Tank Fitting Repair - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Aug-2018, 09:27 AM (602) Thread Starter

Garage
Tank Fitting Repair

Has anyone repaired one of the in tank fittings on an R1200GS LC, mine is a 2016. Blame it on me, I'll take the heat. The screw cross threaded and that caused the fitting to spin. In theory I will cut out the fitting, put in a deep nut and epoxy it into position. Just would like to find out what others have done.
Attached Images

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.

Last edited by OldButNotDead; 15-Aug-2018 at 09:32 AM (606). Reason: image didn't show
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Aug-2018, 10:38 AM (651)
Naviator

Garage
I had the exact same thing happen to the same fastener on my 2013 GS.
I drilled the head of the Torx head screw off similar to what you have done keeping ti cool by spraying water on it as I drilled with the intention of repairing the threaded brass insert that is molded into the tank.
I had zero luck drilling the threaded part of the screw out and came by a nearly new fuel tank on Ebay for a reasonable price and ended up replacing the tank.

Main problem is the brass insert is so soft compared to the stainless Torx screw and not being able to keep it from spinning as you work on it.
One thing I considered but didn't try was removing the tank, thoroughly rinsing it and using some heat to attempt to melt to the plastic directly around the brass insert enough the secure the insert again.
I just completed a similar repair on the rear frame, there is a threaded 6mm nut-sert used to secure the license plate holder, the Torx screw is vertical just above the turn signal, this was easy compared to the gas tank.

2013 R1200GSW
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Aug-2018, 11:59 AM (708) Thread Starter

Garage
I cut my screw head off with a Dremel. Wish I had thought about the water. It did get hot. Jim Von Baden said there is plenty of plastic in that boss where the fitting is mounted. I'm thinking about using an assortment of Dremel tools and slowly take plastic out around the side of the brass fitting. Once it is out I have a hex deep 5m connector nut I want to stuff in the hole with epoxy around it. Just would like to see if someone else has done this before.

I've contacted my dealer and am under warranty. Let's see how that goes. They are a good dealer, but who knows.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Aug-2018, 01:35 PM (774)
Naviator

Garage
I have heard of another instance that the dealer replaced the tank under warranty without any fuss.
Neither myself or friend who's a mechanical engineering could come up with a very good solution to replace or repair that brass boss, this is a poorly engineered way to secure the plastic.
JVB says a lot of crap that he has zero experience with so be careful.
However be sure to use some-size on the screws when you get it fixed, I apply the messy stuff to every screw that is similarly secured now.

2013 R1200GSW

Last edited by JetSpeed; 16-Aug-2018 at 07:09 AM (506).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 04:22 AM (390) Thread Starter

Garage
Good news! My dealer is replacing the tank. He says BMW is still waffling around as to whether it is a warranty repair or not, but the dealer is replacing under "good will" even if they don't. Parts are inbound.

This all started because I was trying to reduce the gap between the side and top panels on the right side of the tank. BMW has replaced tanks for that too on a kinda sorta random basis. I've come to hate the screws they use. The type of stainless they use is stainless but the non-magnetic variety. I've dropped these screws and had to take off side panels several times when a magnet would have pulled them right out.

Yes, I agree that the brass in plastic is a poor design issue.
JetSpeed likes this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2018, 09:05 PM (087)

OK, I'm going to bump this thread to see if there is any new information. I purchased a used, one owner, 2015 1200 GS LC with only 3,000 miles on it. All work on the bike was done by a single dealership, in another state which I won''t name at this time. Today while installing some Clearwater lights, I discovered someone had either over tightened or cross threaded the lowest side fairing screw into the brass nut on the tank. The screw just spins the nut in the tank molding and won't come out. The bike is a few months out of warranty, so I doubt I will get any help from BMW, even though I'm 100% sure the dealership screwed it up. ( No pun intended.) Plus, they're located 750 miles away. I suspect they will claim the previous owner did it, even though he doesn't wrench on the bike. Any new suggestions? I'm not anxious to buy a new tank.

Al
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2018, 05:38 AM (443) Thread Starter

Garage
Opinion: If you are an engineer, machinist, mechanic or anyone experienced with mechanical assembly, using a stainless steel screw to connect to a brass fitting is bad design. Making the brass fitting non-replaceable is worse. Mounting that fitting in plastic where you have to replace a $1000 tank to fix a $2.50 cross threaded screw makes no sense at all. You have to remove those screws to replace the air filter. You should not have to go to a dealer to replace an air filter for fear of crossing a screw.

Research: A guy had this happen in Ky. He called his dealer on the phone. The dealer ordered the tank and it was on within 10 days. Read where several people had this repair done as either warranty or good will at no cost. Mine is getting handled that way next Saturday. Talked to the BMW dealer in Columbus, Ohio who said if it wasn't a dealer who cross threaded the screw it was not under warranty. Bottom line is it depends on your dealer.

Recommendations/questions: Did you buy the used bike from that 750 mile away dealer and was it under warranty when you bought it. I would talk to that dealer and for $1000 I would beg for his assistance.

Last resort options: 1. Carefully remove the fitting and replace it with a steel deep nut. Use epoxy to hold it in place.
2. Cut the head off the screw (make sure to use water to keep it cool of plastic can melt) and just ride with three fittings. Been riding that way for over 1K miles with no problems.

Last edited by OldButNotDead; 01-Sep-2018 at 05:40 AM (444).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2018, 09:11 AM (591)

SUCCESS. The screw was simply over-tightened so that the brass nut spun freely in the tank molding. Nothing I tried would hold the nut tight enough to loosen the screw. So I drilled a 5/64 inch hole diagonally through the tab on the panel into the brass nut, being careful not to drill all the way to the threads. I then turned the drill bit over and stuck it in the hole essentially pinning the nut in place. I was then able to break the screw loose and it backed out normally. The threads in the brass nut are perfect. The screw had simply been way over tightened. I'll put a steel pin in the hole I drilled to anchor the nut for the future. The screw is undamaged.

Al
marc, bmwbob51 and Rick92040 like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Sep-2018, 08:22 AM (556) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
SUCCESS. The screw was simply over-tightened so that the brass nut spun freely in the tank molding. Nothing I tried would hold the nut tight enough to loosen the screw. So I drilled a 5/64 inch hole diagonally through the tab on the panel into the brass nut, being careful not to drill all the way to the threads. I then turned the drill bit over and stuck it in the hole essentially pinning the nut in place. I was then able to break the screw loose and it backed out normally. The threads in the brass nut are perfect. The screw had simply been way over tightened. I'll put a steel pin in the hole I drilled to anchor the nut for the future. The screw is undamaged.

Al
Great job of innovation. Don't believe it would work on mine though. Mine locked up on the way in and was not even half way in.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2018, 01:12 PM (758) Thread Starter

Garage
Wrap Up

Took less than an hour to put on new tank. No charge at all. Also I now do not have ANY separation, left or right between sides and top.

Now the service manager told me that I had the wrong screws in the parts they took off the panels and they were too tight. This was definitely NOT something I wanted to start an argument over but I have used the parts fiche numbers to match screws that I have ordered as spares so I know I had the right shouldered screw in the right places. I was careful, at least I thought I was to, just take them down to where the shoulder stopped them from turning and no more. In any event everything looks ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode