Advice on Battery Chargers for 2017 1200GS - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Advart
  • 2 Post By JetSpeed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 01:50 AM (285) Thread Starter

Garage
Advice on Battery Chargers for 2017 1200GS

Can anyone please provide some advice/info on the best battery charger for a 2017 1200GS?

My bike is kept in my garage but as I spend 6 weeks at a time working away, I want to ensure the battery is correctly maintained during this time, especially during the winter months when the garage becomes very cold. Also is there a connection socket on the GS for a battery charger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 03:46 AM (365)

Deltran Battery Tender.

My GSA came with the pigtail off of the battery that fits the Deltran Battery Tender. I've used Deltran battery tenders on a variety of bikes I've owned over the past ~20 years. Sometimes a bike sat for a couple months on them without being started. No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcc81 View Post
Can anyone please provide some advice/info on the best battery charger for a 2017 1200GS?

My bike is kept in my garage but as I spend 6 weeks at a time working away, I want to ensure the battery is correctly maintained during this time, especially during the winter months when the garage becomes very cold. Also is there a connection socket on the GS for a battery charger?
Southpaw and stevel3007 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 07:34 AM (523)
Naviator

Garage
Many dealers install an SAE charge connector on the right side near the battery cover, if not on your GS they are cheap and easy to do yourself.

I've had good luck with a Noco G3500 battery charger/tender, it can charge a dead battery fairly quickly and also act as a tender when the bike is not being ridden, similar to a Battery Tender 4A but less expensive.

One thing I don't recommend us using a CanBUS charger through the DIN socket on the bike, there is absolutely nothing to gain by doing so and often times the connection fails to stay maintained.
mikec and johnmcc81 like this.

2013 R1200GSW

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 07:46 AM (532)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcc81 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Many dealers install an SAE charge connector on the right side near the battery cover, if not on your GS they are cheap and easy to do yourself.
I've had good luck with this one, relatively cheap and comes with an SAE adapter to make use of the connector JetSpeed mentioned. It auto senses what the battery needs and goes from there once you plug it in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 11:18 PM (179) Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

Many thanks for the useful advice guys, it's very helpful.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM (579)

Garage
I'm only in the States for two or three months a year, where I garage my motorcycle. My choice was an Optimate which I employ in standard mode, (not can bus) and connect via SAE plug directly to the battery. It tests battery for voltage and when necessary applies a low amp current to maintain optimal charge state.

Even with this $80 device it's an act of faith to plug it up and walk away for six months or better. Am I going to cook the bike, am I going to set the garage on fire...yikes! Over two long storage periods it has preformed flawlessly and I'm even starting to trust it.

(Bike, garage and more are in the path of Hurricane Florence so I'm hoping for the best)

Last edited by Crucian; 11-Sep-2018 at 08:58 AM (582).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-Sep-2018, 02:57 AM (331) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
I'm only in the States for two or three months a year, where I garage my motorcycle. My choice was an Optimate which I employ in standard mode, (not can bus) and connect via SAE plug directly to the battery. It tests battery for voltage and when necessary applies a low amp current to maintain optimal charge state.

Even with this $80 device it's an act of faith to plug it up and walk away for six months or better. Am I going to cook the bike, am I going to set the garage on fire...yikes! Over two long storage periods it has preformed flawlessly and I'm even starting to trust it.

(Bike, garage and more are in the path of Hurricane Florence so I'm hoping for the best)
Thanks for info Crucian. The Optimate gets great reviews and it's the one I was leaning towards, so it's good hear it fits the bike and does the job. I hope your property and bike survive the hurricane unscathed. Fingers crossed for you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-Sep-2018, 04:50 AM (410)

I am using the Optimate in can bus mode, but it sounds like I should be connecting it directly to the battery. No issues up to this point.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 06:07 AM (463)

Garage
As I understand the issue, a power interruption to the charger will (could) cause it not to re-initiate charging duty. No experience there as I elected to go "standard" mode directly to leads from the battery terminals. Those leads terminating in an SAE plug, down low on the RH side of the frame are also very useful for aux, higher amperage, gear when mobile, as others have stated. I use the can bus plug below the bars to feed a low voltage line into my tank bag for device charging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode