Smokin' Exhaust - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 08:57 AM (581) Thread Starter

Garage
Smokin' Exhaust

2016 R1200GS with all the fixins including the Akro exhaust, purchased new in Sept 2016 (it's our two year anniversary!).

In the two years since buying the bike I have never noticed smoke from the exhaust before the two events below.

First occurrence: After a week long vacation during which the bike was sitting at home idle and covered. When I started the machine there was a decent amount of (grey-ish I think) smoke from the exhaust which slowly decreased until it eventually stopped, over a period of maybe 60 seconds or so. The next few days there was no smoke when starting the machine.

Second occurrence: This morning heading out for my commute to work. The bike had been idle for 3.5 days, and again the smoke on startup. Again the smoke started off somewhat heavy and then lessened over ~60 seconds. Rather ashamed I let the bike sit idle for more than 3 days but that is beside the point.

Should I be concerned?

I'll check the oil level tonight, pay closer attention to the colour of the smoke if I see it again. Maybe I'll let the bike sit a few days to see if I can re-create the issue and record it.

Mark

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 09:03 AM (585)
Naviator

Garage
Nothing to be concerned over these GS's will tend to smoke at start-up if parked on the side-stand.
I use the center-stand 99% of the time and have had zero smoke.
Southpaw and fdbm17 like this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 11:28 AM (686)

My 2012 sits on the side stand constantly, only on the center stand to work on it like change tires etc. Never seen any smoke from the exhaust.
Southpaw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 12:39 PM (735) Thread Starter

Garage
Based on related posts (I should have searched the forum first) I suspect it is / was water allowed to sit in the exhaust can. Odd that it has never happened before but maybe this is the first time I've had 1. water in the exhaust and 2. the bike sitting idle for a few days. I did give it a wash before leaving on that 1 week vacation.

Still, odd it's never happened before. My bike is always on its side stand unless I specifically need the centre stand for something.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-Sep-2018, 10:45 PM (156)

I’ve had a 2014 R1200 GS since new, it’s now got about 45,000 km on it. Since about 20,000 km I started noticing smoke on start-up when it had been sitting on the side stand for more than a couple days, I’d say exactly as you’ve described. For this reason, I now only ever leave it parked on the centre stand at home (only use it every 2 weeks atm unfortunately). If I do this, it does not smoke on start-up. Out of about 20 non-BMW bikes I’ve had, this is the only bike that uses a noticeable amount of oil. About 200 mils per 10,000 km, not a lot but not what I’m used to. I’m not worried about it, most BM ppl say its normal - and I still love the bike!
By the way, if you drop it on its side...once you pick it back up and start it, it’ll smoke like crazy for a few minutes, I’ve had that a couple of times, but still no scratches on it 🙂
Southpaw likes this.

Last edited by Rusty62; 12-Sep-2018 at 10:51 PM (160).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 12:09 PM (714)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
My 2012 sits on the side stand constantly, only on the center stand to work on it like change tires etc. Never seen any smoke from the exhaust.
Same here.
brownie likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 12:35 PM (733)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty62 View Post
Iíve had a 2014 R1200 GS since new, itís now got about 45,000 km on it. Since about 20,000 km I started noticing smoke on start-up when it had been sitting on the side stand for more than a couple days, Iíd say exactly as youíve described. For this reason, I now only ever leave it parked on the centre stand at home (only use it every 2 weeks atm unfortunately). If I do this, it does not smoke on start-up. Out of about 20 non-BMW bikes Iíve had, this is the only bike that uses a noticeable amount of oil. About 200 mils per 10,000 km, not a lot but not what Iím used to. Iím not worried about it, most BM ppl say its normal - and I still love the bike!
By the way, if you drop it on its side...once you pick it back up and start it, itíll smoke like crazy for a few minutes, Iíve had that a couple of times, but still no scratches on it 🙂
BMW says 1 liter per 1K miles is considered normal. On the 8K mile trip to Ak. and back a few months ago, my 2012 camhead used 1/2 liter in 4K miles. If you overfill them, they'll throw the excess through the air box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 02:01 PM (792)

Garage
1 liter = 33 fluid ounces? I know that from the capacity of a bottle of rum. A quart of oil every thousand miles sounds excessive. By that measure I would have consumed 3 gallons of oil in 12,000 miles?

2 cups in 4k sounds reasonable but I wouldn't want to see more than that...

Last edited by Crucian; 13-Sep-2018 at 02:04 PM (794).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2018, 08:19 AM (555) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
BMW says 1 liter per 1K miles is considered normal. On the 8K mile trip to Ak. and back a few months ago, my 2012 camhead used 1/2 liter in 4K miles. If you overfill them, they'll throw the excess through the air box.
My buddy was told the same thing (by a Milwaukee 8 certified H-D tech) regarding his 2017 H-D Road Guide Ultra when it had some issues during our recent trip to Newfoundland. I have a real hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a bunch of engineers sitting around designing motors with "specs" like this. My old 2006 Yammie FZ-6 lost zero ounces of oil per 1,000 miles. My old 2007 Toyota Corolla loses zero ounces of oil per 1,000 miles. And if either of them lost this much oil, I would consider them broken and would take them in for service.

1l per 1,000 miles means your putting in half a litre every day when you are out touring, and that is considered "ok". Makes no sense at all. Losing that much oil means there is something wrong. It's bonkers!

Not being an automotive engineer, makes no sense to me to push excess oil out the air breather either, which my buddy was also told his brand new RGU would do. For one, it gums up the air filter*. For two, why not drip the excess into the cylinders and just burn it off?

*which, on the RGU at least, eventually creates vacuum pressure that continues to extract oil from the motor until the oil soaked filter is replaced, eventually bleeding your motor dry. Again, according to one Milwaukee 8 certified tech.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2018, 09:02 AM (585)
Naviator

Garage
It's not the engineers that set these tolerances for oil burn, it's the warranty claims department and they set the allowable oil consumption so high so that they don't have to repair engines.

I had a new GM product that used a bit over 2 quarts between oil changes (4-5k miles) and the dealer told me that was normal and within spec (1qt per 1k miles), it didn't make me happy though and I reported my displeasure to the service manager and than the general manager they ended up replacing the engine and the new one doesn't use any oil between changes.
Moral of the story is; just because the manufacturer says it's within spec doesn't always mean that you have to settle for that.
Crucian and Rick92040 like this.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode