Clicking, Failure to Start - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2019, 06:36 PM (025) Thread Starter

Garage
Clicking, Failure to Start

I know, it's probably the battery. Here's the backstory, I got stuck yesterday, laid the bike over a couple times getting it unstuck. When I tried to start it at one point I didn't hold the starter button long for the engine to start and I pushed it again. This time the bike just clicked and that's all. I tried taking the key out of the ignition and starting it again, I tried jumping it, nothing. Today, I tried it again, nothing. The battery is only about 2 years old. It hasn't shown any signs of slowing down prior to this event. In the video I tried starting it. The flash of light that you notice is my LED headlights. Could it be the starter? The battery? (probably)? Thanks for your help!

https://youtu.be/PM1-GE9W2Yk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2019, 06:48 PM (033)

Garage
This may sound too basic, but check your ground connections.
Southpaw and Revilok like this.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2019, 08:02 PM (084)
Survivor

Garage
Agree that you should check the battery connections, but also try disconnecting the battery for a minute to reset things.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-Jan-2019, 08:33 PM (106) Thread Starter

Garage
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I'll give an update once I can.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-Jan-2019, 11:36 PM (233)

Check battery and starter connections. Should be without rust and well tight (not over tight). Both battery +/- terminals 7Nm, Starter plus terminal 10Nm. If is possible, try with charging of battery few hours. Please keep in touch and share info when it will be available.
KPed24 likes this.

R 1200 GS '06
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 01:33 PM (773) Thread Starter

Garage
Well I've taken the starter off and have done a few tests on it along with the solenoid. Everything has checked out ok so far. I'm waiting for a new multimeter to arrive in the mail so I can finish the testing, like voltage drop.

In case the problem is the starter, does anyone know of a site to get a starter/solenoid? I don't want to pay $500 from the dealer. Thanks!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 04:21 PM (889)
Super Awesom Person

Take a sparkplug out of each side and see if the battery will turn it over. If not try jump starting it from another battery with the plugs out. I'm wondering if 1. The battery is dead or 2. there is oil in a cylinder..

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 04:50 PM (909)

You could have a bad cell in the battery but the fact that you tried to jump it with no success tells me that your ground connection to the bike is either loose or corroded. Don't just check the cable connection to the battery but follow the cable from the battery to where it is connected to the bike and see if it is clean and tight.
KPed24 and Southpaw like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 07:12 PM (009) Thread Starter

Garage
I've used a combination of using the bike's battery and a portable jump start unit when testing all of this. With the starter off, I tested the thick red power wire directly from the battery to see if power was able to channel its way through the relays and stuff, it did. I did the same with the little black wire that connects to the solenoid while I push the starter button, it gets power too.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 07:16 PM (011) Thread Starter

Garage
From watching this video you can hear a click. That's actually the starter pinion (I forgot the technical term) entering into the engine to the fly wheel. But, the starter pinion gear mechanism isn't rotating at this point. So, this is a horrible thought, maybe I should try to rotate the fly wheel to see if the engine is messed up or not. Any ideas on how to do that?

https://youtu.be/PM1-GE9W2Yk

Last edited by KPed24; 30-Mar-2019 at 07:20 PM (014).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode