Rear tire Change - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2018, 08:48 PM (116) Thread Starter

Rear tire Change

Hi All
After fighting a new tourance with the spoons last night I had to call it quites and head another direction. I’ve seen the zip tie method but YouTube showed me a gent who used gorilla black tape to tape the tire together at 4 locations and with a little soap popped it on the rim with minimal effort. Well I had to share that that tourance went on with little effort and no spooning required. I will never again attemp to spoon on a tubleas tire.
Candubrain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 02:47 AM (366)

Garage
Ah wow yes. Personally I leave tyre changing to the professionals, well equipped. I find it hard enough on a tubeless mountain bike tyre, won't even try on a motorbike!
Those guys on youtube make it look easy.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 06:18 AM (512)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayep View Post
Ah wow yes. Personally I leave tyre changing to the professionals, well equipped. I find it hard enough on a tubeless mountain bike tyre, won't even try on a motorbike!
Those guys on youtube make it look easy.
I live 100 miles round trip to a dealer that'll put on a tire and I'm putting on new tires every couple months. No one in town will do it because they're scared of BMW rims. Local non BMW dealer had to buy me a new $1500 wheel! traveling to town requires me to buy their tires at inflated prices and mount service. So I buy tires online, mount and balance them myself saving hundreds of $$$. I'm getting pretty good at it too
Candubrain likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 09:47 AM (657)

Garage
I have spooned on new tires several times using a modified Harbor Freight changer and a mojo lever. Oh yes, then when you get it on, getting the bead to pop is fun too. Both Pirelli Scorpions and Conti Road/Trail attacks were a b--ch. Luckily I found a guy less than half a mile from my house with all the tools AND at $10 per tire it was steel. I recommend looking around for one of these shade tree shops. It will surprise you what some of them have.

Don't let these guys tell you "you aren't using the right technique." Screw them! The right technique for me is getting someone with the right tools that knows what they are doing.
Vatu likes this.

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 10:16 AM (678)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I live 100 miles round trip to a dealer that'll put on a tire and I'm putting on new tires every couple months. No one in town will do it because they're scared of BMW rims. Local non BMW dealer had to buy me a new $1500 wheel! traveling to town requires me to buy their tires at inflated prices and mount service. So I buy tires online, mount and balance them myself saving hundreds of $$$. I'm getting pretty good at it too
Other than the rear rim having a big, automotive-style hole in the center (for which adapters are readily available), I can't see what makes a BMW rim different from any other tubeless-tire rim. I mean, if there were a difference in the rim itself, would tires made for "standard" rims even fit? So what was the problem these guys had?

Back in the mid '80s I had a couple Harley touring bikes with the enclosed chain drive. Though it was a two-sided swingarm, from the tire-change standpoint it was more like a single-sided setup in that the wheel hub/sprocket/left bearing stayed inside the enclosure on the bike; you had to remove five lug bolts through a hole in the chain housing to take off the wheel itself. And even though I found the process of removing/installing the wheel to be, if anything, easier than on a conventional setup, I knew many dealers who charged extra for the enclosed-chain bikes or flat-out refused to do them unless you brought the wheel in by itself. Go figure.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 11:01 AM (709)
Super Awesom Person

I've spooned on many tires in my 50 years or owning motorcycles. When I started getting older I went in with my brother an bought a NoMar. To be honest it wasn't much better. We now have a Weaver simply because I'm to old for that crap anymore. If you can find someone to share the cost it's worth it. I think Atlas is now selling the same one in a different color for less money. https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...1-Tire-Changer
rsmith likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 12:15 PM (760)

I've never tried ty-wraps or tape, actually never heard of using tape until now. Good ideas to try sometime, but I've never had a problem using spoons, like they say if you're fighting it, you're doing something wrong.

Thanks for sharing this idea.
brian

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 01:33 PM (814)

Garage
What kind of "BLACK TAPE"?

EDIT: I see you wrote Gorilla Black tape which to me is a strong duct tape variant.

Ride to Work, Work to Ride
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 04:51 PM (952)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
Other than the rear rim having a big, automotive-style hole in the center (for which adapters are readily available), I can't see what makes a BMW rim different from any other tubeless-tire rim. I mean, if there were a difference in the rim itself, would tires made for "standard" rims even fit? So what was the problem these guys had?

Back in the mid '80s I had a couple Harley touring bikes with the enclosed chain drive. Though it was a two-sided swingarm, from the tire-change standpoint it was more like a single-sided setup in that the wheel hub/sprocket/left bearing stayed inside the enclosure on the bike; you had to remove five lug bolts through a hole in the chain housing to take off the wheel itself. And even though I found the process of removing/installing the wheel to be, if anything, easier than on a conventional setup, I knew many dealers who charged extra for the enclosed-chain bikes or flat-out refused to do them unless you brought the wheel in by itself. Go figure.
Low man on the totem pole get tire duty and they tend to be inexperienced and ham fisted! Dealer hit the TSP sensor once and paid BMW dealer to replace it. Second time hit the TPS sensor so hard it bent the TSP senor hole and couldn't be sealed! New wheel $1500! And this is a multi motorcycle dealer including Indians that have TSP
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2018, 08:31 PM (105) Thread Starter

I’m telling you guys squish the beads together tape them at 4 spots lube tire and rim with dish soap and push it on. No tools required. The soap also helps the bead. I was amazed. I look forward to changing another. I also got the mark Parnes balancer and adapter. Very nice!
Crowbar and Dr. Strangelove like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode