Smokin' Exhaust - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 15-Sep-2018, 11:04 AM (669)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbm17 View Post
My buddy was told the same thing (by a Milwaukee 8 certified H-D tech) regarding his 2017 H-D Road Guide Ultra when it had some issues during our recent trip to Newfoundland. I have a real hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a bunch of engineers sitting around designing motors with "specs" like this. My old 2006 Yammie FZ-6 lost zero ounces of oil per 1,000 miles. My old 2007 Toyota Corolla loses zero ounces of oil per 1,000 miles. And if either of them lost this much oil, I would consider them broken and would take them in for service.

1l per 1,000 miles means your putting in half a litre every day when you are out touring, and that is considered "ok". Makes no sense at all. Losing that much oil means there is something wrong. It's bonkers!

Not being an automotive engineer, makes no sense to me to push excess oil out the air breather either, which my buddy was also told his brand new RGU would do. For one, it gums up the air filter*. For two, why not drip the excess into the cylinders and just burn it off?

*which, on the RGU at least, eventually creates vacuum pressure that continues to extract oil from the motor until the oil soaked filter is replaced, eventually bleeding your motor dry. Again, according to one Milwaukee 8 certified tech.
Not that the bikes use that much, only that bmw says that's what they consider normal. I've heard the GS's may use some until they get past 12-15K and nearly none after 20k on the bikes.

Like I mentioned, I used a liter in 4K miles to Ak. So I wasn't adding oil every 1K. On the GS, overfill the oil too much, it pushes the excess through the breather. To avoid that, don't overfill the oil, pretty simple right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2018, 07:40 AM (528) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
Not that the bikes use that much, only that bmw says that's what they consider normal. I've heard the GS's may use some until they get past 12-15K and nearly none after 20k on the bikes.

Like I mentioned, I used a liter in 4K miles to Ak. So I wasn't adding oil every 1K. On the GS, overfill the oil too much, it pushes the excess through the breather. To avoid that, don't overfill the oil, pretty simple right?
Understood ... I'm guessing it is a warranty / legal thing.

I'm still bothered by the white smoke thing though. I know everyone says it is normal, but it is in fact the opposite of normal, given my bike was nearly 2 years old with ~27,000kms on the odo (and pretty much always on the side stand) before the first occurrence of "big puff of white smoke on startup".
brownie likes this.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2018, 08:56 AM (580)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbm17 View Post
Understood ... I'm guessing it is a warranty / legal thing.

I'm still bothered by the white smoke thing though. I know everyone says it is normal, but it is in fact the opposite of normal, given my bike was nearly 2 years old with ~27,000kms on the odo (and pretty much always on the side stand) before the first occurrence of "big puff of white smoke on startup".
White Smoke usually indicates water is present in the combustible mix..try watching your coolant level more often. Though not related to your issue I had a water pump replaced due to a seal failure(oil and water emulsification present).
brownie likes this.

Last edited by Clay; 17-Sep-2018 at 11:16 AM (677).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode