GS overheating - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-Sep-2011, 03:38 PM (860) Thread Starter

Question GS overheating

Hey everyone. I Just did my first real road trip on my GS that I have owned for about a month now. It is a 2006 R1200GS with now 11K on it. When i purchased the BMW dealer has had all services done. When I hit traffic on 95 in south Carolina and again in Savannah Georgia I noticed the temp gauge would rise within about 5 minutes. Is this that common. is there a fix like a bigger oil cooler or add another oil cooler? Has anyone come up with anything or is this something i should get used too?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-Sep-2011, 04:06 PM (879)
GS (and DR)

There is a difference between "temperature gauge rise" and "overheat". Is the bike overheating or do you just not like that the gauge reads high?

Hint: If you did not have a flashing red general warning indicator along with the the temperature bar flashing your bike was not overheating. Check out page 20 of your Rider's Manual.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-Sep-2011, 04:48 PM (908) Thread Starter

manual is in the mail dealer ordered me a new one, since they lost the original. But no I did not have any lights flashing just gauge rising high.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-Sep-2011, 09:08 PM (088)

I'd be very surprised if she's overheating Steve. She is an air-cooled beastie so you can expect a bit of movement depending on revs, ambient temperature, head/tail wind etc. How many bars are you seeing on the dash? I also believe that there is a temperature sensor that shuts the motor down if it overheats but I am not 100% sure that it applies to the 2006 model.

The biggest problem you bike seems to have is that it hasn't been used enough! 11,000 miles in 5 years - probably just needs the cobwebs blown out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-Sep-2011, 09:51 PM (119)
GS (and DR)

PDF of manual is available from BMW at this link.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2011, 08:31 AM (563) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennif View Post
I'd be very surprised if she's overheating Steve. She is an air-cooled beastie so you can expect a bit of movement depending on revs, ambient temperature, head/tail wind etc. How many bars are you seeing on the dash? I also believe that there is a temperature sensor that shuts the motor down if it overheats but I am not 100% sure that it applies to the 2006 model.

The biggest problem you bike seems to have is that it hasn't been used enough! 11,000 miles in 5 years - probably just needs the cobwebs blown out.

yea shes hasn't seen much use but hopefully i can change that. The temp gauge normally sits in the middle. at most stop lights it is fine just when i hit traffic and no real movement is when the gauge will rise to the top mark. But while I'm home and before I take a next big trip I wanna fix or take care of anything now before I get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Marc sent me a link for an online manual so i will be reading that today.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2011, 08:27 PM (060)

If its going all the way to the top then something is wrong Ive ridden my bike in Death Valley and the gauge never went that high

either faulty gauge or bike is def overheating get to the bottom of this asap

if you are not under warranty it could get costly
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-Sep-2011, 01:06 PM (754)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiplu View Post
If its going all the way to the top then something is wrong Ive ridden my bike in Death Valley and the gauge never went that high

either faulty gauge or bike is def overheating get to the bottom of this asap

if you are not under warranty it could get costly
Yes I agree. The gauge going right to the top indicates that something is not right. Hopefully a faulty gauge. But yes definitely worth getting sorted. Then deal to those cobwebs!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-Sep-2011, 02:35 PM (816)

Thanks for Manual Link

Thank you muchly for that link to the BMW Manual site.
Very welcome as my recent purchase came without a Manual or any history.
Cheers, David R
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-Sep-2011, 05:42 PM (945) Thread Starter

spoke with the dealer..

spoke with the dealer today. Told me not to worry. They said that it is normal for the temp gauge to rise as it did but it has a oil temp safety switch that will put the bike in limp mode to prevent overheating and damaging the engine. As he mentioned multiple times the engines are very strong and if the police can't kill them with there constant stop and go and sitting on the side of the highway then i couldn't either. ( local and state PD here ride the new 1200RT's). He also mentioned that if the light does come on pull over to just wait and sit out traffic till it clears. which well that could be hours. Id rather explore some power line trails instead to keep the air moving across the bike. Well that's what the dealer said, anyone been told the same or is it bs and they don't know what to do? They seemed to be very confident about it and that the bike protects itself and not to worry..

As for the cob webs I'm getting there. just don't wanna get towed back home..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode