanks!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 24-Jun-2017, 12:57 AM (248) Thread Starter

Its not a continuous rattling sound. More of a loud intermittent click from the RH decompressor as idle dies. The idle is not smooth on engines with light flywheel ... typically the early models of LC.
Attached is a recording I made in the early days of complaining to BMW.
Oops ... won't let me upload a wmv file ... O well .... cheers
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 27-Jun-2017, 11:37 PM (192)
Jay
Distance Adventure Rider

Garage
Post you notice noise more with a shortie helmet

Hmm well out of warranty with 70K but have documentation that warranty items surfaced at 5,000 mi. While in S America they refused to use S American parts different from US parts to fix and my dealer in Hollywood forgot to order parts then went out of business.

Hope other BMW dealers cover me so I don't have to sue BMW international.

'14 GSW Rode EVERY US state.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Every country in Americas but 3. Every state in Brasil but 1. Ushuaia to Deadhorse. F650 Dakar burned/melted 4-30-14 with home.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bought '14 GSW to continue adventures.
Rode through S. America & back twice so far.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-Jun-2017, 08:14 AM (551)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hmm well out of warranty with 70K but have documentation that warranty items surfaced at 5,000 mi. While in S America they refused to use S American parts different from US parts to fix and my dealer in Hollywood forgot to order parts then went out of business.

Hope other BMW dealers cover me so I don't have to sue BMW international.
I realize that you're tongue in cheek but I have filed a small claim on two occasions against companies that I felt slighted me, one a cell phone company the other a hotel and both times the companies got in contact with me and resolved the problem long before the court dates even though up until I filed they weren't willing to do anything.

2013 R1200GSW
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2017, 01:33 PM (773)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jota View Post
Hi There, Just back from my local dealer here in Australia and Oh Joy Joy Joy. My bike has had the dreaded decompressor tick in the RH cam cover since new. Ive complained many times about the issue and BMW response has always been a fix is on the way. Its now 2 1/2 years old and BMW finally has the fix... new design exhaust cams and decompressor. They are replacing my exhaust cams next week all covered under warranty even though the bike is 6 months out of warranty. If your bike has the dreaded tick best make some noise and join the queue for new cams.
Cheers
Can you get this sound on either side of the engine or just the right side. I have this sound on the left side of my 2015 gsa. BMW technician said it was the throttle body which "were always noisy on the left on gs's and not to worry about it". I only get this when engine is hot.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2017, 03:58 PM (874)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Richard View Post
Can you get this sound on either side of the engine or just the right side. I have this sound on the left side of my 2015 gsa. BMW technician said it was the throttle body which "were always noisy on the left on gs's and not to worry about it". I only get this when engine is hot.
I also get an intermittent ping-click on RHS at idle when the engine is hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode