Cheap easy effective farkles - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 01:03 PM (794) Thread Starter

Cheap easy effective farkles

I bought my GS a few months ago and it came with Vario luggage. I was looking for a way to stow my rain gear on the left pannier as its odd shaped an sort of useless. I rolled up my rain gear and stuffed it in the upper side and was not happy. I tried everywhere and thought the lid would be great but how to secure it. Then I looked over and saw a bungee net laying in the tool box and the gears started turning. After a few minutes I saw screws in the interior of the Varios the hold the aluminum shells on and had some 1/4" cable clamps and it all came together. Unfortunately the bungee net I had was too big so I started looking on the internet for one sized properly and low and behold Harbor Freight had the perfect sized net and prices at around $4 minus 20%. Went and picked one up and outfitted the top case as a beta test. The fit and function was so good I ended up going back and getting two more cargo nets and another trip to Lowes to get another 10 pack of 1/4" cable clips to do the L/R pannier lids.

So for about $15 I outfitted all 3 Varios with lid nets making the Varios even more flexible.

While I was at Harbor Freight I also picked up a Velcro LED under cabinet light for $7 and it works perfect for lighting the top case.

Then with necessity being the other of all invention and coming from a Guzzi background (cheaper is better) I set to work on a set of deflectors to keep my toes from getting wet. I had a section of 1/4" rubber mat from Tractor Supply and bought a few 3/4" rubberized conduit clamps and some machine screws at Lowes and a hour later sucess. I did use CAD (cardboard aided design) to make templates then it was down hill from there.

All told the mods cost about $100 ($22 in parts and $78 in beer).
Attached Images

Last edited by PerazziMx14; 16-Jan-2019 at 03:02 AM (376).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2019, 06:58 PM (040)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
I bought my GS a few months ago and it came with Vario luggage. I was looking for a way to stow my rain gear on the left pannier as its odd shaped an sort of useless. I rolled up my rain gear and stuffed it in the upper side and was not happy. I tried everywhere and thought the lid would be great but how to secure it. Then I looked over and say a bungee net laying in the tool box and the gears started turning. After a few minutes I saw screw in the interior of the panniers and had some cable clamps and it all came together. Unfortunately the bungee net I had was too big so I started looking on the internet for one sized properly and low and behold Harbor Freight had the perfect sized net and prices at around $4 - 20% it was worth a shot. When and picked one up and the fit was perfect. In fact it fit so well I ended up going back and getting two more and a trip to Lowes to get another 10 pack of 1.4" cable clips.

So for about $15 I outfitted all 3 Varios with lid nets making the Varios even more flexible.

While I was at Harbor Freight I also picked up a Velcro LED under cabinet light for $7 and it works perfect for lighting the top case.

Then with necessity being the other of all invention and coming from a Guzzi background (cheaper is better) I set to work on a set of deflectors to keep my toes from getting wet. I had a section of 1/4" rubber mat from Tractor Supply and bought a few 3/4" rubberized conduit clamps and some machine screws at Lowes and a hour later function. I did use CAD (cardboard aided design) to make templates then it was down hill from there.

All told the mods cost about $100 ($27 in parts and $77 in beer).

Mudflap addition

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 03:09 AM (381)

Great idea with the cargo net and top case light.
Thanks for sharing
Crowbar and LAS like this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 07:51 AM (577)
Super Awesom Person

If you still have the tag for the net could you post a picture?

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 08:06 AM (587) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
If you still have the tag for the net could you post a picture?
Motorcycle cargo net 12" x 15" Harbor Freight part number 50152 . Remove the hooks and your all set.

1/4" nylon cable clamps, Lowes - Item # 139498 Model # 881298
Attached Images

Kemo Sabe and Rick92040 like this.

Last edited by PerazziMx14; 15-Jan-2019 at 08:11 AM (591).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 08:38 AM (610)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
That's cool. How do you secure the cargo nets? are they affixed "permanently," ie, screwed into place? or do you utilize hooks? or something else? I couldn't see from your pics

Thanks

John
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 10:34 AM (690)

Garage
^^^^^

Looks like the hooks are removed and replaced with cable clamps that are then screwed into lid
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 11:03 AM (710) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
That's cool. How do you secure the cargo nets? are they affixed "permanently," ie, screwed into place? or do you utilize hooks? or something else? I couldn't see from your pics

Thanks

John

The cargo net is affixed with the five (5) cable clamps and the cargo net stretched enough to slide what ever you want to secure behind it.

An added bonus is if you route the lid stay strings like mine when you close the lid the spring tension of the elastic pulls the lid stay strings slightly inwards so no more pinching them in the lid.
Attached Images

Dr. Strangelove likes this.

Last edited by PerazziMx14; 15-Jan-2019 at 11:06 AM (713).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2019, 04:38 PM (943)

Garage
Great mod...love your solution for those pesky lid stay strings
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 27-Jan-2019, 07:41 PM (070)

Awesome Idea!

Looks factory as-well, well done !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode