Rear Brake Pedal Adjustment? Options? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2018, 11:48 AM (700) Thread Starter

Rear Brake Pedal Adjustment? Options?

I have a '15 GS. I am recovering from an Achilles injury on my right leg and the amount of travel on the rear brake pedal requires a longer actuation distance before it engages.

I have bled the brakes and the condition remains. Apparently, there is a very limited travel adjustment available with brake pedal and, if it were 'over' adjusted the problems can be significant.

I use trail braking quite extensively on the twisty roads here so this problem need a solution. I would appreciate hearing if others have experienced this situation and what solutions you have come up with.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2018, 12:34 PM (732)
Naviator

Garage
There are a couple things that can be done to help, as you know don't attempt to adjust the pedal it is set at 1mm blow-bye from the factory and that is it.

One way to possibly reduce the length the travel if to bleed the brakes while the caliper pistons are fully retracted and held fully open (blocked), the calipers have a tendency to hold a small amount of air and are impossible to bleed out unless held open.

Another option is an adjustable brake lever, I use a Gilles Tooling lever.

2013 R1200GSW

Last edited by JetSpeed; 30-Aug-2018 at 01:33 PM (772).
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2018, 01:51 PM (785)

Garage
I agree with Jetspeed, an adjustable bolt on lever would be your best best short of running a master from your left bar to use instead of the foot like I did for years after my leg injury.

I currently have the exact opposite issue. Most foot brake levers are too high for me due to still somewhat limited bend in my right ankle. The R1200gs is actually perfect for me but most bike I need to lower it a drop or actively hold my foot up off the lever which gets tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
There are a couple things that can be done to help, as you know don't attempt to adjust the pedal it is set at 1mm blow-bye from the factory and that is it.

One way to possibly reduce the length the travel if to bleed the brakes while the caliper pistons are fully retracted and held fully open (blocked), the calipers have a tendency to hold a small amount of air and are impossible to bleed out unless held open.

Another option is an adjustable brake lever, I use a Gilles Tooling lever.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2018, 04:20 PM (889) Thread Starter

Rear Brake Pedal

Thanks guys.

Has anyone successfully mounted a GSA pedal on a GS? The GSA pedal has second pedal for added height. If so, where did you source it?

Another thought is to attach something to the top pf the brake pedal to make it higher? Anyone done that?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2018, 07:53 PM (037)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
Thanks guys.

Has anyone successfully mounted a GSA pedal on a GS? The GSA pedal has second pedal for added height. If so, where did you source it?

Another thought is to attach something to the top pf the brake pedal to make it higher? Anyone done that?
Doesnt make a world of a difference with the kind of pedal your injury needs!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2018, 07:56 PM (039)

I can imagine that a foot would get tired being held above the brake pedal all of the time until needed. I keep my right foot off to the (right) side of the pedal until I anticipate braking, then raise it and move it over to the top of the pedal. Kind of like with an automobile. Perhaps I don't understand the proper procedure?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2018, 09:55 PM (121)

Very rare I use rear brake, because they are linked. Even in my old model of bike. May be only one place, that I use it, until work with remote control of garage. In front of garage there is a little slope and I hold with rear brake. Another case is in emergency stopping with both of them.
Pedal is adjustable and you may try to set little bit up or down, for your maximum convenience in this case.

R 1200 GS '06
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2018, 07:57 AM (539)

Garage
For me having my finger and foot covering brakes means "think about braking, then brake in one movement". Not Think/ Move/ Then Brake. Something I started thinking about and doing almost 20 years ago and I always do it. I believe it takes an extra movement out of the braking process so it must be more efficeint.
Personal preference of course but I am always ready to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
I can imagine that a foot would get tired being held above the brake pedal all of the time until needed. I keep my right foot off to the (right) side of the pedal until I anticipate braking, then raise it and move it over to the top of the pedal. Kind of like with an automobile. Perhaps I don't understand the proper procedure?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2018, 08:00 AM (542)

Garage
@DrSteve. There are bolt on pieces for the stock level like this. Seems like it may work for your issue because it would be torture for my issue
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...00gs-2013-2018
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2018, 04:29 PM (895) Thread Starter

Rear Brake Pedal

Standupnfall - this is the solution I chose: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...00gs-2013-2018

Thanks to all for the ideas. I'll let you all know how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode