Charging Question on '09 GSA
Hello, I just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone has experienced a "delay" in charging on their R1200? In short, my '09 GSA has 55K miles, has never had any issues (other than fuel gauge strips) but is starting to have an occasional delay before the battery starts to charge. I first noticed this while on a ride when the "battery" light was on for about 3-5 minutes into a ride, then it started charging. The 8 y/o Odyssey battery was showing about 12.4V at rest but I replaced in case that could be the issue. Bottom line, new battery did not fix it.
Here's are some clues:
1) about half the time I start the bike there is a 1-3 second delay before it starts to send a charge to the battery (sending @13.9 (idle)- 14.5V (with some RPMs)) - maybe this is normal, i just never noticed?
2) about 1/4 of the time I start it, it takes 30 seconds or so before the charging kicks in
3) about 1/4 of the time I go several minutes and it doesn't start charging at all so I head home and put the bike on the tender.
4) I use tender intermittently if I am not riding daily, but even without it, I'm seeing 12.7-12.9V on the new Odysessy.
5) Once it starts charging it continues to charge until I switch the bike off - e.g. does not go in and out while riding which might suggest a loose wire / connection.
6) I'm not pulling a lot of extra juice on the battery, just a GPS, and some extra LED lights on front and back, haven't needed to use heated grips.
6) Alternator belt is fresh and fine.
It's very frustrating as I am hesitant to take the bike on any decent rides as I can start out and ride a couple of hours, stop for gas, then it decides not to charge. I then start/ start / repeat / ride until it decides to charge.
I'm assuming its the alternator/stator but don't want to go the the hassle / expense of swapping it out if it could be something simpler.
Thanks so much for your feedback!