Clutch fluid/oil change.... - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Pterodactyl
  • 1 Post By Clay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 01:10 PM (756) Thread Starter

Clutch fluid/oil change....

Question regarding 2015 GS:
Is the clutch oil/fluid supposed to be changed at some interval? I haven't found anything indicating such (yet). Assuming it needs to be changed, are we just talking about the actuating fluid in the reservoir for the clutch lever? What sort of fluid is to be used? Is there a way to bleed that system similar to bleeding the brakes?

Apologies now for my ignorance on this aspect of the bike's maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 02:12 PM (800)

Water boxer clutch used mineral oil and doesn't absorb water like brake fluid. I've never seen anything on changing clutch fluid.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 02:19 PM (805)
Naviator

Garage
Like BMWBOB says the clutch actuator system uses mineral oil and there is no recommended change interval by BMW.
I will add though to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, my 2013 had a very, very slight seep at the fitting coming out of the reservoir and by the time I discovered it the reservoir was nearly dry and there was almost no visible oil around the area.

2013 R1200GSW

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 04:38 PM (901)
Survivor

Garage
It will be a very good decision to invest in the BMW service manual. they come on CD/ROM and will answer all your maintenance questions. At the very least get a Haynes repair manual, and better yet get both. You will be very happy if you do.
ExHarley Rider and JetSpeed like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-Mar-2018, 06:27 AM (477)

Dealer service manager and another independent mechanic told me that there are basically only 2 reasons to change the hydraulic clutch fluid: 1) the clutch needs to be repaired and its a good idea while its open. 2) As JetSpeed mentioned, there is a leak/seep or other loss of fluid. There is no regular or scheduled maintenance necessary.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-Mar-2018, 07:09 AM (506) Thread Starter

Thanks, guys, and yes, I have the repair manuals, which is what lead me to ask the question because I didn't see anything in there indicating the fluid should be changed. So, in light of that, and given your good responses, I'll just open the reservoir periodically and make sure it's still full of mineral oil. Again, thanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-Mar-2018, 09:15 AM (594)

That is interesting..there is no viewable sight glass on the clutch reservoir, on these current WC versions, instead by opening the top plate thus leading to possible contamination though it is mineral oil based...
Weir1200GS likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2019, 09:34 PM (107)
OKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Like BMWBOB says the clutch actuator system uses mineral oil and there is no recommended change interval by BMW.
I will add though to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, my 2013 had a very, very slight seep at the fitting coming out of the reservoir and by the time I discovered it the reservoir was nearly dry and there was almost no visible oil around the area.
what type pf mineral oil can be used......any BMW spec or recommendation
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-Apr-2019, 11:08 AM (672)
GS (and DR)

BMW used to use a Magura product -- Magura Blue Blood. Don't know if that is what they are using on current bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in