Service manual for 2018 r1200 GSA - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 12:05 PM (711) Thread Starter

Garage
Service manual for 2018 r1200 GSA

does anyone know if there is a service manual available for the 2018 BMW R 1200 GS adventure? I have searched everywhere on the Internet and can't seem to find one. I previously had one for my Yamaha super Tenere I can't find one for my 2018 GSA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 12:18 PM (721)

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 01:18 PM (762)
GS (and DR)

Your dealer can get you the "manual" in the form of a DVD. The DVD contains an application that runs only on windows computers. You can install the application up to 3 times. You can also ask the app to "call home" and get updates. I think BMW releases updates several times a year. I do not know if the app covers 2018 models, yet. Cost is $130-ish last time I looked.

Or you can wait and eventually buy a Clymer or Haynes manual. Haynes currently covers '13~'16. Clymer doesn't seem to have anything for beemers made after '09.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 01:21 PM (764)
Naviator

Garage
As Bob stated the most recent BMW RSD DVD covers up to the 2016 model year GS with probably 99% of that data being the same as for the 2018 save some electronics stuff that you probably won't need anyway.

2013 R1200GSW
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2018, 04:22 AM (390)

Garage
Interesting. The update Sept 2017 covered minor differences associated with my '18 GS Rallye, such as rear peg changes needed for adventure cases install.

Jet is right however that even the older BMW RSD DVD covers most of what you would need.

For example, take a look at the screen shot of this page from BMW Motorad site where you can download the riders manuals for most bikes. Heres the link to that page:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...html&notrack=1

I find the riders manual has quite a few good service instructions on its own, (see the second screenshot which is from the latest 2017 GSA manual table of contents). On the bottom right of the download page, the links for different riders manuals imply the differences by year and by VIN that translate into model code, e.g. A02 and A22 vs A21 (USA model).

On it on the top right of the download page, you see they ask for VIN. I would recommend you have your VIN decoded for both the RSD and riders manual which ask for specific model code and year. Can to that here:

url]https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online[/url

Bottom right you see all the available GSAdventure (USA) manuals, where the primary rider's manual list models "Aug 2014 onward", "Aug 15 onward", "Aug 16 onward", and then stops at "Aug 2017 onward" and "with SA XBABA Connectivity"; these last 2 are separate links. It also lists supplement for Rallye. So, depending on whether you've the TFT (aka Connectivity) or Rallye you will want an RSD that is updated to cover those elements; updates are downloadable after you purchase the RSD. As mentioned, the RSD my dealer sold me in Oct 2017 did not cover my 2018 GS Rallye, but a subsequent downloaded update of RSD (in January 2018) covered the same features as the GS supplement riders manual: the cosmetics and different options installable and their implications for servicing later. I am surprised the current 2018 GSA is not already out there as an update.

Lastly, if you just bought this bike, you can get a discount from your dealer for the RSD. Mine was 20% off because I asked for it within a month or two after buying the bike. I think standard is 15% off all parts bought within a month of your bike purchase.

Best of luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by goethe; 05-Oct-2018 at 05:05 AM (420).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2018, 12:01 PM (709)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
As Bob stated the most recent BMW RSD DVD covers up to the 2016 model year GS with probably 99% of that data being the same as for the 2018 save some electronics stuff that you probably won't need anyway.
I was curious if the updates added new models as I often see changes in procedures that weren't in the version of the RepROM I purchased in '14. Lets see...

The latest update is named R_Models_K5x_201808; fairly recent. It includes models 0A01, 0A11, 0A21, 0A31, and 0A41 for the GS. 0A11 is a US GS which as you said goes through 2016. Starting in De3c 216 the US model GS is changed to 0A61. That model is is not specifically covered. Haven't a clue as to what the specific differences are other than the electronics stuff you mentioned.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2018, 01:34 PM (773)
Naviator

Garage
The updates for RSD do add the new models for instance my version (dated 12/2016) has the G310R.

2013 R1200GSW
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM (011)

Sorry to dig up an old topic. Just picked up an '18 GS and I'm also having a problem finding the service manual.

So if you get the k5x DVD you will continue to get updates for the k5x series? so when the 2018 stuff comes out you will get it? does this mean the dealers don't have documentation to work on the TFT displays and LED headlights?

I suppose since you can't install more than 3 times you probably cant print from it, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in