Red Light - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-Aug-2018, 01:46 AM (282)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Got a call from the dealer and stator is failing and needs to be replaced, under warranty!
The alternator is “buried” deep inside the engine, so they will have to take half the bike apart to change it. I hope it will be in warranty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-Aug-2018, 06:14 AM (468)
Naviator

Garage
That extended warranty just paid for itself three times over, probably the wisest purchase that you ever made.

2013 R1200GSW
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-Aug-2018, 09:20 AM (597) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
That extended warranty just paid for itself three times over, probably the wisest purchase that you ever made.
Sadly the quality seems lacking compared to my last BMW a 1987 K1200RS motorsport. 65K miles in 2 years and never a hiccup. So far on this bike, starter $600, Headlight $2000 and now stater approximately $3500! All on extended warranty. Nice return on $1300 extended warranty, but rather never have to use it! I still love the bike!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-Aug-2018, 10:51 AM (660)

Garage
I feel your disappointment!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2018, 06:46 AM (490)
Bike&Ski

Quote:
The 50A Midi main fuse shuts pretty much the entire electrical system on this bike down if it blows similar to disconnecting the battery, there is some misinformation out there that it only protects the alternator/charge system.
This fuse is a slow-blow type and the entire electrical system on the GS will not draw 50 amps with the exception that the initial draw during engine start on a cold day may come close or even exceed 50a for a split second.

Disconnect it for yourself and see what it does.

Still couldn't hurt anything to check it.
Sorry for the thread hijack but this is a little bit relevant - Just loaded my 2014GS onto a trailer bound for Colorado for a week long trip and reading this thread reminded me that I was going to pack extra fuses, although in three years I have not had any problems. My manual shows two fuses under the seat- one 10A and one 7.5A. It does not show this 50A fuse although in looking at other years manuals it does show this. So, three questions if I could:

1 - If I remember correctly the 10A and 7.5A under the seat are mini blade fuses, not regular size correct?
2 - I'm assuming the 50A is not likely to blow or is this something that is recommended to carry?
3 - Given that my manual did not show the 50A, are there any other fuses to worry about?

Thanks in advance.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2018, 07:44 AM (530)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCyr View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack but this is a little bit relevant - Just loaded my 2014GS onto a trailer bound for Colorado for a week long trip and reading this thread reminded me that I was going to pack extra fuses, although in three years I have not had any problems. My manual shows two fuses under the seat- one 10A and one 7.5A. It does not show this 50A fuse although in looking at other years manuals it does show this. So, three questions if I could:

1 - If I remember correctly the 10A and 7.5A under the seat are mini blade fuses, not regular size correct?
2 - I'm assuming the 50A is not likely to blow or is this something that is recommended to carry?
3 - Given that my manual did not show the 50A, are there any other fuses to worry about?

Thanks in advance.
The 7.5a and 10a are mini blade type fuses, you could pack spares but neither fuse controls anything that will leave you starnded, the 50a Midi fuse is in-line in the extremely rare event that it blows you have real trouble, there are no other fuses.

2013 R1200GSW
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2018, 08:49 AM (575)

As it was explained to me..there is a service advisory on the 2013 R1200 series bikes explaining that issue is with the 50amp fuse harness (not the fuse) that may show a alternator/charging regulator failure..

Last edited by Clay; 13-Aug-2018 at 08:51 AM (577).
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2018, 10:24 AM (641)
Bike&Ski

Quote:
The 7.5a and 10a are mini blade type fuses, you could pack spares but neither fuse controls anything that will leave you starnded, the 50a Midi fuse is in-line in the extremely rare event that it blows you have real trouble, there are no other fuses.
Thank you JetSpeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode