Different oil - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By JetSpeed
  • 1 Post By JetSpeed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-Aug-2018, 06:44 AM (489) Thread Starter

Different oil

Does anyone run a different viscosity oil in there water cooled GS? I have a 2016 GS have been running 5/40 as factory recommended. I have 17,000 miles at in12,000 miles valves were checked all in specs. But engine when warm noisey and transmission is clunky in all gears except 5th &6th. Maybe a 10/40 or 20/50 would help the noise and shifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-Aug-2018, 07:23 AM (516)
Naviator

Garage
I have heard of a few people trying out slightly different viscosity oil (mainly 10W-40 Amsoil) but as far as I know they have switched back reporting no difference or negative results.
The noisy engine and transmission along with the clunky shifts are the nature of the beast, it improves as the miles build up and you become more accustom to it.
An ester based Group V 5W-40 or possibly even a PAO Group IV oil might result in slightly improved shifting qualities, the BMW and Castrol oil that the factory recommends is all Group III synthetic derived from dino oil and not even allowed to be labeled "synthetic" in most countries outside the U.S.

IMHO Bel Ray EXS 4T 5W-40 is probably the finest oil available for the LC GS, most cycle shops sell a 4L container of this for $50-60 which is cheaper than BMW Advantec and not much more than Castrol Power 1.

I had read an article a few years back that the reason BMW had specifically spec'd 5W-40 for the LC 1170cc engine was due to wet-clutch performance primarily, there was initially an issue with clutch chatter during development and testing if thicker oils were used.
kramdunc and Southpaw like this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-Aug-2018, 11:38 AM (693) Thread Starter

Jetspeed thank you for the information I'm going to give the belray a try.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-Aug-2018, 01:31 PM (772)

Garage
During the heat of summer I will use 10W-40 if my oil change happens during that time.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-Aug-2018, 02:29 PM (812)

If is written in rider/ service manual some type of oil, you may use it. Because this is manufacturer recommendation. As far as I know different type of oils, are based on different cold start temperature and also different viscosity. Depends on your climate when and where you intend to use your bike, may use type of oil from the list. I think that 5W40 or 10W40 or other is a standard, producer of oil is not so important in this case.

R 1200 GS '06
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-Aug-2018, 02:56 PM (830)
Naviator

Garage
Back in the day most owners manuals would list a range of oil viscosity's that could be used depending on the outside temperature however with the new modern engine oils BMW recommends full synthetic 5w-40 which is suitable for virtually any temperature range that you will ever encounter on your GS, I would not deviate from this because I see no benefit in doing so.
dcysurfer likes this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2019, 12:35 PM (733)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post

IMHO Bel Ray EXS 4T 5W-40 is probably the finest oil available for the LC GS, most cycle shops sell a 4L container of this for $50-60 which is cheaper than BMW Advantec and not much more than Castrol Power 1.
Agreed, just changed the oil and used Belray 5W30 and it truly is silky. I've used OEM Advantech, Liqui Moly, Motorex and so far they work well for about 1500-2000 miles and they seem to rapidly degrade from there.

It seems Belray no longer bottles 5W40 EXS Full Syn. Ester. Some vendors still have it in stock with heavy discounts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2019, 01:42 PM (779)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
The noisy engine and transmission along with the clunky shifts are the nature of the beast, it improves as the miles build up and you become more accustom to it.
Exactly. Someone please tell the 1250 owners/posters about this "normality".

'05 1200 GS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2019, 02:18 PM (804)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Exactly. Someone please tell the 1250 owners/posters about this "normality".
It gets better with ear plugs too.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2019, 02:43 PM (821)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Got a response from Bel Ray

JetSpeed, here's Bel-Ray's response:

Good Afternoon Mark,

Yes, the Bel-Ray EXS Full Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil 5W-40 was discontinued. For applications that were using this product we would recommend they now use the Bel-Ray EXS Full Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil 10W-40.

Thank you for inquiring about Bel-Ray, and have a great day.

Best Regards,

Cody Bartkowiak

Powersports & Automotive Technical Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode