Fitting GS cast wheels to my 2017 GSA - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 07:57 AM (581) Thread Starter

Fitting GS cast wheels to my 2017 GSA

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the whole GS'ing thing and whilst I love to take my 2017 GSA off-road, i really also like to ride it pretty hard on the road, and the "unicorn" tyre that does both extremely well just doesn't exist..

So, I had an idea about putting a set of road tyres onto the GS alloy cast wheels and fitting these to my GSA as a road going wheel/tyre combo.

Realising that i'm new to the GS/A fraternity i also realised i'm probably not the only person to have thought of doing this :-) , therefore, I'm looking for advice on what cast wheels will fit my 2017 GSA (i.e from which year GS can I salvage some cast wheels).

There looks like plenty of them for sale on eBay and the likes, so just need to know they'll fit without too much (or any) modifications.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 09:47 AM (657)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
following with interest
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 10:33 AM (689)

This is just my opinion, but the whole changing out wheel/tire every time I want to ride just road or just dirt sounds like a total PITA. Not just that, but it also sounds expensive. F & R wheels, tires, rotors, TPMS systems, ABS, etc. I think the best option is to decide what type of riding you will be doing most, and then buy tires accordingly. I think this is why BMW fitted our bikes (I have a 2017 GSA too) with the Anakee IIIs. They're fairly competent on road and can handle a bit of dirt and gravel. Hence the 90/10 designation. So, I guess there are trade offs. If for instance you were going to take your GSA to the track, which some do; then yes, a set of road only wheels and tires is a good option. I have absolutely smoked Harleys in the twisties with the Anakee IIIs (which isn't hard to do), and kept up with, and have lead friends on sport bikes riding aggressively. Not endorsing the Anakee IIIs, but that is the only tire I have used on my GSA. The last thing I will say is I absolutely would not do any modifications to my GSA just to fit some used cast wheels.
Candubrain likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 12:27 PM (769) Thread Starter

I guess if you only ride road with a little gravel the A3s are pretty competent, I liked them when I bought the bike but they reach a limitation on mud and dirt pretty quickly compared to the Anlas Capra X I'm running now. I don't see it as a big deal to swap the wheels around when going from road to dirt, hence why i'd like a second set of wheels. I may be put off if i need any serious modification in order to do this, but I guess i'd like to here from someone that's done it to see if there's any issues or not.
chaostrophy likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 12:42 PM (779)
Super Awesom Person

I understand why he wants cast wheels for the street. I run street tires on my GS.(Roadsmart 3) and would like 50/50 tires for the dirt. While the street tires work just fine on the occasional dirt road the places I want to go requires a good 50/50 tire. A 80/20 tire just won't do the trick.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 01:24 PM (808)

I've considered the option, but after putting 10,000Kms on my 2018 GSA since July with most of the K's off pavement I will be sticking to the A3's.

Granted there are trade offs, but I'm willing to bet most people are not capable of using the 10% dirt section of the tire to its full potential. On gravel roads they are excellent, I've run ATV trails without issue, but admit I've had get offs while climbing hills with baby head rocks.......this probably more to do with my lack of skill and 61 yrs of age, (slow reflexes).

Agree, mud is its weak link, but not many tires excel in mud and still be of use on the highways.

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 02:16 PM (844)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candubrain View Post
I've considered the option, but after putting 10,000Kms on my 2018 GSA since July with most of the K's off pavement I will be sticking to the A3's.

Granted there are trade offs, but I'm willing to bet most people are not capable of using the 10% dirt section of the tire to its full potential. On gravel roads they are excellent, I've run ATV trails without issue, but admit I've had get offs while climbing hills with baby head rocks.......this probably more to do with my lack of skill and 61 yrs of age, (slow reflexes).

Agree, mud is its weak link, but not many tires excel in mud and still be of use on the highways.
Totally agree.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 07:12 AM (550)

Investigate, on the hex&cam heads, you can just run the wheels from any other model, which gives you wider 17" front and a wider rear, for better tire selection. In thinking about that, because most weeks, I'm doing 6-700 miles on the freeway, longer tire life would be nice, and then I could have tires that work off pavement. Or just swap tires every time ;-)

Sent from my S70 using Tapatalk
Sed8r likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 09:50 AM (660)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbrown357 View Post
This is just my opinion, but the whole changing out wheel/tire every time I want to ride just road or just dirt sounds like a total PITA. Not just that, but it also sounds expensive. F & R wheels, tires, rotors, TPMS systems, ABS, etc. I think the best option is to decide what type of riding you will be doing most, and then buy tires accordingly. I think this is why BMW fitted our bikes (I have a 2017 GSA too) with the Anakee IIIs. They're fairly competent on road and can handle a bit dirt and gravel. Hence the 90/10 designation. So, I guess there are trade offs. If for instance you were going to take your GSA to the track, which some do; then yes, a set of road only wheels and tires is a good option. I have absolutely smoked Harleys in the twisties with the Anakee IIIs (which isn't hard to do), and kept up with, and have lead friends on sport bikes riding aggressively. Not endorsing the Anakee IIIs, but that is the only tire I have used on my GSA. The last thing I will say is I absolutely would not do any modifications to my GSA just to fit some used cast wheels.

I was in the same position when I had a Suzuki DR650 with street tires on it. I bought another set of wheels and mounted up a set of 50/50 tires on them for riding off pavement. The day the new tires arrived I spooned them in and swapped wheels around. I then stood back to marvel at my new tires and thought I am going to waste 20 minutes every time I want to switch disciplines. I went in the house got on CL and found another DR650 about 90 miles away for the right money walked back out to the garage and swapped the wheels back to the street setup rode out and bought a second DR650.

Not saying buying another bike is the right answer but swapping wheels on paper looks like a viable solution but in reality its a PITA.
Sed8r and Catbrown357 like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2019, 09:29 AM (645)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
I've got a set of cast rims with the A3's mounted, and my spoked rims with Anakee Wilds. When I'm in the dirt, I want the most dirt-capable tires, because I'm not always riding forest service roads or the like that an 80/20 tire is good for, I'm off road. When I want to go on a long haul touring trip (the bike can do both - so I use it for both), I have the A3's. Which I think I'm going to replace with Road 5's when they wear out.

Got the rims on ebay - bought front rotors from the same and TPMS sensors. Makes for a quick changeover if something 'fun' comes up and I don't have the best tire mounted for it, I can change tires in 15 minutes.

Thinking of offloading my spoked rims for Woody's 21" front and matching rear on SuperLights with Superlaced and Supersized spokes - the BMW rims are... soft. If you want to do it, do it. Just get the parts from a GS and it will bolt onto your GSA. Careful if you take your cast rims on hard off road - they could break, but cast rims will handle gravel and fire trails without much problem (from what I've seen).

It's an expensive bike and an expensive passion, kvetching about $ for top of the line gear or top of the line accessories/parts doesn't make much sense to me, but I've been there where I've had to 'get by' for years. Since I don't need to 'get by' anymore, I buy once, cry once, and enjoy the hell outta what I have, because it's exactly what I want, exactly how I want it, and that is damn satisfying.

Also, could hop on my VFR if I want a shorter/faster/sportier ride. Another bike is always an option
Rick92040 likes this.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by Sed8r; 16-Jan-2019 at 09:33 AM (648).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode