Heat on right side - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 17-Aug-2018, 10:32 AM (647)

Finally others are mentioning the excessive heat coming off the right side off 2017 GSA. Very uncomfortable when just wearing jeans or if I go casual low top tennis shoes with low cut socks. I find that my right ankle's very uncomfortable to the point of toasting. This is not only during 100+ degrees in the summertime. I have felt this during winter.

I mentioned this to dealer a couple of weeks after getting bike. If they have heard others complaining about heat on right side. I was told "NO haven't heard anything about it" really strange because it was so obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 17-Aug-2018, 02:29 PM (812)

I installed the exhaust extension from Tom Dowell at Excell Throttle Control. Reduced the temperature of the right pannier from too hot to touch to just pretty warm. Beautifully-made piece of gear, by the way ($120.00).

I also took off the possum scraper, which, while making no sense whatsoever, seems to have redirected the heat from the pipe or muffler away from my leg. I try my best not to ride at night and there are few possums out in the daytime in my part of the country. I can't explain the part about the possum scraper, but I know my leg isn't suffering as before. It takes less than 3 minutes to take the thing off, so what've you got to lose ? ("loose" seems to be the new preferred spelling, but excuse me as I'm old and old-fashioned.)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 18-Aug-2018, 08:59 AM (583)

Question Possum scraper

What is this? Excuse me , but I never heard this term before. Assume you are talking about the engine guard.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 18-Aug-2018, 10:34 AM (648)

Rear Wheel mud guard.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2018, 10:48 AM (658)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Rear Wheel mud guard.
You mean that little bit of plastic that is behind the rear wheel? Or are you talking about the plastic that protects the lower shock?

My 2018 cooks my right foot, I don't feel it on my leg so much as I'm wearing a high boot, (Sidi Gore Tex 2 Adventure).

What helps me while on the highway, is I position the heels of my feet on the outside edges of the foot peg and open my legs wide. The air rushing past my boots seems to extract the hot damp air from inside my boots, cooling my feet down quickly. I'm then able to reposition on the pegs and carry on for some time before having the need to do this again.

brian

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-Aug-2018, 08:13 AM (551) Thread Starter

I have had a MudsligMax installed since new so I have removed it to see if this changes the air flow on around the exhaust. I remember when i worked for a suzuki shop and the GSXR's came with a tire hugger at the front of the rear tire. Suzuki said that if it is removed it caused more heat to remain around the engine area. so we will see.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2018, 04:54 PM (912)

Update Possum Scraper

I live in northwest Phoenix, AZ and removed Friday. Rode 100 mi on Sat morning to Yarnell and back. No improvement at all , so I put Possum Scraper back on.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2018, 06:41 PM (987)

Garage
Heat on right side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahillesq View Post
I have had a MudsligMax installed since new so I have removed it to see if this changes the air flow on around the exhaust. I remember when i worked for a suzuki shop and the GSXR's came with a tire hugger at the front of the rear tire. Suzuki said that if it is removed it caused more heat to remain around the engine area. so we will see.
Both of my GSAs, a '14 & '18, have Mudslings and, without a doubt, they channel heat toward the right side of the machine. If you remove it, you will be able to enjoy significant improvement . . . at least I did and would think you'd notice it, too. When I took my '18 to Alaska recently, the Mudsling was installed and the heat in the right pannier made a water bottle swell but it didn't rupture. It also heated my hootch! So, I ordered a stainless steel heat shield for the OEM rack that's made for Globescout panniers and adapted it to fit with my Bumots:

So far, it seems to help quite a bit. I'll be doing the Mid-Atlantic BDR in a few weeks and that should really test the shield.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mikec; 08-Sep-2018 at 05:59 PM (957).
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 28-Aug-2018, 05:30 AM (437)

Garage
Possum Scraper and Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Rear Wheel mud guard.
I have the heat problem too. Glad others are talking about it and sharing solutions.

Is this the "possum scraper" at the rear of the bike or is it the mud protector in front of the rear tire? I am a little concerned about removing the one in front of the rear tire as it will eliminate protection for the bike.
Attached Images

Clark
2017 R1200GSA
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 28-Aug-2018, 06:05 AM (461)

Garage
Heat on right side

Clark, this is the so-called Possum Scraper:

Some riders, myself included, have added a Mudsling or similar fender extension:

This extension does channel hot air toward the right side of the motorcycle. It aids in protecting the rear suspension as well as keeping road/trail debris off of the rider's lower left leg. I'm preparing for a BDR ride and will, in all probability, will remove my Mudsling.

BMW knows about this and, with their OEM Adventure panniers, they've addressed it:

I hope this helps.

Mike
kramdunc and Clark2262 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode