Proper Brake Bleed Procedure Using GS911 on 2014 1200 GSW - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 09:22 AM (598) Thread Starter

Proper Brake Bleed Procedure Using GS911 on 2014 1200 GSW

I'm preparing to flush the brake fluid on my 2014 1200 GSW.
I have a Hex GS911 but have not been able to find the proper flush sequence (including the abs unit) anywhere for a 1200 GS wethead.
Do I need to flush the abs (with GS911) while bleeding the rear calipers, and then again while bleeding the front calipers.
I'm installing Brake Bleeders to make this a one man operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 10:10 AM (632)
Naviator

Garage
Bleeding the brakes on a new Liquid Cooled GS is an extremely easy one man operation as it is.
I would discourage the use of Speedbleeders, they are very easy to snap off if even slightly over-tightened and are completely unnecessary.
You can find the procedure on the HEX Code website for using the GS911, it is the same as for the previous model GS's back to 2007 (iabs2can). https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/g...dures/iabs2can

you can easily reach both front calipers while activating the front brake lever so no problem here, to reach the rear caliper and apply the rear brakes you can either sit facing forward on the ground straddling the rear wheel or place the bike on its center-stand and sit backwards on the seat and reach over applying the brake with your left hand and manipulating the bleed screw with your right.
Just make sure to watch the brake fluid level and keep it it up.
XICAQUE likes this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 02:42 PM (821) Thread Starter

Thanks Jet

The info on the hexcode site is not very clear....to me anyway.
What I'm thinking is:
Empty and fill Front Reservoir..bleed right front caliper....1st flush of abs with GS911...Do another manual flush of R front caliper
Empty and fill Front Reservoir..bleed left front caliper.....2nd flush of abs with GS911....Do another manual flush of L front caliper
Empty and fill Rear Reservoir..bleed Rear caliper.....3rd flush of abs with GS911..Do another manual flush of Rear caliper.

Is this correct???

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 04:08 PM (880)
Naviator

Garage
That is pretty much correct except that you can flush and bleed both the front calipers without doing right then left.
Don't overthink this, it is real easy.
And if you want to do a real thorough job block each caliper full open with some wood before bleeding it.
Houdini and XICAQUE like this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 05:13 PM (926)

Garage
I bled my brakes (2013 LC) without issue and without using the GS-911. Whilst the GS-911 does the job, it makes the task no easier. They are as simple to manually bleed as the most primitive hydraulic brake system. As Jetspeed said, it's a one person job.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 05:15 PM (927)
Survivor

Garage
How about this:

Bleed brakes the traditional way, front and rear.
Go to a controlled environment and practice emergency braking.
Engage ABS front and rear.
If you are super anal, then bleed brakes again.
Now you have increased confidence in your braking ability and well bled brakes.
JetSpeed and XICAQUE like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2017, 07:54 PM (037)

Wethead Brake Bleed

When I did my brakes this past spring using the GS911, the GS911 makes it look like using it ensures that the abs module is getting fresh fluid. The GS911 tells the system to flush fluid through the module. That was my take. I bought the GS911 back when I got by '13 wethead because it really chaffed me that I couldn't reset the service reminder without going to the dealer and paying about
$40 for that to be done. It won't take too many years to recoup the cost of the GS911 on that basis alone. Being able to do other tasks like brake fluid change is a bonus!

Jim
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2017, 09:36 PM (108)

Once is all it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpel View Post
When I did my brakes this past spring using the GS911, the GS911 makes it look like using it ensures that the abs module is getting fresh fluid. The GS911 tells the system to flush fluid through the module. That was my take. I bought the GS911 back when I got by '13 wethead because it really chaffed me that I couldn't reset the service reminder without going to the dealer and paying about
$40 for that to be done. It won't take too many years to recoup the cost of the GS911 on that basis alone. Being able to do other tasks like brake fluid change is a bonus!

Jim
All it takes is one time on the road with a fault that stops you dead and it takes a tow to the closest dealer to clear the fault. Happened to me and two days waisted is worth the cost of a GS911!
JetSpeed likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-Oct-2017, 11:26 AM (685)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
What Pterodactyl said!

So in essence the GS911 will allow you to cycle the ABS pump and introduce new fluid in to it. If you are OCD, then yes flush the system again in order to remove the minute amount of old DOT 4 fluid.

Another user (Ray) made a homemade video of the procedure, here's the link:

https://youtu.be/hBE_vDjj4Zs

Ride safe.
XICAQUE likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 25-Oct-2017, 10:18 AM (637)
Naviator

Garage
If you own a GS-911 use it when bleeding the brakes, it does get the few ounces of brake fluid out of the ABS module, and than keep it on-board in one of your cases.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode